Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't go off straight away.

No way the fans knew he'd fractured his cheekbone - the club didn't initially either otherwise he'd have gone straight off.

The point is you're saying "So he gets booed for fracturing his cheekbone after committing to a 50/50 challenge?" and I'm saying fans obviously didn't know he'd fractured his cheekbone.
But he was clearly hurt. As he went down and had the medical support come on. And then had quite a visible mark on his face iirc. And a substitute happening at that time of the game would indicate an injury. Even if you don’t know he has a fractured cheekbone, it was obvious he was injured. Therefore booing him is the wrong thing to do.

No way the fans knew he'd fractured his cheekbone - the club didn't initially either otherwise he'd have gone straight off.

The point is you're saying "So he gets booed for fracturing his cheekbone after committing to a 50/50 challenge?" and I'm saying fans obviously didn't know he'd fractured his cheekbone.
They didn't have to know the extent of the injury. They just had to apply a bit of common sense - player had a heavy collision and could well be seriously injured if he's going off. Therefore, ridiculous to boo.

They didn't have to know the extent of the injury. They just had to apply a bit of common sense - player had a heavy collision and could well be seriously injured if he's going off. Therefore, ridiculous to boo.

Its a football game in a stadium with atmosphere. Have you never been caught up in the emotion of a game for a few seconds. Its like when you see still photo's of fans from any club with a opposition striker celebrating. The two finger salutes split second anger/emotions.
Ive done it 100s of times down the years.

So he gets booed for fracturing his cheekbone after committing to a 50/50 challenge? He would have got grief for not going for it and people questioning his commitment.

No one is suggesting a standing ovation. A dumb exaggeration there.

The booing by that section of fans was pathetic and unnecessary as it was targeted at him. He had every right to call that section of fans out.

He can do as he pleases. Obviously in his head he feels hard done by when it comes to the fans, and I'm sure it's not just from that one Aston Villa game.

I'm convinced he was on the verge of a big money move before the injuries struck and that probably gives him a lot of frustration. The chance to get away from a club where he's never felt loved was there and it passed him by.

Fine, but you're sort of hinting that booing because he went off injured is ok (just that it wouldn't have been if they'd known he'd fractured a cheekbone)

I'm putting words in your mouth there like, but frustration is one thing, booing a player because he's injured isn't ok. He doesn't choose to get injured

So they booed him because they may have believed he had pulled a hamstring (or similar injury), which isn't his fault either? It doesn't make it right at all.

We can be frustrated with performances and with recent performances behind the scenes, but defending it is at a minimum crass behaviour in itself.

I've said it in the past and people, including yourself, have shot it down, but I find it hard to believe that there isn't some ulterior motive behind the flak he gets.

Not from all, but from some. @Mikey_Fitzgerald mentioned it before about how as a fan base we probably don't do enough to criticise those in the wrong.

It may be a minority, yet that minority has thrown a bottle at Digne, chased down players in their cars, punched an opposition player, abused Tony... et al.

There is a problem within our fan base, and failure to acknowledge that worries me. Should Dom have said what he said? Perhaps not, but I understand it.

With the booing and some of the horrid abuse he gets, I wouldn't be surprised if he does eventually go to another club and possibly with some animosity.

Yes he's had a lot of support from many, but does it balance out the abuse?

Professional footballers will always have to 'prove' themselves against a section of fans.

That's football.

My point is a very simple one - players criticising their own fans gives headlines towards a fanbase that isn't helpful for the club. Particularly our club after we've had our own custodians intentionally throw their fans under a bus in self preservation.

Rather than talking about Calvert-Lewin getting some minutes and him scoring a goal, a lot of the debate online and here are his comments.

Very true Tim, it was in the past - over a month ago. Leave it there.
I don't have an issue with what he said though. The media will get a story out of it but I dont really mind. The scoreline is what matters, not post match interviews

Fine, but you're sort of hinting that booing because he went off injured is ok (just that it wouldn't have been if they'd known he'd fractured a cheekbone)

I'm putting words in your mouth there like, but frustration is one thing, booing a player because he's injured isn't ok. He doesn't choose to get injured

You are indeed putting words in my mouth.

I'm just saying to the poster that saying "fans booed him for fracturing his cheekbone" is a tad disingious because they didn't know he'd fractured his cheekbone.

Fans wouldn't have thought it was serious because he carried on before then going off with a facial injury.

Fans can't see a mark on a player's face from the stand. The assumption would have been it wasn't too serious because medical staff let him carry on.

So they booed him because they may have believed he had pulled a hamstring (or similar injury), which isn't his fault either? It doesn't make it right at all.

We can be frustrated with performances and with recent performances behind the scenes, but defending it is at a minimum crass behaviour in itself.

I've said it in the past and people, including yourself, have shot it down, but I find it hard to believe that there isn't some ulterior motive behind the flak he gets.

Not from all, but from some. @Mikey_Fitzgerald mentioned it before about how as a fan base we probably don't do enough to criticise those in the wrong.

It may be a minority, yet that minority has thrown a bottle at Digne, chased down players in their cars, punched an opposition player, abused Tony... et al.

There is a problem within our fan base, and failure to acknowledge that worries me. Should Dom have said what he said? Perhaps not, but I understand it.

With the booing and some of the horrid abuse he gets, I wouldn't be surprised if he does eventually go to another club and possibly with some animosity.

Yes he's had a lot of support from many, but does it balance out the abuse?

Ulterior motive to the flak he gets? What's the ulterior motive to the rest of your examples? Digne? Gordon? Tony?

Football is a cross-section of society and those issues exist in society and all football.

Every single footballer is entitled to have a pop at fans. Every one. At every club.

No matter who they are or who they play for - they've taken stick from their fans at some point.

Whether they should, and the timing of which is another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back