Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree he does get a lot of stick on forums etc, but he does not get support on the pitch.
When has there ever been a banner for him, like I say a song, or when his name announced a massive cheer?

I dont really judge the support on banners. Lets be real here. He's not a great Everton no 9 like Joe Royle. His goal tally at Everton isnt brilliant. He's been more relied on at Everton because of how badly the club has been run and he's the only option. Otherwise he wouldnt be such a talking point. Beto being signed has proved that. Calvert lewin wasnt hardly mentioned in the build up to yest.
Ive no issue with this lad. But ive been at many games when the crowd are behind him.

Took his goal very well yesterday but I think coming off the bench after Beto has had a go at them might be the ideal role for him.

He’s unquestionably technically better than Beto but I feel like Beto puts himself about more than him so then he can come on against tired legs. It will be much better for his body too because I just don’t think he has it in him to be a regular starter anymore with the injuries.

The fact that you say they boo players due to their own frustrations doesn’t make it right. It just shows the huge difference between fans and professional athletes. It certainly won’t change anything in a positive manner. It will only make players play with fear, within themselves or alienate them from their own fan base.

I can tell you right now, there’s no negativity whatsoever behind the scenes, in the changing rooms or on the training pitch in professional football. It’s ALL about staying positive, parking mistakes, learning from them and moving forward. Being scared to make a mistake is the biggest mistake and leads to players refusing to take responsibility, keeping it “safe” and hiding on the pitch. We’ve had lots of players like that recently (I wonder why??)

The whole environment at clubs is geared to keeping negativity away.

This constant framing of the fans are to blame just isn't for me. We've had people turn up to see the team off to away games and coach welcomes for Premier League games that others only get for their biggest European nights. If we've had players hiding on the pitch and keeping it safe, it's because they can't cope with the pressure of playing for a club that demands more than constant relegation battles. The support and atmosphere at plenty of games over the past two years is beyond what so 'big clubs' would've offered in the circumstances. The likes of Aston Villa and Newcastle succumbed to relegation with nothing more than a whimper from their supporters.

What you seem to be demanding amounts to toxic positivity. You're surprised that the players would leave the pitch to a chorus of boos when we lose 4-1 at home to the likes of Brighton, but I'd argue that those shocking performances should be acknowledged. The second you start to clap those performances for the effort is the exact time where the players start to accept relegation.

I agree he does get a lot of stick on forums etc, but he does not get support on the pitch.
When has there ever been a banner for him, like I say a song, or when his name announced a massive cheer?

It's sad because going back years now I think he actually said himself he'd love his name to be sang.

His best seasons coming at the time when Covid hit and there were no fans didn't help. Since then, injury after injury when he is such an important player for us has been a bitter pill to swallow. Especially when some of the injuries have appeared innocuous. Then there's also the fashion outside of the pitch. Whether we like it or not that is always going to attract a negative response from people who think everything should be geared towards football. That gets consistently commented upon by opposition fans too so I wouldn't say it's just an Everton thing - more of a reflection upon society.

He is always going to get positive and negative comments. Getting purely positive feedback is no good for anyone and the detractors will have points he can learn from.

Sticking him in a safe space and telling him only what he wants to hear causes all sorts of issues.

I think he gets lots of support, the away end was singing his name yesterday. I’m sure I’ve heard the gwladys street singing it as well. I’ve heard loads of fans shouting and encouraging “go on Dom” etc and applause when his name is announced.

Good goal yesterday, first away from home in 2.5 years from open play? He needs to do more, keep it coming.

Took his goal very well yesterday but I think coming off the bench after Beto has had a go at them might be the ideal role for him.

He’s unquestionably technically better than Beto but I feel like Beto puts himself about more than him so then he can come on against tired legs. It will be much better for his body too because I just don’t think he has it in him to be a regular starter anymore with the injuries.
Had the same thought myself yesterday but then wondered if it’d be better to flip it on its head.

Have DCL on from the start with Beto as a 60-ish min sub to exploit tiring defenders with his pace and power.

In an ideal world we win all the time and sing DCL's name until our voices run dry, but it's not been ideal - in fact the last few years we've been to hell and back.

When your star striker is constantly injured, unable to perform and you're in back to back relegation battles, it's hardly surprising people are going to question his commitment to the cause. I know where you're coming from but believe me when I say the boo boys don't do it out of a personal vendetta against DCL. It happens because they're ridiculously frustrated at how bad we've been for the last 30 years.
They literally booed him and only him. It wasn’t the team that got booed at the end of a game. So it was definitely personal.

It was solely DCL because he was coming off with an injury. An injury he got by being fully committed and going for the ball.

It was pathetic from the fans. And is a very different scenario to being booed off as a team after several crap performances.

Just watched his goal for about the 10th time. His first touch was sublime, how many times do you see players have a heavy touch and the ball goes away from them. Gave himself time to adjust and slot the ball through the keeper, brilliant finish imo.

They literally booed him and only him. It wasn’t the team that got booed at the end of a game. So it was definitely personal.

It was solely DCL because he was coming off with an injury. An injury he got by being fully committed and going for the ball.

It was pathetic from the fans. And is a very different scenario to being booed off as a team after several crap performances.
Exactly - it was targetted. People will mention the frustration and the intensity of being there, but for me it was inexcusable at the time and still is.

A player doesn't choose to get injured, but sadly some fans ignore this glaring fact. It was another example of some of our fan base being utter cretins.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dom does hold some resentment about it, and hopefully it can only fuel him to prove some of the dross wrong.

Sure, go out your way to have a dig and bring up a minority of frustrated fans who knee jerked in a moment with idiocy at Villa Park - deserved to have a pop at them, but also maybe occasionally reference the tremendous support and patience he's had from fans since he arrived too.

I mean, it's hardly the first time he's been given unwarranted stick. Think people are focusing too much on the Villa game like that was an isolated incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back