Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
As @GrandOldTeam said earlier, we have 2 wingers and 2 fullbacks who dont know what a cross is, not a single midfielder who knows what a through ball looks like and a Striker that feeds off crosses into the area and playing on the shoulder of the last defender.

It comes as no surprise that he is miss firing, hes probably seized up from lack of use.
Genuine question here Goat. Everyone says DCL can't score because of others not providing him service (not his fault). They then go on to say Beto is crap and never looks like scoring ( same players on the pitch who don't support DCL)

So my question is, how can we know Beto isn't up to it if
a) he's never given a run of games and b) he plays his limited minutes with the same players who constantly let DCL down?

Genuine question here Goat. Everyone says DCL can't score because of others not providing him service (not his fault). They then go on to say Beto is crap and never looks like scoring ( same players on the pitch who don't support DCL)

a) he's never given a run of games and b) he plays his limited minutes with the same players who constantly let DCL down?

the same people couldn't get maupay out the door quick enough for being crap but when DCL is concerned, it's every body elses fault but his.

We dont know Beto isnt good enough.

DCL has had a few chances that any half decent Striker would have gobbled up, hes also had a lot of half chances that a Striker in form bangs in.

But the majority of games hes having 1 real chance and hes failing it, so it becomes more glaring.

A few weeks ago I thought he was poor, I even said in this thread, he had a game or 2 when he was mistiming his headers and his hold up play was poor, his finishing is beyond poor currently. But when we win games, he normally plays his part in our victory, whether its giving us an outlet or even blazing the ball out of play and wasting time(I JOKE, I JOKE).

I feel a bit sorry for Beto, hes getting scraps and he really needs a real run in the side to settle himself down and pick up the pace of the League, but, in my and the managers opinion, despite Dom being in poor form, his strengths help the team so Beto gonna have to wait for his chance and grab it when it comes.

We dont know Beto isnt good enough.

DCL has had a few chances that any half decent Striker would have gobbled up, hes also had a lot of half chances that a Striker in form bangs in.

But the majority of games hes having 1 real chance and hes failing it, so it becomes more glaring.

A few weeks ago I thought he was poor, I even said in this thread, he had a game or 2 when he was mistiming his headers and his hold up play was poor, his finishing is beyond poor currently. But when we win games, he normally plays his part in our victory, whether its giving us an outlet or even blazing the ball out of play and wasting time(I JOKE, I JOKE).

I feel a bit sorry for Beto, hes getting scraps and he really needs a real run in the side to settle himself down and pick up the pace of the League, but, in my and the managers opinion, despite Dom being in poor form, his strengths help the team so Beto gonna have to wait for his chance and grab it when it comes.
Thanks for your honest reply.

My concern is that Dyche isn't always the most logical person when it comes to picking his squad. Keane and Young both had runs in the team that should have ended much sooner than they did.
DCL hasn't scored now in 3 months, and if that isn't an indication that maybe we should sit him out and give Beto a couple of matches to try to prove himself, I don't know when that happens.

Well thats a massive difference to be honest you've literally halved the amount of goals you're talking about! In 2003 there were 19 players who scored 10 goals and in 2023 there were 23 so what you're saying just isn't true there are actual facts that show it and those 23 included players from 14 clubs so I don't know how much more scattered you want it to be. I think the only way what you're saying has some truth is theres maybe less of a reliance on an out and out goalscorer and wingers and midfielders are scoring more but other than that its just not the case. Dom is a bit of a throwback being an old school type target man maybe that counts against him these days I like him but we definitely need more goals from him.

Not really. The point I'm making is the top goals scorers who do get over 15+ goals play for the top 4 sides in the league now rather than it being spread out.

You brought up 2003 and here's the list...

1. Ruud van Nistelrooy 25 (Man Utd) 1st
2. Thierry Henry 24 (Arsenal) 2nd
3. James Beattie 23 (Southampton) 8th
4. Mark Viduka 20 (Leeds) 15th
5. Michael Owen 19 (Liverpool) 5th
6. Alan Shearer 17 (Newcastle) 3rd
7. Nicolas Anelka 14 (Man City) 9th
Robbie Keane 14 (Leeds/Spurs) 10th

3 players from the top 3 sides. The rest played for clubs from 5th and below. There was a spread of good quality strikers through the league.

In 2023 7 out of the top 10 strikers/goal scorers played for the top 5 sides.

1 Erling Haaland 36 (1st)
2. Harry Kane Tottenham Hotspur 30 (8th)
3. Ivan Toney Brentford FC 20 (9th)
4. Mo Salah Liverpool FC 19 (5th)
5. Callum Wilson Newcastle United 18 (4th)
6. Marcus Rashford Manchester Utd 17 (3rd)
7. Gabriel Martinelli Arsenal FC 15 (2nd)
Martin Ødegaard 15 (2nd)
Ollie Watkins Aston Villa 15 (7th)
10 Aleksandar Mitrović Fulham FC 14 (10th)
Saka Arsenal FC 14 (2nd)

Dom or anyone bagging 10 goals for us is something we shouldn't be sniffing at.

People wanting 15+ in this day and age for a club like us, won't happen any time soon as the majority play for the top sides.

That wasn't always the case back in the day

the same people couldn't get maupay out the door quick enough for being crap but when DCL is concerned, it's every body elses fault but his.
It's because they have a personal affinity for the lad. They like him for his goal against Palace, or his fashion, or whatever the reason so they give him much more slack than they would give someone else doing the same things.
Same happened with "young" Tom Davies. He was a good, cool, scouse, etc, lad so despite never really being good, a large portions of our fanbase loved him.
Every year you'd get posters on here saying "this is the year he kicks on" despite saying the same thing for the prior three seasons and it not happening.

Scored in the next game against Luton having scored in the previous game against Brentford. So 3 in 3.
So scored one after that and then went on a 3 month goal drought.

I'm not trying to call you out specifically on this, but I see lots of people post "just needs one and he'll start scorning loads" and I just don't know where it comes from.
Other than that brief period under Carlo he has never been that type.

Not really. The point I'm making is the top goals scorers who do get over 15+ goals play for the top 4 sides in the league now rather than it being spread out.

You brought up 2003 and here's the list...

1. Ruud van Nistelrooy 25 (Man Utd) 1st
2. Thierry Henry 24 (Arsenal) 2nd
3. James Beattie 23 (Southampton) 8th
4. Mark Viduka 20 (Leeds) 15th
5. Michael Owen 19 (Liverpool) 5th
6. Alan Shearer 17 (Newcastle) 3rd
7. Nicolas Anelka 14 (Man City) 9th
Robbie Keane 14 (Leeds/Spurs) 10th

3 players from the top 3 sides. The rest played for clubs from 5th and below. There was a spread of good quality strikers through the league.

In 2023 7 out of the top 10 strikers/goal scorers played for the top 5 sides.

1 Erling Haaland 36 (1st)
2. Harry Kane Tottenham Hotspur 30 (8th)
3. Ivan Toney Brentford FC 20 (9th)
4. Mo Salah Liverpool FC 19 (5th)
5. Callum Wilson Newcastle United 18 (4th)
6. Marcus Rashford Manchester Utd 17 (3rd)
7. Gabriel Martinelli Arsenal FC 15 (2nd)
Martin Ødegaard 15 (2nd)
Ollie Watkins Aston Villa 15 (7th)
10 Aleksandar Mitrović Fulham FC 14 (10th)
Saka Arsenal FC 14 (2nd)

Dom or anyone bagging 10 goals for us is something we shouldn't be sniffing at.

People wanting 15+ in this day and age for a club like us, won't happen any time soon as the majority play for the top sides.

That wasn't always the case back in the day
4 out of 8 compared to 7 out of 10 doesn't seem like that big a difference to me anyway and obviously you've stopped at 8 deliberately because the next 2 would count aswell and make it 6 compared to 7 out of 10 which is a bit embarrassing. The principle hasn't really changed and all the stats say that but if you want to be right so much don't let things like stats stop you mate. 14 teams had someone scoring 10 last year and 16 teams did the season before its not that big a deal.

It's because they have a personal affinity for the lad. They like him for his goal against Palace, or his fashion, or whatever the reason so they give him much more slack than they would give someone else doing the same things.
Same happened with "young" Tom Davies. He was a good, cool, scouse, etc, lad so despite never really being good, a large portions of our fanbase loved him.
Every year you'd get posters on here saying "this is the year he kicks on" despite saying the same thing for the prior three seasons and it not happening.
I do have a personal affinity for the lad, I watched him grow from a raw young Striker into somebody that scored 20 goals in a season for our team.

As we know he then suffered 2 seasons of mostly injuries and currently hes in very poor goal scoring form.

So yes I cut him more slack, cos I really want to see him get back into form, a big tall number 9 who leads the line, they have always been my jam.

But certain sections of the fanbase cut him no slack and claim he offers nothing to the team, which is even worse, at least my way Everton gains.

Being wrong on the internet doesnt and will never bother me, but I stand by my support of DCL and I will keep providing it until such time I dont feel its deserved.

I answered your question cos it was polite, but I am honestly not wasting my time trying to make others change their opinion of the lad, its up to others how they view him.

So scored one after that and then went on a 3 month goal drought.

I'm not trying to call you out specifically on this, but I see lots of people post "just needs one and he'll start scorning loads" and I just don't know where it comes from.
Other than that brief period under Carlo he has never been that type.
The goal I showed the clip for came a few days after the Brentford goal. So my supposition was that he was in a better frame of mind than the very similar chance he missed a few months later against the same team.

I get your point. There are no guarantees. And there is always the risk of injury curtailing any momentum he does build. All that being said, even if the 'floodgates' don't open, I still expect an improved run of goals once he bags one.

The goal I showed the clip for came a few days after the Brentford goal. So my supposition was that he was in a better frame of mind than the very similar chance he missed a few months later against the same team.

I get your point. There are no guarantees. And there is always the risk of injury curtailing any momentum he does build. All that being said, even if the 'floodgates' don't open, I still expect an improved run of goals once he bags one.
I think people overlook the mental side of these things.

Its been 3 months as people keep pointing out, I can only imagine how heavy that rests on his head when hes racing through against Villa for example.

Not making "more" excuses for the lad, again, he has had some pretty good chances that he really should have scored.

But there defo is something in "he needs a goal".

I do have a personal affinity for the lad, I watched him grow from a raw young Striker into somebody that scored 20 goals in a season for our team.

As we know he then suffered 2 seasons of mostly injuries and currently hes in very poor goal scoring form.

So yes I cut him more slack, cos I really want to see him get back into form, a big tall number 9 who leads the line, they have always been my jam.

But certain sections of the fanbase cut him no slack and claim he offers nothing to the team, which is even worse, at least my way Everton gains.

Being wrong on the internet doesnt and will never bother me, but I stand by my support of DCL and I will keep providing it until such time I dont feel its deserved.

I answered your question cos it was polite, but I am honestly not wasting my time trying to make others change their opinion of the lad, its up to others how they view him.

That's all fair.
People have personal favorites, and there's nothing wrong with that (I loved Richarlison).
I just hope people are able to recognize their personal biases and account for them when they are making judgements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back