2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the crux of the matter though, we look far better with him in the team because the team is set around having him in the team.

With another starting cf it may be a lot different

I looked at our results where he starts and V games he plays less than 38 minutes last season, and the results were stark really.

I think we were on course for like high 60 points where he starts (over a 38 game season). Without him we were at about 38 points. That's without him scoring goals he should.

It might be coincidence, but it feels quite instructive.

We get a contract sorted with him before season starts or sell him. Really is that simple for me.

Pure economics
What happens if no club is prepared to go anywhere near our valuation? We can't just sell him for peanuts and be left with Chermiti, Beto and no money.

DCL playing the season and leaving next summer for free is better than selling him now for £10m, imo.

DCL is not as good as some people portray him but also not as bad as others say.
However I think the fact that he is still at Everton shows his value to other clubs.
After the time Dyche took to get him back to fitness, to now hold out on signing a new contract seems a bit shallow.
He’s at his level, so unless a London club like Fulham or similar come in for him he’ll end up winding his contract down.

What happens if no club is prepared to go anywhere near our valuation? We can't just sell him for peanuts and be left with Chermiti, Beto and no money.

DCL playing the season and leaving next summer for free is better than selling him now for £10m, imo.
I think we should reduce our asking price. I think anything around 15m or more is too much to turn down when the alternative is a free transfer.

Ideally he signs, but it looks unlikely. So if we have to sell I'd hope to get 20m plus. The idea we will get over 30m is just not realistic.

DCL is not as good as some people portray him but also not as bad as others say.
However I think the fact that he is still at Everton shows his value to other clubs.
After the time Dyche took to get him back to fitness, to now hold out on signing a new contract seems a bit shallow.
He’s at his level, so unless a London club like Fulham or similar come in for him he’ll end up winding his contract down.
He’s not a world beater but he’s certainly not useless. He’d be a good squad option in a better team if he stayed fit.

Clearly nobody wants to pay him the guts of £200k a week though!

West Ham are desperate for a striker. They only seem to have Antonio and Ings as options and both of their legs are pretty much gone. I’m surprised they haven’t come in for DCL

I think we should reduce our asking price. I think anything around 15m or more is too much to turn down when the alternative is a free transfer.

Ideally he signs, but it looks unlikely. So if we have to sell I'd hope to get 20m plus. The idea we will get over 30m is just not realistic.
Don’t see the point in selling for £15m. Why take a risk like that. No way we get relegated with him playing - easily could without him.

Lot of money to turn down for a team in financial trouble who just had two points deductions

If he doesn't resign then we need to sell it's as simple as that, can't have any saleable asset leaving for free.

I'd also wonder hugely how a player with his injury record would push himself second half of the season knowing he's out the club a few months later and breaking down would wreck a move ...

How we handle him tells us a lot about how Chermiti is viewed as well, lad seems to me to have bulked up during the summer and comes across with a great attitude. Question is if he's ready yet or not.

I looked at our results where he starts and V games he plays less than 38 minutes last season, and the results were stark really.

I think we were on course for like high 60 points where he starts (over a 38 game season). Without him we were at about 38 points. That's without him scoring goals he should.

It might be coincidence, but it feels quite instructive.
He is an important player for us so that isn't surprising if we're replacing him with Maupay or Danjuma like we were in the games early last season then we'll be in big trouble but if we're replacing him properly its a different argument altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back