2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
never in a million years the same thing that though, they scored the second with arguably the last kick of the game when we had everyone forward to try and get an equaliser, at 1-1 we don't risk that many people forward

no excuses from DCL or Walcott, both terrible misses

Something very dodgy looking about his “effort”.

Villa miss was bad but unfortunately his only opportunity of the game. Top strikers have a conversion rate of what, 20%? Score every 5 chances? We as a team need to start creating chances for our strikers which we haven’t done for years and even for Kean we’ll have to start.

From the small cameo Iwobi gave I have hope he’ll be the one looking to get balls into the box for whoever starts up front & I hope that translates into more chances and therefore more goals for Kean and DCL.

Those calling for Tosun to start are suffering from the ol’ “get better the longer they don’t play” syndrome and after 20 minutes of him being miles behind the play in all our counter-attacks you’ll have a lightbulb moment that he wasn’t the better option.
I agree that we don't create chances for our strikers at all even when we had Rom we barely did, Like you said with Iwobi sliding through balls it could change but how many times has DCL done a Wesley type run? Barely ever. He's a useful player but I've lost my patience and he shouldn't start another game unless Kean gets injured, I think Kean has show more instinct as a striker than DCL has in 3 games.

He's an ordinary player by premiership standards. The proof is there for all to see. For some reason the club believe he may develop into a decent premiership striker eventually. He has his attributes but there is no way he should be part of a team gunning for the top 6.

We didn't buy a ready made 1 in 3 goals premiership striker cos of money/wages and the fact we seem to be a club that struggles to attract this type of player.

Do you really think a 19 year old will get us into the top 6? I wasn't talking about DCL by the way!

Villa miss was bad but unfortunately his only opportunity of the game. Top strikers have a conversion rate of what, 20%? Score every 5 chances? We as a team need to start creating chances for our strikers which we haven’t done for years and even for Kean we’ll have to start.

From the small cameo Iwobi gave I have hope he’ll be the one looking to get balls into the box for whoever starts up front & I hope that translates into more chances and therefore more goals for Kean and DCL.

Those calling for Tosun to start are suffering from the ol’ “get better the longer they don’t play” syndrome and after 20 minutes of him being miles behind the play in all our counter-attacks you’ll have a lightbulb moment that he wasn’t the better option.
Top strikers also get themselves in positions to score goals too Nymz. It's far too easy to blame the rest of the team for not creating enough.

Apart from the usual suspects, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, and City, we're all much of a muchness for attempts on goal so far this season, and eight teams have had fewer attempts than us. The difference is we've only had 17% on target. Most have ratios over 30% and the likes of Norwich and Palace have over 50%.

I'm not blaming DCL in isolation for this, There must be half a dozen who have had excellent opportunities to score this season but failed to hit the target, and I think it's fair to say that had we taken even just a few of them we'd be sitting here with 9 points sharing top spot with the RS.

Yes we can create more, and I think once our players get up to speed we will. Only Bernard of our creative force has hit the ground running this season, but I'm confident that will change. But even if we do create more we still HAVE to increase our conversion rate. That's what is letting us down. DCL is as guilty of that as anybody and whilst some of the comments on here are predictably OTT, he still has to take his fair share of the responsibility/blame.

I take your point about Tosun playing on the counter. However I think both of our next opponents will play deep against us and either Tosun, or Kean if considered match ready, deserve the opportunity to start ahead of him.

Having this lad up front is like trying to play darts with a noodle.

He's an ordinary player by premiership standards. The proof is there for all to see. For some reason the club believe he may develop into a decent premiership striker eventually. He has his attributes but there is no way he should be part of a team gunning for the top 6.

We didn't buy a ready made 1 in 3 goals premiership striker cos of money/wages and the fact we seem to be a club that struggles to attract this type of player.

Do you really think a 19 year old will get us into the top 6? I wasn't talking about DCL by the way!
Yes, a 19 year old can get us into the top 6.

But regardless, the club doesn't think he's a top striker or else they wouldn't have bought Kean. I just don't understand why people have such a problem with DCL. We know he's not good enough, so does the club. He's only in there due to a lack of options. Kean will play soon and be an improvement.

It just seems to me that unless we get a quality striker with premier league experience , Kean probably will do better as he gets more playing time. DCL missed important chances against teams like Arsenal, Palac, Fulham and other teams that could of changed games. Plus his missed chance against Villa, I just don't think he should be in the team. Silva's loyalty to him is both bizarre and worrying, he shows zero sign of improvement. Even James Vaughan had that strikers instinct in front of goal, he doesn't show any sign of those skills. We got rid of Beckford after he scored countless goals, I don't know why we're so tolerant of mediocrity.
James Vaughan was a top draw striker ruined by injuries. He would have had a great career

Total joke, not rating Beckham.

His profile and brand were bigger than his standing as a player but that is largely down to the size of his profile not beacuse of his playing ability. He played every game like it was his last and led by example for England and to come back like he did after the treatment of him after his red card against Argentina , shows the kind of man he is and ended up being a great England captain in my eyes. Would walk into that England team now and stand out like dogs balls and even tho his profile is the stuff of dreams for players like lukaku and Pogba , his professionalism and attitude when on the pitch was top class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back