Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that’s not the point though is it Danny. Yes it's came from having a pop at the fans, however this really boils down to how Dom has been treated when here.

Can you honestly say that you believe Seamus has received the same level of abuse as Dom for his injuries? I'm talking on here, Twitter, at the game or the pub.

Can you honestly say that he's received the same level of flak in general? So it leaves me to wonder why. If a player isn't performing, then there has been criticism.

I'm guilty of that myself, and yes it can become frustrating. But is prejudice okay? Is the behaviour of our fan base okay? And that's my real, wider worry.

Personally, I think there's a mentality of turning a blind eye or a head in the sand because if the numerous incidents were at another club, we'd be pelting them.

The undefendable needs to be dealt with, and my view won't change on that. There are thousands of great blues, but we're measured as a collective.

Dom wouldn't have had to make those comments if the needless abuse hadn't come in the first place.
I for one, honestly believe that if Calvert Lewin was white, our star striker and injured as much as he has been, he would have absolutely received exactly the same amount of crap on here or at the game. Throw in white English or even scouse as well if you’d like, I’ve never seen anyone acting out because he’s a black lad. Maupay, Mykolenko, Keane all get worse abuse than Dom and it all comes down to them not kicking a ball very well.

What I do think is different is Twitter because that place is full of absolute pond scum but I’m not really sure what we can do about that and the truth is, it’s not necessarily even evertonians, it’s just absolute freaks who go around DMing black celebrities.

Phil, there's no way the stick DCL got was racial.

Imo he's had the stick bent right back for him by Everton supporters who have been willing him to find fitness and form again.

I just don't buy the prejudice angle on this.
So, I go back to the point of why hasn't Seamus received anywhere near the same levels of abuse as per injuries? Go and search through both of last year's threads.

Look back further. @GrandOldTeam, you feel it isn't disproportionate and that's your view; what I hear at the match, and have heard previously, doesn't marry up.

Keane and Maupay have received unfair criticism - I agree - but that's been performances on the pitch, which is partly down to them. Dom's injuries isn't his fault.

There's a different been overt bias and subconscious. If Coleman had been in the Villa game and gone off injured, again would the fans have booed him?

So, I go back to the point of why hasn't Seamus received anywhere near the same levels of abuse as per injuries? Go and search through both of last year's threads.

Look back further. @GrandOldTeam, you feel it isn't disproportionate and that's your own view. What I hear at the match, and have heard previously, doesn't marry up.

Keane and Maupay have gone unfair criticism - I agree - but that's been performances on the pitch, which is partly down to them. Dom's injuries isn't his fault.
There's going to be a stubborn minority of knuckle draggers who support Everton, but that's a thing of the past now. No way our own players get racially abused by anything other than a few divvies.

DCL was (harshly and mistakenly) booed for looking to want to get out of the fray when we needed him. That's it basically.

Look back further. @GrandOldTeam, you feel it isn't disproportionate and that's your view; what I hear at the match, and have heard previously, doesn't marry up.

Keane and Maupay have received unfair criticism - I agree - but that's been performances on the pitch, which is partly down to them. Dom's injuries isn't his fault.

There's a different been overt bias and subconscious.
Because we can live without Seamus so there’s less frustration. The frustration at Dom’s injuries won’t be as loud now if Beto is playing well, this frustration all boils down to the team being crap to be honest. If Dom had got injured and we won every game nobody would be frustrated.

There's going to be a stubborn minority of knuckle draggers who support Everton, but that's a thing of the past now. No way our own players get racially abused by anything other than a few divvies.

DCL was (harshly) booed for looking to want to get out of the fray when we needed him. That's it basically.
Again, I added the final part of overt bias and subconscious, which explained my point further. You also talk about a minority of knuckle draggers.

It is a minority, however I go back to the number of noteworthy incidents per game over the past few seasons, and compare it with other clubs in the league.

This is where my real concern is. People may disagree - that's the prerogative - but I deal with dross on a daily basis, and sadly I see too much in our fan base.

Again, I added the final part of overt bias and subconscious, which explained my point further. You also talk about a minority of knuckle draggers.

It is a minority, however I go back to the number of noteworthy incidents per game over the past few seasons, and compare it with other clubs in the league.

This is where my real concern is. People may disagree - that's the prerogative - but I deal with dross on a daily basis, and sadly I see too much in our fan base.
Mate, you'd have to back that up with some data.

That looks like a reach to me.

Mate, you'd have to back that up with some data.

That looks like a reach to me.
I’ve had a quick google, and can’t see one club who has had fans who’ve chased their own players down post-game, thrown a bottle at an ex-player..

… punched an opposition player, at least one racially abused opposition players. It’s the collective amount that doesn’t feel right to me.

But to be fair, I wouldn’t dislike a player because of their Christian denomination and the team they’ve previously played for.

Because we can live without Seamus so there’s less frustration. The frustration at Dom’s injuries won’t be as loud now if Beto is playing well, this frustration all boils down to the team being crap to be honest. If Dom had got injured and we won every game nobody would be frustrated.
That’s probably a fair point, and admittedly I’ve not talked about other factors. But, I think his clothing and other elements are contributing factors.

Anyway, I think the debate has gone off track. Dom looks fit again, he scored and hopefully there’s hunger in him. Beto being back will only help.

I’ve had a quick google, and can’t see one club who has had fans who’ve chased their own players down post-game, thrown a bottle at an ex-player..

… punched an opposition player, at least one racially abused opposition players. It’s the collective amount that doesn’t feel right to me.

But to be fair, I wouldn’t dislike a player because of their Christian denomination and the team they’ve previously played for.

WTaF!

Just say you have no facts to back up your outrageous outburst with.

🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back