2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope he signs a new deal and plays the majority of the coming season injury free.

I think he’s a very capable forward who’s always come across well.

Some key goals and performances over the last few years without which the team could have easily floundered to greater depths.

I think people often view things as binary, i dont think hes particularly bad or particularly good, but i do think you need to look at the value of the investment for what he brings. In Doms case i think it needs reflection, we tend to think of him as that young player that came through that developed at the club, we tend to think we are heavily reliant on him because we messed up squad planning in the forward positions - certainly in the last three years if not longer.

However you also have to analyse things objectively taking the emotion out of it, full tilt he can get about 10 goals and hes had a brilliant season, most of his career he is sub that. Hes not a kid anymore, hes not kicking on from here this is his peak - its as good as hes going to be, hes looking for a top PL wage and so far hes not signing a 130k week deal here at the moment. That's a very good deal for what he brings to table in a 5-10 goal a season striker and id actually question the value of that for what we get - before you factor injuries.

If he signs then that's it - hes our alpha striker for the next cycle and we know we have a 5 -10 goal striker - overall i do wonder, is there an opportunity to do better on the investment - sure its more expensive because of a fee and part of me thinks we are taking the lazy cost effective option here - but there is a question of could we add more value to the team then a 5-10 goal a year forward for 130k a week for the investment- that's a senior wage that can be offered which attracts a player. Players are out there there were 40+ PL players who scored more then him last season.

Last edited:

Sorry mate, but if you flounce around as a football player dressing weird then you really should expect to get some stick for it , and can't use it as a 'fans have been so mean to me' excuse.

If you think different then yeah fair enough, but if your mate dressed way then you'd take the piss, why should he be any different

I think it's fair enough for people to take the mick re dress sense. But I do think it spills over a bit and clouds people's judgement a lot about him more broadly. That's where the line is for me.

This is a player that many have already stated is no longer a kid with potential but this is him as a finished article.

What we need to ask ourselves is do we think he is worth the money he is asking, is our striker for the next however many years and can we find better?

For me we have to cash in, this will be the last time we are getting money for him and if it’s ten goals a year his asking salary does not justify that, he has only had one good year and failed to kick on.

We need to stop being too loyal, be a bit more ruthless and use Beto, Chermiti and dares to say it Maupay until we find that elusive striker, I am sure there are plenty of European strikers that would come to the prem for half DCLs reputed salary and if we get him on a loan to buy its win win win for us.

Clubs are not queing up to buy him so we are obviously asking too much, re-jig the asking price and get rid , the offer should be taken off table, he has had long enough to mess us about, take ownership of the situation and slot him into the under 23s if he does not want to stay, he has earned enough out of the club and we need to earn from him.

How long does a player need to prove himself?? He's had more than enough time, regardless of injuries. We should be able to attract a more productive centre forward. It's no excuse saying that he contributes to the team in other ways. We need a goalscorer.

How long does a player need to prove himself?? He's had more than enough time, regardless of injuries. We should be able to attract a more productive centre forward. It's no excuse saying that he contributes to the team in other ways. We need a goalscorer.
Ahh that's the issue though. Most modern forwards are not target men it's part of the reason we struggle to find a replacement for him. The modern day striker doesn't want the ball played into them at chest/head height they want it infront of them too run onto, they are used to wide men who cut inside and feed the ball through to them rather than get to the byline pinging crosses in. Forwards now need to have a bit more of an all round game to them than what DCL has imo but in fairness to him he isn't helped by the way we setup and I think under a more tactically astute coach he would score a few more.

This is a player that many have already stated is no longer a kid with potential but this is him as a finished article.

What we need to ask ourselves is do we think he is worth the money he is asking, is our striker for the next however many years and can we find better?

For me we have to cash in, this will be the last time we are getting money for him and if it’s ten goals a year his asking salary does not justify that, he has only had one good year and failed to kick on.

We need to stop being too loyal, be a bit more ruthless and use Beto, Chermiti and dares to say it Maupay until we find that elusive striker, I am sure there are plenty of European strikers that would come to the prem for half DCLs reputed salary and if we get him on a loan to buy its win win win for us.

Clubs are not queing up to buy him so we are obviously asking too much, re-jig the asking price and get rid , the offer should be taken off table, he has had long enough to mess us about, take ownership of the situation and slot him into the under 23s if he does not want to stay, he has earned enough out of the club and we need to earn from him.
With a business head on your are probably right the issue is finding a good replacement in the weeks left and I don't mean Broja. It would be just better if he stayed

With a business head on your are probably right the issue is finding a good replacement in the weeks left and I don't mean Broja. It would be just better if he stayed
Yeah pretty much this. Unless Kev has a surprise rabbit in his hat, which he may well do idk.

Otherwise, might as well stick for now, until the takeover gets sorted and the budget strings hopefully loosen a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back