Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe me but there used to be loads of 15-20 a season or at least quality strikers littered up and down the league back in the 90-2000s
I think the amount of people actually scoring that amount of goals is probably about the same its probably that you remember people who were capable of scoring 15 whether they actually did or not and obviously the same thing happens now like some people will think of Dom as a 15 goal striker even though it's taken him more than 3 years to score his last 15 goals.

Back to goal, he is the best we have atm - Beto is not a back to goal player, his strength is a through ball to run on too - he has the ability to bully defences - we play mainly a long ball game, so Dyche IMO should be aiming for 442 - Beto could start wider than DCL & use his attributes better there IMO - as I stated two wingers & one striker in the box is not working goal wise we lack creation too - we struggle to score in the formation we have - the 10 point deduction has not helped either .....
I have to agree DCL is missing the one chance he should be scoring, but it's slim pickings for him atm as it would be for any striker in our formation .....
Beto wide would be awful the lad can hardly control a ball and his positioning is terrible!

How does that compare to him out of the team - like last year?

I think we had scored 13 at the turn of the year last year and have 24 this season.

Just had a peak there good few teams of the same goal for as us - Man Utd for one.

Amazing you have somehow still got an excuse for this fraud.

0 goals in 3 and a half months, he's not good enough.

Amazing you have somehow still got an excuse for this fraud.

0 goals in 3 and a half months, he's not good enough.

I think its very easy just to judge strikers on goals, i think any striker in the league would struggle to score in the role we play our no 9 in.

Id be critical of him if he was hatching in the box like he was under Carlo and you have Gylfi, Jamo and Richarlison pulling the strings behind, but hes out of the box for the majority of the game these days.

But under Dyche, hes being asked to be outlet, occupy the flanks and only get into the box in the second phase. He occupies centre half's well, push's them deep and that creates a hell of a lot of space for Doucoure, McNeill in particular to run into.

We all watch games, surely we see that.

Im not dye in the wool DCL at all cost BTW - i think hes a poor finisher and lacks composure, you can go back years and find loads of posts with me saying that, hes not as good as some make out, but hes not half as bad as others will say either.

Last edited:
He can't control it down the middle, either - his one goal came wide right ?
He wasn't playing wide though he just got the ball there its not the same thing! In the middle he can be a nuisance and he makes some good runs out wide he would be useless because he couldn't do the job we need him to I can't think of anyone less suited to being a winger than him especially under Dyche.

He wasn't playing wide though he just got the ball there its not the same thing! In the middle he can be a nuisance and he makes some good runs out wide he would be useless because he couldn't do the job we need him to I can't think of anyone less suited to being a winger than him especially under Dyche.
Did I say use him as a winger - I stated we don't need two wingers I feel playing him too close to DCL they would get in each other's way I would have him roaming all over the front line & just behind DCL 442 may fetch more goals ....

I think its very easy just to judge strikers on goals, i think any striker in the league would struggle to score in the role we play our no 9 in.

This is were your argument falls short straight off though mate, most strikers don't have the worst xg in Europe's top leagues like DCL does, so most strikers would have madr more of the opportunity's dcl has had.

Said 100x and I'll say again, people over rate dcl ridiculously because of how bad our options have been in recent years when he's been injured, but in reality he's only a slight improvement on them himself.

This is were your argument falls short straight off though mate, most strikers don't have the worst xg in Europe's top leagues like DCL does, so most strikers would have madr more of the opportunity's dcl has had.

Said 100x and I'll say again, people over rate dcl ridiculously because of how bad our options have been in recent years when he's been injured, but in reality he's only a slight improvement on them himself.

Dont think it does to be honest, the system obviously plays a part in that and the quality of the chances - there is a big difference Silva and Foden giving a tap in into Haaland, then Myko booting in a 60 yarder to get on the end off. He XG is somewhere at about 7 from memory, but its XG difference you need to look at, in the PL alone Nicholas Jackson has a greater one and does Jimenez at Fulham.

His is high enough admittedly, but i stand by the points i made above.

Last edited:

Id be critical of him if he was hatching in the box like he was under Carlo and you have Gylfi, Jamo and Richarlison pulling the strings behind, but hes out of the box for the majority of the game these days.

But under Dyche, hes being asked to be outlet, occupy the flanks and only get into the box in the second phase. He occupies centre half's well, push's them deep and that creates a hell of a lot of space for Doucoure, McNeill in particular to run into.

We all watch games, surely we see that.

Im not dye in the wool DCL at all cost BTW - i think hes a poor finisher and lacks composure, you can go back years and find loads of posts with me saying that, hes not as good as some make out, but hes not half as bad as others will say either.
He gets an OK number of chances in my opinion obviously we're not City but its not like we ask him to do all the donkey work and he never gets a chance he could easy have 7 or 8 goals and that would be a good season on the cards for him. But he's not scoring and in the last few games he's been quite poor in normal play aswell but he has been better than Beto so he'll probably keep playing.

He gets an OK number of chances in my opinion obviously we're not City but its not like we ask him to do all the donkey work and he never gets a chance he could easy have 7 or 8 goals and that would be a good season on the cards for him. But he's not scoring and in the last few games he's been quite poor in normal play aswell but he has been better than Beto so he'll probably keep playing.

All fair points mate. I wouldn't disagree with any of that mate and agree with a lot of it - hes off form - he should be doing better IMO with the chances hes had and should be coming home double digits over a season. My point is the absolutes around it, hes not as good as some make out but not as bad as many are saying in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back