2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Wood would do DCLs job short term, at 32 though wouldn’t want to be spending over £8m on him.
2022 - NUFC paid £25m
2023 - Notts Forrest paid £15m

IMG_8420.webp

….I really rate DCL the footballer and I really like DCL the man but we’re running a football club.

Years ago, I think I was first to suggest his thigh muscle problems would likely be problematic for his whole career and if ever his stock is high then a sale should be considered. There’s been times in the last 18months when we’d struggle to get a bean for him, but Dyche has managed him through games and his stock has risen.

With 12 months left on his contract, with no indication of him renewing and reports that he’s keen to leave then selling him is a no brainier.

The big problem is bringing in an effective replacement. Maupay, Beto and Chermiti have cost circa £50m and despite some suggesting the latter is the answer to our problems I’m not seeing any of those 3 being good enough.

Like it or lump it DCL gets us up the pitch, last season we didn't look like scoring in a lot of games, so it is crucial we sort this out with new players, because players like Harrison & Young don't fill me with confidence.
McNeil is very hot and cold mostly cold as well

He'll be great at Newcastle, lots of crosses for him. Will miss him here. No way to afford a player as good at holding up the ball. Still will be a healthy profit, on the £1.5 million. Plus he only has a year left. Can't afford to let players go for nothing.

Two questions:

1. He'll need to be replaced. The other two, through inexperience or ability, have not shown enough to handle those minutes under Dyche. How much will his replacement cost.

2. How important is he to our league position? If we are talking about hierarchy in the table, not much. If we are talking about relegation, he's a 150 million player.

If his market value is below any of the above, there's a strong case to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back