2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.

It feels like there’s something the club aren’t telling us about him. Lampard said he needed to get him up to fitness, now Dyche saying the same. Lampard made repeated references to “managing” his workload as well. It’s all sounds like there’s some sort of chronic injury that won’t go away and he can’t/won’t recover properly from it, meanwhile he’s picking up all these niggles.

All in all making it was even crazier of the club to sell Richie, leaving us with Maupay and Simms as our only backup and the liiehood they’d have to play a lot of games.
Could it be a mental health issue perhaps?

That's why I'm reluctant to criticise the lad.

DCL himself, after he scored the winner against Palace last season that guaranteed our survival, said that talking therapies had literally saved his life.

Before we condemn the kid for being a wuss we must first know exactly what's wrong with him. If it's a tight calf or whatever then that's a joke, but I fear that it could be much more serious than that.

It’s not all about physical “fitness” though is it, sometimes it’s to do with the six inches between the ears!
Such an excellent point.

We have no idea what he may or may not be going through and as Evertonians we have a duty to support our players.

Ever since Gary Speed's death I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their travails.

I can see him becoming another Dean Ashton, promising young striker ruined by injuries and retired very young. One thing I'm wondering and stood out to me was I think when Dyche came in one of his first quotes about him was "he wasn't as fit as he thought", meaning Calvert Lewin thought himself that he wasn't fit enough to play but Dyche could see that he was, maybe it's a big mentality issue with him too where he just can't push through the discomfort, much like Mina.

I don't think any player should ever be forced to play for any reason, especially when they're actually injured but taking Coleman for instance I know for a fact that no matter what if the manager asked him to play he would despite injury, age or anything, I'm not sure I can honestly say that about Calvert Lewin or certainly Mina anymore, Delph was the exact same. Certainly injury prone players but no where near as bad as they make out, they could get through 60 minutes every week if the HAD to, they just choose not to.

Could it be a mental health issue perhaps?

That's why I'm reluctant to criticise the lad.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin himself, after he scored the winner against Palace last season that guaranteed our survival, said that talking therapies had literally saved his life.

Before we condemn the kid for being a wuss we must first know exactly what's wrong with him. If it's a tight calf or whatever then that's a joke, but I fear that it could be much more serious than that.
I think this on and your other posts here are spot on, to a certain extent though. The club has always stated, no matter the manager, that it's injury and fitness issues. I remember when Lennon was here and went through that bad spell it was never clearly expressed as him being specifically injured, he was just "out", if I remember correctly. Obviously players are entitled to their privacy but look at Sancho recently, was allowed to be left out due to his own personal issues and got nothing but support from the United fans and was able to return to great reception once he felt good enough.

If the club are going to frame it as Calvert Lewin is injured and struggles to get through games without getting injured then fans will only logically treat him like a constantly injured player. If it came out that he was facing some troubling personal issues or anything like that people would get off his back but at the same time the club are in desperate times and they see a lad who they've been told is just injured and not really up for it, of course he'd face criticism.

It's a crap situation but I feel like much like everything the club does they're getting the reaction that they're getting because of the message they're putting out.

Thing is though when fit and I mean really match fit he is one of the better strikers in the prem, so he is no turd.
Screenshot_2022-09-01-22-39-56-51_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.webp
nothing to get excited about...

Nothing has been said so maybe just chillout a bit.
not true the 'same lingering rubbish where we hear all about how important he is/will be/was' has been said. Hearing Dyche talk about him was Lampard with a gravelly voice. It would be truly Everton if we nurse him back to 100% in time for a summer transfer on the cheap. Have to use him when not 100% provided he's not seriously injured because he is still better than other options who are 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back