2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
🤣🤣
It's "harsh" to judge a striker whose primary job is to score goals on going over 50% of a season without a goal. I can only assume it's also "harsh" to say 15 goals in 3 years is not exactly a great return.
50 odd goals in 200 odd games is probably a more fair representation of the lad tbf.

I mean that's probably going a bit far isn't it, I just highlighted another legitimate goal he scored. I see why you go by the name of Shambles.
Would that be 'legitimate' in the eyes of blues, or the eyes of Spurs fans, or the eyes of the officials (don't worry, that's rhetorical, we all know every decision that doesn't go our way is a conspiracy). 8 goals last season instead of 7. Wow! I take it all back. What a player.

54 goals in 214 games is probably a more fair representation of the lad tbf.
1 in 4 roughly, is that anything special? Is it worth keeping? Beto scored 22 in 65 at Udinese, Maupay got 26 in 102 for Brighton, so numbers dont exactly tell the full story.

If you drill down, 29 of those 54 goals came in the 2019-20 and 2020-21 season which covered a period of us having one of the best managers in the history of the game, as well as covid times when stadiums were empty and he wasn't under the pressure of 40,000 fans every week. He's 27, and has never gotten into double figures before or since. I think that says something.

1 in 4 roughly, is that anything special? Is it worth keeping? Beto scored 22 in 65 at Udinese, Maupay got 26 in 102 for Brighton, so numbers dont exactly tell the full story.

If you drill down, 29 of those 54 goals came in the 2019-20 and 2020-21 season which covered a period of us having one of the best managers in the history of the game, as well as covid times when stadiums were empty and he wasn't under the pressure of 40,000 fans every week. He's 27, and has never gotten into double figures before or since. I think that says something.

That COVID excuse is load of bollocks. He got 15 the season prior.

Is a fair point. Give him the benefit of doubt at just looking at overall stats for career and not breaking it down. It still hardly fits this narrative thats he is somewhat essential to this club from collapsing into oblivion if he isn't here.

But it’s 1 in every 4 games. You can’t condense the minutes played and call them games.
But you want to use a 6 minute appearance at LW when he was 19 against him? Or when he played as a RWB for a game to judge him on goals scored as a striker?

You twist stats to fit your agenda and ill do the same to fit mine thanks.

A goal every 2.65 games playing time is probably even fairer.

Decent returns being better than 1 in 3. A lower half team having a striker with that rate is good.
7 goals in 33 games last season.
2 in 17 the season before.
5 in 17 the season before that.
You have to go back FOUR years before he even got to double figures.

It's not like he's Beto, getting tossed ten minute run outs here and there then back on the bench the next week. When he does play, he plays almost all the full game. Stats can be cherrypicked to make any point, but the eye test alone tells you he is not a natural goal-scoring, utterly lethal striker (ie. Drogba or Van Nistelrooy or Aguero), yet at 27 years old with 8 seasons in the Prem under his belt, every excuse under the sun gets made for a guy who doesn't score goals.

7 goals in 33 games last season.
2 in 17 the season before.
5 in 17 the season before that.
You have to go back FOUR years before he even got to double figures.

It's not like he's Beto, getting tossed ten minute run outs here and there then back on the bench the next week. When he does play, he plays almost all the full game. Stats can be cherrypicked to make any point, but the eye test alone tells you he is not a natural goal-scoring, utterly lethal striker (ie. Drogba or Van Nistelrooy or Aguero), yet at 27 years old with 8 seasons in the Prem under his belt, every excuse under the sun gets made for a guy who doesn't score goals.
literally just been told in this thread you can’t use minutes mate. Every minute appearance counts as a separate game even if he only plays one minute.

You are using all his games, even the early years when he didn’t play full games and was playing 10 mins at LW or as a RWB to suit your stats.

Can’t have it both ways.

That depends on your opinion, but it looks at the whole of the lad's time at Everton. Picking on a 3 year spell, during which he was injured for a very large part is a bit disingenuous, imo. We're a lower half team for now. I think he'll still do a good job for us if he signs, if he gets sold, we move on. Also fair to say I don't recall people doubting him before his injuries. Time will tell if he is fully over them and if he returns to 1 in 4 form with us or someone else..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back