Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know where to start with this car crash of a post.

Firstly, I don't care if someone happens to support the same football club as me, if they behave like a d1ckhead they will be rightly called out. Frustration would be booing the whole team off at the end, not targeted at one player who's very clearly just been pole axed with a bad head injury. And don't give me the "we didn't know" guff, I've spoken to Blues who were there who said it was clear he was hurt.

Secondly, you can't praise our fans when they are amazing (and largely they are) but then refuse to accept when they get it wrong. Whether that's one fan or one thousand, it doesn't matter.

And finally, this point about them spending money and travelling a lot to go to away games... SO WHAT??? Does this give them carte blanche to behave however they want? Sick of that school yard mentality.

The fact that so many on here get so upset when someone rightly criticizes our fans is bizarre.

And don't call me Shirley.
Good morning 🌞:D:D

The snippet without the rest of his comments make it sound worse than what it was. He said he knows the fans just want me to do well and it was just frustration.

Problem is in this world the headline is the part they can sensationalise to create that needle.

Exactly. Yesterday for me was finally a bit of positive. Decent result decent performance.
Last 8 or 9 pages on here have been about that comment.
Could have put more thought into that straight after the game imo.
Its not the end of the world but no non Everton outlet ive read today said "some" fans. The headline was just Everton fans.

Sadly there is a contingent of our fan base that will never give him the benefit of the doubt and will actively look for reasons to have a go at him

Those were the ones booing at Villa, and they’ve been after him for years before that

They do not represent the fan base as a whole

However, I feel not enough is done by decent supporters to hold these bad ones to account, and I must include myself in that as I stood there at Villa disgusted by the boos but too intimidated and scared to do or say anything about it

The day we all turn around to those blerts as a united group and tell them to sod off and shut up will be the day Everton Football Club improves exponentially
👏🏻

Nah, we had them headlines over a month ago from his dad slating the club when it happened.

The new headlines happened because Calvert-Lewin decided to revisit it.

The reality is, frustration inevitably causes nob head behaviour.

Everton fans have had to put up with a hell of a lot of frustration over the last few years. It doesn't excuse it.

But professionals have to rise above it- or if they really can't and want to go out your way to have a dig, at least temper it with reference to the support too.

There's a reason Everton have excluded his comment about fans booing him...

... because it's not helpful. Washing laundry in public - as I said, we've had too many at the club, too quick to throw fans under the bus the last few years.

The best talking Calvert-Lewin can do is on the pitch.

IMO, Calvert-Lewin doesn't renew his deal and leaves this summer IMO if he isn't injured - and it'll be those nasty fans fault. Just like with Anthony Gordon. *shakes fist.

So don't air your anger towards bellend fans because the club is currently a mess and doesn't need the bad publicity? Is that what you're saying with his comments and his dad's comments? (He only gets interviewed after a win/goal so he hadn't had the chance to comment on Villa till now hence the gap).

He will not renew his deal and he will leave if fit and it may well be down to the online abuse and some IRL abuse he gets from fans and who could even blame him. A quick "calvert-lewin fans" search on Google has yesterday's stuff, quotes from fans calling him a disgrace for missing a chance, a load of bollocks about his fashion stuff etc.

Think your stance here is bizarre. It needed saying, I'm glad he did, I'm not arsed how it reflects on a club who are constantly in the media not because of him.

So don't air your anger towards bellend fans because the club is currently a mess and doesn't need the bad publicity? Is that what you're saying with his comments and his dad's comments? (He only gets interviewed after a win/goal so he hadn't had the chance to comment on Villa till now hence the gap).

Yes, that's absolutely what I'm saying.

Every club has fans that criticise their players - Michael Keane doesn't have a pop. Harry Maguire doesn't. Closer to home for Calvert-Lewin - I recall Xhaka getting massive abuse and he reacted to and overwhelming punditry was it was a bad idea. Eboué before him.

Is it helpful for fans to snarl towards players? No.
Is it helpful for players to snarl towards fans? No.

We're on our arse;

.... let's not have the board, or players encouraging more angst on the club. We've had enough bad coverage - the headlines were all there from that incident from August, we don't need more.

Nah, we had them headlines over a month ago from his dad slating the club when it happened.

Everton fans have had to put up with a hell of a lot of frustration over the last few years. It doesn't excuse it.

But professionals have to rise above it- or if they really can't and want to go out your way to have a dig, at least temper it with reference to the support too.

... because it's not helpful. Washing laundry in public - as I said, we've had too many at the club, too quick to throw fans under the bus the last few years.

IMO, Calvert-Lewin doesn't renew his deal and leaves this summer IMO if he isn't injured - and it'll be those nasty fans fault. Just like with Anthony Gordon. *shakes fist.
What is your point, his Dad words where clearly Dom's views just released through his Dad. If people take a pop shot at him and boo him when it has gone wrong. Then he has the right to fire back when doing well.

Think this issue is being blown out of proportion. DCL said nothing that wasn't true and he was fairly pragmatic about the whole thing. It wasn't said in a confrontational way as far as I interpreted it.

Our fans are great, and extremely loyal. But the booing of him at Villa when he got a fractured cheekbone was embarrassing. Both are true, but it's done and in the past.

What is your point, his Dad words where clearly Dom's views just released through his Dad. If people take a pop shot at him and boo him when it has gone wrong. Then he has the right to fire back when doing well.

Professional footballers will always have to 'prove' themselves against a section of fans.

That's football.

My point is a very simple one - players criticising their own fans gives headlines towards a fanbase that isn't helpful for the club. Particularly our club after we've had our own custodians intentionally throw their fans under a bus in self preservation.

Rather than talking about Calvert-Lewin getting some minutes and him scoring a goal, a lot of the debate online and here are his comments.

Think this issue is being blown out of proportion. DCL said nothing that wasn't true and he was fairly pragmatic about the whole thing. It wasn't said in a confrontational way as far as I interpreted it.

Our fans are great, and extremely loyal. But the booing of him at Villa when he got a fractured cheekbone was embarrassing. Both are true, but it's done and in the past.

Very true Tim, it was in the past - over a month ago. Leave it there.

Yes, that's absolutely what I'm saying.

Every club has fans that criticise their players - Michael Keane doesn't have a pop. Harry Maguire doesn't. Closer to home for Calvert-Lewin - I recall Xhaka getting massive abuse and he reacted to and overwhelming punditry was it was a bad idea. Eboué before him.

Is it helpful for fans to snarl towards players? No.
Is it helpful for players to snarl towards fans? No.

We're on our arse;

.... let's not have the board, or players encouraging more angst on the club. We've had enough bad coverage - the headlines were all there from that incident from August, we don't need more.

Personally couldn't give a toss how the club is viewed by the outside world. It's viewed badly because we're a circus and that circus should not be used as an excuse to cover up nobhead behaviour. How will people ever learn if they think they can say what they want just because the team are crap?

I heard his comments as it being odd that he was booed off by our fans, then cheered off this week but the booing he is treating it as it serves, ie forget it, and relishing the cheering off today. I think we need to forget his comments, get behind him and the team and move on up the table.

And there would be no headlines at any time without the actions of those fans....

You open up a really toxic space in these discussions with arguments like "professionals have to rise above it". There's stick and there's stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back