2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
...it’s such an odd post.

i think the generalisation of players being ‘top 4‘, midtable and even Championship is wrong. Much depends on how a team plays and their requirements for a certain type of player.

Paul Power came into an Everton side and won a title, as did Wayne Clarke. They plugged gaps in a very good good team because they blended with what was already there.

I have absolutely no doubt Richarlison and DCL would get game time at top clubs. DCL in particular will be on the radar of top clubs. (actually some decent combination play between them against Villa recently. The fact the chemistry doesn’t seem right at this time doesn’t mean they are not capable of linking with others).
The difference is that people are talking about spending serious money on these two, not bringing them in on the cheap to plug gaps (which I'm guessing was the case with both Power and Clarke). Plenty of players get a crack at stepping up a level by running down their contracts and making themselves available at a more appealing price, but for every Gary Cahill there's a Steve Sidwell or Scott Sinclair.

If we're using United as an example, them paying a standard fee for Calvert-Lewin (would that be £30m now?) would be about as low-risk as possible, but as they found out with Lukaku, when you start looking at over 2-3x the going rate, the degree of scrutiny increases along with the price, and people start asking why they aren't seeing another Rooney/Ronaldo/van Perise.

It's essentially the reason why Zaha is stuck at Palace, and why Sigurdsson should have been priced out of leaving Swansea.

Don't get me wrong, if you rate Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison as being among the world's best players, and you'd be happy to see Everton spend £80m on their ilk, fair enough. I just don't see them in the same light.

The difference is that people are talking about spending serious money on these two, not bringing them in on the cheap to plug gaps (which I'm guessing was the case with both Power and Clarke). Plenty of players get a crack at stepping up a level by running down their contracts and making themselves available at a more appealing price, but for every Gary Cahill there's a Steve Sidwell or Scott Sinclair.

If we're using United as an example, them paying a standard fee for Calvert-Lewin (would that be £30m now?) would be about as low-risk as possible, but as they found out with Lukaku, when you start looking at over 2-3x the going rate, the degree of scrutiny increases along with the price, and people start asking why they aren't seeing another Rooney/Ronaldo/van Perise.

It's essentially the reason why Zaha is stuck at Palace, and why Sigurdsson should have been priced out of leaving Swansea.

Don't get me wrong, if you rate Calvert-Lewin and Richarlison as being among the world's best players, and you'd be happy to see Everton spend £80m on their ilk, fair enough. I just don't see them in the same light.

...I was using the Power/Clarke analogy to highlight how wrong it is to label players. Nobby Styles couldn’t lace the boots of others but he won a World Cup Winners medal because Ramsey wanted somebody to ‘win the ball & give it to Charlton’.

DCL isn’t among the worlds best but the likes of Chelsea and City pay big bucks for players who rarely start. Richarlison and DCL will command big money and big clubs will definitely have them both on their radar. I can’t see either leaving unless they want to.

I'm not sure Godfrey starts for all top 6 sides, but I get the picture. I actually think Mina might get close to doing that. But you are right, we need to build around them.

Regarding selling, I am very two minded about this. I always go back to Warren Buffet, who states that his favourite holding position for businesses in his portfolio is forever. If you have a reliable asset you keep it. The contradiction though, is that particularly in his early career he would sell good businesses at the right price quite frequently. Essentially once a business hit the "intrinsic value" he would sell. I do wonder if we are still in that phase of development as a club?

If you look at buffet he really goes for 'great' long term assets...he doesnt really go for potential so much. So he'd not be looking at say 5 players...he'd be looking at 2 or 3.

Totally different ball game to building a football team where we are now unless we just focus on u23 players who are almost certainties to improve the team now and become stars over the next 5 years.

I kind of go between you both mate, but it's a fair point. They are both better than mid table players, even with Richarlison having a poor season. But I'm not sure either of them will be "elite" players and 80m+ is approaching an "elite" level transfer fee. We should probably be able to go and find players who with a bit of time can get close to that level again for much cheaper, so in a lot of ways it makes sense to cash in on eitehr if the price was in and around that point.

Would we sell DCL and Richarlison for under £80mil = no chance.

Would we sell Godfrey for a big fee...no.

Those are the players to keep unless a huge offer comes in.

If we were to go out and sign lets say a RB, RW, CM all under 23 then we add to the group.

If you want to take the buffet example, would you be willing to pay a premium for those players? I would.

You go for those players at the top of the list and get them...not the ones further down the list.

If you look at buffet he really goes for 'great' long term assets...he doesnt really go for potential so much. So he'd not be looking at say 5 players...he'd be looking at 2 or 3.

Totally different ball game to building a football team where we are now unless we just focus on u23 players who are almost certainties to improve the team now and become stars over the next 5 years.

Would we sell DCL and Richarlison for under £80mil = no chance.

Would we sell Godfrey for a big fee...no.

Those are the players to keep unless a huge offer comes in.

If we were to go out and sign lets say a RB, RW, CM all under 23 then we add to the group.

If you want to take the buffet example, would you be willing to pay a premium for those players? I would.

You go for those players at the top of the list and get them...not the ones further down the list.

...i agree: you say: ‘those are the players you keep unless a huge offer comes in’, but I would add ‘they are players you keep unless they say they want to leave’. If they want to leave, I am of an opinion its pointless keeping them but you would only let them go for big bucks.

...i agree: you say: ‘those are the players you keep unless a huge offer comes in’, but I would add ‘they are players you keep unless they say they want to leave’. If they want to leave, I am of an opinion its pointless keeping them but you would only let them go for big bucks.

Exactly...i think Godfey/DCL both have 4 years left so were in control there. Richarlison only 3 and you dont really want it to drop to 2 years for your top players.

DCL scored in 13 Premier League games this season. Hardly 80m standard.

Woods scored in 10 PL Games
Bamford scored in 14 PL Games
Watkins scored in 11 PL Games

He’s just pretty crap at almost everything he does on the pitch, few decent moments and a lot of 6 yards tap ins. The over hype in here is ridiculous.

He’s just pretty crap at almost everything he does on the pitch, few decent moments and a lot of 6 yards tap ins. The over hype in here is ridiculous.
Hahahahhahahahahahahah lol lol lol

People criticizing him for his drought mid season need some perspective. he can't be the only consistent provider of goals despite being the main striker. Others have to contribute and that's why an actual sub who can score goals is desperately needed

The guys that understand the game think different I’m afraid., players player love that!

he can go for miserable fans player next year., cast your vote !

He's back baby.

I've reconsidered my view of DCL and I think you're right mate.

He's utter pony. We should rip the arms off whichever mugs come in for him and reinvest in strikers who are genuinely feared or have a high potential ceiling.

For £80 million we could get in an experienced warhorse like Troy Deaney and someone like Tammy Abraham who could learn the ways of centre forward play from the wiley old stager. I also reckon we could maybe get that lad Robson-Kanu from West Brom. He'd be a real bargain, an experienced team striker. He'd help bring through Ellis Sims I reckon.

What you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back