Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dom suits the way Dyche plays, he's got those tools but Dyche's way doesn't suit Dom. He has proven that he can be a very effective poacher but instead spends his time craning his neck trying for flick on's to players that aren't making the supporting runs.

For me, get it wide, get it into the 6 yard box and he will slot. Play too HIS strengths and stop leaving him isolated 30 yards from goal, especially if others aren't chipping in. Nothing wrong with being a poacher but you have to give them service and not have them doing donkey work on the half way line.

Just my opinion, he really does need a confidence boost though, it'll be playing on his mind no doubt.

He splits opinion but I like the lad, on his day he's a real handful but he's woefully out of form currently. I don't know whether it is better to try and play his way through this bad patch or bench him for a few.

Dom suits the way Dyche plays, he's got those tools but Dyche's way doesn't suit Dom. He has proven that he can be a very effective poacher but instead spends his time craning his neck trying for flick on's to players that aren't making the supporting runs.

For me, get it wide, get it into the 6 yard box and he will slot. Play too HIS strengths and stop leaving him isolated 30 yards from goal, especially if others aren't chipping in. Nothing wrong with being a poacher but you have to give them service and not have them doing donkey work on the half way line.

Just my opinion, he really does need a confidence boost though, it'll be playing on his mind no doubt.

He splits opinion but I like the lad, on his day he's a real handful but he's woefully out of form currently. I don't know whether it is better to try and play his way through this bad patch or bench him for a few.

I think you make some decent points but i would never describe calvert lewin as an effective poacher. Apart from aug to december in 2020 he's never shown anything to suggest he's a poacher of goals. Dont even think he has the natural instinct of a poacher. I dont know why we're trying to steer him away from being an orthodox number 9. He's big enough and physically strong enough to dominate a line. And he has done well at times leading the line. I thought he was brilliant away to brighton last season. He dragged their defence all over the place. Really agree with the crosses though. He's as good as anyone attacking a cross with his head. No coincidence his only real purple patch scoring goals came when Digne was putting in loads of good deliveries. The perfect calvert lewin for me was the goal at spurs in 2020. Dignes cross and calvert lewin was like gtf out of my way. This is mine. Top corner. Excellent.
He's out of form. He needs to be more aggressive for me. Bully defenders more. And net a few more. Ive never expected much from him on the goal scoring dept. I dont think he's a natural scorer at all. But we need a bit more than 1 goal in 3 months.
Hooefully he'll get one tonight.

I wouldn't say he's proven himself as a poacher he had one very good period 3 years ago but thats it really. He is very good at doing what Dyche wants him to do he's shown that before and even earlier on this season but he has been really poor recently. I think they are trying to play to his strengths too but with both him and the wingers out of form it isn't working that way.

Hard to disagree with that. he had a great first half of a season. Thats hardly proven success given he's nearly 27.
Such a mad subject this. Its like he's not allowed to be a middle of the road average forward. He's either cack or he's class.
I think he is middle of the road who just should be netting a few more than he is. A forward who isnt scoring at all will always be questioned. In any team in any league.
Agree. The crux of this argument seems to be whether you think his scoring spell under Carlo is his norm, or his now 15 match goal drought is his norm. The reality is that he's probably a mid to low end premier league striker. His norm is probably sub 10 goals a season. He isn't great, but he isn't awful.
We probably all hope our CF can do better, but due to our circumstances DCL will be our main man for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back