2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCL is improving every season. He's a proper number 9 and in good company for players that have scored 20+ goals for us in a single season. Makes no sense to get rid of him, unless we had a big bid on the table.

Competition for him though, is definitely needed.
Not even direct competition just be nice to be able to bench one of them every now and then. Feel like we’ve ran them both into the ground this season because the alternative is Bernard so they look goosed half the time

Would say DCL is the better play but he is so over rated in our fanbase its painful reading social media.

Seen someone on twitter say they would turn down £100 million for him if Chelsea/Utd made a bid lol

Strikers are hard to come by, but he's got the same amount of goals as bamford, 1 or 2 more than Watkins, these players cost <30m so where in this earth are some of your getting 80m from?

Said before over a dozen times, I don't mind DCL and he has improved and he's had an alrite season but [Poor language removed] me some on here make out he's prime Ronaldo because he had a very good start to the season.

80m though Jesus Christ, cuckoo land

It’s what the club have valued him at.. that’s where the figure is from

just to clear up your confusion- that’s official

Mate some people on here are saying we should reject 100m. Seen some people saying they wouldn't swap him for any striker in the league

DCL is improving every season. He's a proper number 9 and in good company for players that have scored 20+ goals for us in a single season. Makes no sense to get rid of him, unless we had a big bid on the table.

Competition for him though, is definitely needed.

Weve currently got 3 players 23/24 who could start in a top 4 side.

Thats DCL, Godfrey, Richarlison.

These guys should all be on 5 year contracts and the team built around them.

You dont sell these players unless theres a mega bid and youre confident that you can sign 2 younger players with higher ceilings in each of their places.

Its ok to sell DCL for £80-100mil...but what two players can you sign for that amount who are younger and likely going to be better?

You need to be building teams.

As @LocalNative says, DCL needs competition...thats where you bring in a Belotti for £25mil to add some experience.

In the knowledge that you can get your money back from Italian sides if he doesnt adapt. Meanwhile DCL has hopefully gone up a level and you then go about finding the next DCL.

I could see Godfrey starting at Liverpool and United, who else gets in anywhere?

DCL doesn't get near any of them 4, Richy on current form doesn't make the bench for these teams

You dont sell these players unless theres a mega bid and youre confident that you can sign 2 younger players with higher ceilings in each of their places.

Its ok to sell DCL for £80-100mil...but what two players can you sign for that amount who are younger and likely going to be better?

As @LocalNative says, DCL needs competition...thats where you bring in a Belotti for £25mil to add some experience.

In the knowledge that you can get your money back from Italian sides if he doesnt adapt. Meanwhile DCL has hopefully gone up a level and you then go about finding the next DCL.

DCL and richy in too 4 sides? You mean the Brazilian winger that has 7 assists since he’s been here ? And the striker that can’t shoot from further than 10 years out?

Have we sold him yet?

DCL and richy in too 4 sides? You mean the Brazilian winger that has 7 assists since he’s been here ? And the striker that can’t shoot from further than 10 years out?

In a team which has a very deep defence, no wide options aside from Digne and a half season James ?

Are you daft or just dont appreciate talent?

In a team which has a very deep defence, no wide options aside from Digne and a half season James ?

Are you daft or just dont appreciate talent?
You only have to look at the attempted combination play between Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison to see that they're not cut out for the top sides.

Both good mid-table players, operating at more or less the right level for their technical ability.

I'm not sure Godfrey starts for all top 6 sides, but I get the picture. I actually think Mina might get close to doing that. But you are right, we need to build around them.

Regarding selling, I am very two minded about this. I always go back to Warren Buffet, who states that his favourite holding position for businesses in his portfolio is forever. If you have a reliable asset you keep it. The contradiction though, is that particularly in his early career he would sell good businesses at the right price quite frequently. Essentially once a business hit the "intrinsic value" he would sell. I do wonder if we are still in that phase of development as a club?

You only have to look at the attempted combination play between Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison to see that they're not cut out for the top sides.

Both good mid-table players, operating at more or less the right level for their technical ability.

I kind of go between you both mate, but it's a fair point. They are both better than mid table players, even with Richarlison having a poor season. But I'm not sure either of them will be "elite" players and 80m+ is approaching an "elite" level transfer fee. We should probably be able to go and find players who with a bit of time can get close to that level again for much cheaper, so in a lot of ways it makes sense to cash in on eitehr if the price was in and around that point.

...it’s such an odd post.

i think the generalisation of players being ‘top 4‘, midtable and even Championship is wrong. Much depends on how a team plays and their requirements for a certain type of player.

Paul Power came into an Everton side and won a title, as did Wayne Clarke. They plugged gaps in a very good good team because they blended with what was already there.

I have absolutely no doubt Richarlison and DCL would get game time at top clubs. DCL in particular will be on the radar of top clubs. (actually some decent combination play between them against Villa recently. The fact the chemistry doesn’t seem right at this time doesn’t mean they are not capable of linking with others).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back