2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
literally just been told in this thread you can’t use minutes mate. Every minute appearance counts as a separate game even if he only plays one minute.

You are using all his games, even the early years when he didn’t play full games and was playing 10 mins at LW or as a RWB to suit your stats.

Can’t have it both ways.
What are you talking about? Those are just the numbers of his last three years which, in IMO, paint a fair picture of recent times. If we want to progress as a football club we surely cannot hang our hat on a lad who -if you want to use the full picture- has scored 54 goals in 8 years (= 6.75 per year) or 54 in 214 games (1 in 4 roughly). The clubs occupying the places we want to be dont cling on to players with those stats and make them first chioce, they aspire to better. Yet here we are, apparently offering £130k a week to guy who hasn't really cut the mustard for 4 years. Seems bonkers to me.

What are you talking about? Those are just the numbers of his last three years which, in IMO, paint a fair picture of recent times. If we want to progress as a football club we surely cannot hang our hat on a lad who -if you want to use the full picture- has scored 54 goals in 8 years (= 6.75 per year) or 54 in 214 games (1 in 4 roughly). The clubs occupying the places we want to be dont cling on to players with those stats and make them first chioce, they aspire to better. Yet here we are, apparently offering £130k a week to guy who hasn't really cut the mustard for 4 years. Seems bonkers to me.

Can you direct us to where £130k comes from? For evidence that’s all.

That depends on your opinion, but it looks at the whole of the lad's time at Everton. Picking on a 3 year spell, during which he was injured for a very large part is a bit disingenuous, imo. We're a lower half team for now. I think he'll still do a good job for us if he signs, if he gets sold, we move on. Also fair to say I don't recall people doubting him before his injuries. Time will tell if he is fully over them and if he returns to 1 in 4 form with us or someone else..
I don't discount his injuries, but by the same token, he played 17 games in each of the two seasons previous to last. He was obviously fit enough to be on the pitch, but it just furthers my point about excuses for a guy who is not prolific: "he wasn't 100% peak fit, therefore free pass". As if other teams dont have strikers with issues but if they ever get linked to us, whats the first thing we judge them on.

I was talking about his career, as were others. As my initial response was to someone using his career, which you then responded to me about. I never mentioned the last 3 years, only you did that.

I’ve then been told that I can’t use his minutes played by one poster, with you then using how Beto gets 10 mins here and there as an argument.

And now in this post are now then using his career appearances again.

So the question is really, what are you on about?

Can you direct us to where £130k comes from? For evidence that’s all.
I'm sure if you went back through the last few pages of this thread or the summer transfer thread you'd find multiple other people have cited that's the contract offer on the table for him. I don't know their sources, I'm merely using it as a current example that hardly seems wildly unrealistic, but I think you know that and can only assume you're trying to be pedantic to detract from the overall point, which is I would like us to aspire beyond a non-prolific No9 leading the line.

I was talking about his career, as were others. As my initial response was to someone using his career, which you then responded to me about. I never mentioned the last 3 years, only you did that.

I’ve then been told that I can’t use his minutes played by one poster, with you then using how Beto gets 10 mins here and there as an argument.

And now in this post are now then using his career appearances again.

So the question is really, what are you on about?
Either we're going round in circles or we're at crossed wires, and it's too late at night for both. Bottom line for me is DCL is not an elite, goal scoring No9, however you want to pick the stats. None of the teams who occupy the places in the league we want to get to would have this guy starting every week, but we do. None of them would stick with a striker who has 15 goals in 3 years, we do. None of them would keep him in the side every week without 1 goal in 50% of the season, we do. They'd all be bringing in new strikers, we offer a new contract. Makes no sense to me is all.

Either we're going round in circles or we're at crossed wires, and it's too late at night for both. Bottom line for me is DCL is not an elite, goal scoring No9, however you want to pick the stats. None of the teams who occupy the places in the league we want to get to would have this guy starting every week, but we do. None of them would stick with a striker who has 15 goals in 3 years, we do. None of them would keep him in the side every week without 1 goal in 50% of the season, we do. They'd all be bringing in new strikers, we offer a new contract. Makes no sense to me is all.
But we are in the position we are in. We aren’t in their positions. We aren’t going to attract an “elite” goalscorer because we are bottom half relegation scrappers for several years.

It’s all well and good saying we want to be top 6 so we need a top 6 level striker. but we aren’t top 6, so why would that level of striker want to come to us? Why do you think we have had strikers like tosun, maupay, Sandro, rondon, king and now Beto come to us? Rather than signing elite level strikers?

There also bears the question, that lots of the strikers named above had semi ok scoring records elsewhere but for us have been diabolical. So maybe the issue goes beyond DCL (who with one of the best managers in the world scored over 20 in a season) and lies with management/coaching of forwards within the club.

But we are in the position we are in. We aren’t in their positions. We aren’t going to attract an “elite” goalscorer because we are bottom half relegation scrappers for several years.

It’s all well and good saying we want to be top 6 so we need a top 6 level striker. but we aren’t top 6, so why would that level of striker want to come to us? Why do you think we have had strikers like tosun, maupay, Sandro, rondon, king and now Beto come to us? Rather than signing elite level strikers?
We all know our recruitment has been absolutely shocking over the years, especially in the striker department, but that's a separate issue from whether or not we should be clinging on to DCL. We've not had a real... "sit-up-and-take-notice" type No9 since Lukaku, yet Brentford can find an Ivan Toney, Villa can find an Ollie Watkins etc. Recruitment of good players has absolutely been major red flag at this club over the years, but we wont progress by using our limited resources to retain players who don't move the needle all that much.

DCL got worse stick in his first 18 months than he has since. As is always the case with our fans they tend to abuse English players but worship foreign players who actually contribute much less.
You might be right with certain players, but to say Dom got worse abuse in his first 18 months then say the last 18 months is just a joke..

yes the villa thing was bad, but I'm sure if you ask the people there about it now theyd say they regret it, didnt someone who attended the game say on here he was part of it and said they all thought he was just going off injured like he always does, without knowing the extent of the injury? built up frustration with the lad that game i think.

anyway that was a long time ago now, we all need to look to the future, and the main point should be IF he is unwilling to sign a new contract we should take whatever we can for him, under no circumstances should we allow him to run his contract down so he can pick up a massive signing on fee elsewhere
That wasn't the point of this discussion tho was it..

I imagine there's countless strikers in world football who could be 'useful' - pretty sure most would bag more than 7 a year and wouldn't go 20 games without a goal.
His all round game ( Especially when Fully fit ) Is brilliant, his goal count in recent times isn't going to blow peoples minds off.
But the role he is being played, he isn't going to hit 20, there is no chance. But he has been playing that role brilliantly.

His lack of goal count is such an issue to you, go and have a word with Dyche !!!

( Also Remember how long he's been out, and since coming back he was getting 60mins a game at best, until last season.

His all round game ( Especially when Fully fit ) Is brilliant, his goal count in recent times isn't going to blow peoples minds off.
But the role he is being played, he isn't going to hit 20, there is no chance. But he has been playing that role brilliantly.

His lack of goal count is such an issue to you, go and have a word with Dyche !!!

( Also Remember how long he's been out, and since coming back he was getting 60mins a game at best, until last season.
I guess it depends what you think is the most important thing in a line-leading No9: scoring goals or all the other stuff. He played 33 games last season, almost all appearances were at least ~80 minutes, and he got 7 goals (2 of which were penalties).

For me, 'brilliant' is reserved for the top players (ie. Haaland, Kane, Mbappe) but semantics aside, I just dont see enough level of value to warrant wanting to keep him as our first choice striker. Sure, everything has context, so when his competition is Dobbin or Chermiti or Maupay he's the stand out choice. And yes, Dyche plays his favourites, so DCL with his years of Prem experience will always start over some Portugese bloke from Udinese who has never kicked a ball in the "toughest league in the world", but Carlo aside DCL has never really been a prolific and consistent goal scorer for any manager.

It's easy to shift context into excuse making. "If he's not 100% fit, its unfair to judge him on goals. If he doesn't have top players putting it on a plate, its unfair to judge him on chances converted" etc. I think we all know if he was bagging 20 goals a season, no one would care about his 'all round game', but he's not so everything else becomes secondary to what he is primarily in the team to do.

We all know our recruitment has been absolutely shocking over the years, especially in the striker department, but that's a separate issue from whether or not we should be clinging on to DCL. We've not had a real... "sit-up-and-take-notice" type No9 since Lukaku, yet Brentford can find an Ivan Toney, Villa can find an Ollie Watkins etc. Recruitment of good players has absolutely been major red flag at this club over the years, but we wont progress by using our limited resources to retain players who don't move the needle all that much.
I’m not getting into the Lukaku debate again. He is the only elite striker we have had in the PL era, no one else comes close, and we arguably should never have had him with where we were at at the time.

We are unlikely to find a striker like him again as he is the exception, not the norm for us. (Yeah we can aspire to have someone like him, but until we are actually getting top 6, then it shouldn’t be expected and if you are expecting it, then you are in for a lot of disappointment)

We will be worse off without DCL, especially if Dyche is in charge. We look much better as a team with him than whenever we play anyone else up top. And having just spent £26m on Beto, we are unlikely to be looking to spend big again on a striker.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back