2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is replaceable club should be prepared for this would have liked him to stay but can go would be after adebayo at luton could be available for half the price of dcl

Good player, big player for us and we we will miss him - he's also exceptionally good value, he's not elite and its an area we can look to improve and move on from, its difficult but not impossible.

I presume we've been planning for this...…..surely!
He'll do a job for quite a few teams. Including title challengers Arsenal if they wanted a (relatively) low cost option.

If he goes you'd imagine Big Wout would be incredibly short odds.
Incredibly poor from him I’m afraid if that’s true. If he wants to leave then I’d happily see him go, frankly it would just be about getting a price for him as he’s scored about 5 goals in 5 years at this rate.
It's the opposite. He's come in after the summer and in the first couple of days he's told the club he's not going to extend.

It's fair to all parties, club gave him time to think it over, he has and he's told them face to face rather than a snide text and stay away.

I'd also bet if the club don't receive an offer they're happy with he'd be more than willing to play to the best of his ability.

He's a good sort.

Me too. Spread your wings, prince.
No issue with him testing the market at all, you get one career. Not sure what the market for him in England really looks like, the biggest clubs are more and more about snapping up young talent, he’d probably provide something Chelsea really need for example but they’d rather splash on a Brazilian foetus. Look at Toney, also for sale and doesn’t seem to have an avalanche of interest. These guys should be at their peak but that’s already too old for some clubs.

Rather than a sideways move or a backup role at a bigger club a move abroad might be his best bet. Hopefully whatever happens happens quickly.

I too would like him to stay. But for the sort of fees quoted, then given his goals output, perhaps we could replace him. When hes fit he is the fulcrum of the team. That's my concern, and that it's very easy to spend what would be a relatively big wedge by our standards on another forward, and not get the goal return. Its 14 in 3 seasons though. But still I think he offers more than his goal tally suggests.

Wonder how much money this saved us:

didn't save us a penny because we finished 4 points above burnley and if you take away the 3 points from that palace game we still finish 1 point above burnley. The other argument is also invalid because burnley lost on the last day of the season anyway and our mindset would have been different against arsenal in any event, so you can't have it both ways. we beat palace on 19th may 2022 the same time villa played burnley so had we lost that palace game still would have gone into the final day of the season above burnley. burnley knew that they would have to win anyway with the leeds result and still bottled it.

also didn't michael keane score a crucial equaliser in that game

ironically the game that technically saved us from relegation that season was the stinky 0-0 away point to watford reserves - a frank lampard classic

without that point taking out the palace win for argument's sake then we would have finished below burnley on goal difference

To be honest mate I think this is one of better times to be at the club... Brand new stadium, potential new owners.
Same i get it if arsenal united chelsea ect in for him maybe even one of the italian clubs. But if went to a west ham newcastle i would still feel here is the same as them clubs. I feel 50/50 on him do think a good player but is replaceable has a long way back to get to the player he was and then has only really had one good season.

Why? Did you think him and Onana were going to stay or something?

Because we not replacing them with better options. If you think so then fair play. I can’t see it. The money will on the whole disappear. DCL is not a great striker but the drop off to Beto is huge. Our record of singing strikers is turbo gash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.