2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

If he has genuinely decided to not take up our offer because 1) he wants to take on a fresh challenge elsewhere or 2) wants more money, I’d be tempted to withdraw our offer. He will either then (potentially) lower his wage demands in looking to move which will hopefully facilitate a move or 2) come back to the table to renegotiate - it’s a gamble either way. It feels like it is an incredibly risky move for DCL but I’d want him to play well this season for us to re-earn a new contract with us (and if his injury reoccurs or he is poor then see you later) - I just don’t see the point of him having the insurance policy if all else fails of an open ended contract offer on the table from us
Anyway back on topic
I agree. We also have to plan without him if he doesn't want to be here. Possible but more likely a system change so we can move on from him

“I’m nasty” coming from the guy who thinks it’s a woman’s job to not have her own career aspirations but just raise children :lol: priceless. Thankfully your generation will die out soon enough.

That is a terrible thing to say, hope you sobre up and retract it. Different generations have different evaluations and different needs to get on with their life and their children's life. You are better than that.

Anyway back on topic
I agree. We also have to plan without him if he doesn't want to be here. Possible but more likely a system change so we can move on from him
Yeah I think he needs to have some ‘skin in the game’ no open ended offers from us. If I were the club my position would be ok we shall withdraw the offer as we want you to focus on your football and let’s revisit in January. If we get a decent offer in, in the meantime we can always consider it.

Thankfully your generation will die out soon enough.

Wow... was honoured to be in the company of my 95 year old Grandad today. The proudest blue you'd ever meet. But yeah, he's of that generation that you harbour these wishes for.

To keep in on topic, he thought Calvert-Lewin was at his best under Carlo and every manager after Carlo should encourage DCL to stay in the box.

7 goals in 33 games last season.
2 in 17 the season before.
5 in 17 the season before that.
You have to go back FOUR years before he even got to double figures.

It's not like he's Beto, getting tossed ten minute run outs here and there then back on the bench the next week. When he does play, he plays almost all the full game. Stats can be cherrypicked to make any point, but the eye test alone tells you he is not a natural goal-scoring, utterly lethal striker (ie. Drogba or Van Nistelrooy or Aguero), yet at 27 years old with 8 seasons in the Prem under his belt, every excuse under the sun gets made for a guy who doesn't score goals.
?

DCL £1.5m (2016)

Drogba £24m (2004)
Van the man £18.5m (2000)
Aguero £35m (2011)

Perfectly fair comparison.

@Nymzee i have a question.

If you meet a family on holiday and after a few drinks they share that the man earns £100k++ a week while the woman earns substantially less...

...with a new addition to their young family.

Who would you expect to be the one raising the child full-time?

Logically it would be the woman right? And if the reverse was true it would logically be the man.

Simply because the main breadwinners high income also has a shelf-life of what, 5-7 years? Then the roles can reverse if they wish.

Of course they will employ someone to take care of the child full-time, perhaps even a family member.

But to suggest otherwise is somewhat illogical.

As for DCL, if Onana wanted to move on and weve sold him then logically a player refusing a contract (see Godfrey) extension would be moved on as well.

The £35mil deal with Newcastle isnt a barometer due to it being a swap for Minteh. I'd be happy with £25mil and hopefully we get it.

Like Onana he's been linked with Newcastle, Arsenal, United and Chelsea...lets hope one of them coughs up a big fee or we can benefit from a swap deal.

It’s called a contract, he hasn’t done anything wrong. Injuries are part of the game and up until then he was a fairly regular starter ….he hasn’t bled us dry.
Exactly, the injury he got v Villa Away were he nearly got decapitated in a 50/50 challenge whilst being a brave striker, ends up getting booed by his own fans.

He was also brought back too early on other occasions as the board had let the club down by not signing another capable striker at the time.

Only Dyche has waited until he is ready and once he goes and keeps scoring for his new team this thread will constantly be put back up, with fickle fans saying we should have kept him

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.