2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this not the dcl thread?

And he upset me in this life by being crap most of the time
Injured like... The Waiter and Lampard threw him under the bus by rushing him back way too soon. Reckon Dyche as put back together an asset either bank balance or on the pitch. Myself not fussed, think I just edge in him signing another, as it's going incredibly difficult to find similar replacement. Even with his sparse appearances

When you watch that Watkins goal last night, that is something that is all too often missing from DCL's game. Quickly make a bit of space for yourself and get your shot away with no hesitation. Thinking about it, I can only think of one goal like that he's scored, West Ham away last season.

Whether it's for us or for someone else, that's the part of his game that needs improving the most.

I agree mate. I also reckon DCL has been wasted at Everton as a lone striker. Looks more at home in a Fellaini type of position 10 yards outside the box...problem was when we did see him there we had no runners surging forward....a lone 9 with a team set up to feed him is a disaster as now proved.
Ten Hag will use him as a big 10 I reckon with the likes of Garnanco amd Hojlund, Rashford feeding off him...they have pace in that team he can hold up and feed.

He can occupy defenders when he’s in the mood, fit and playing well but I don’t think he has the pass execution , timing of pass or vision to be a creative player. The rare occasions that he does have good options in front of him he usually decides an ambitious shot or picks the wrong option.

This could be because he is starved of opportunity in games but I think he just lacks the intelligence , if he moves , time will tell. But 25m or more and I would be selling tbh

When you watch that Watkins goal last night, that is something that is all too often missing from DCL's game. Quickly make a bit of space for yourself and get your shot away with no hesitation. Thinking about it, I can only think of one goal like that he's scored, West Ham away last season.

Whether it's for us or for someone else, that's the part of his game that needs improving the most.

He can’t hit shots like Watkins did though, his shooting is a massive weak point and he doesn’t have it in his locker .

He can’t hit shots like Watkins did though, his shooting is a massive weak point and he doesn’t have it in his locker .

They'd be a decent partnership, different types. Not too many play two up top though.

Watkins shot was 50% swinger, caught it clean and went it flew in the only gap available. He could get that chance again 100 times and he wont catch it as perfect.
Yeah, I don't think Watkins is really a natural finisher.

It's his movement and general dynamism that set him apart from the likes of DCL. If he was a lethal finisher, he'd be playing for a top side.

Yeah, I don't think Watkins is really a natural finisher.

It's his movement and general dynamism that set him apart from the likes of DCL. If he was a lethal finisher, he'd be playing for a top side.
Is a champions league team not a top side? Hes scored 17.5 goals a season in his 4 seasons with Villa. It seems hes been one of the most lethal considering how consistently he has been top 10, one only 3 others have managed.

I remember when people on here scoffed at Ollie Watkins

….i may be a bit guilty of that. I thought his goal last night was better than Bellinghams overhead kick, it had everything a top goalscorer does; picture in his mind of where he is , where the goal is and where the keeper is then strike it sweetly across the face of goal, hitting the side netting inside the far post. I absolutely loved that goal.

Comparing him to DCL, though, is wrong as they are different types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back