2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's reported he was all in for Newcastle but they couldn't agree his wage demands and they wanted Wilson out first.

He's in his last 12 months. So financially needs selling or he needs to sign a new deal. Can't let him wind his contract down.
Can't stop him from running his contract down if that's what he wants to do and that is the problem.

This is a player that many have already stated is no longer a kid with potential but this is him as a finished article.

What we need to ask ourselves is do we think he is worth the money he is asking, is our striker for the next however many years and can we find better?

For me we have to cash in, this will be the last time we are getting money for him and if it’s ten goals a year his asking salary does not justify that, he has only had one good year and failed to kick on.

We need to stop being too loyal, be a bit more ruthless and use Beto, Chermiti and dares to say it Maupay until we find that elusive striker, I am sure there are plenty of European strikers that would come to the prem for half DCLs reputed salary and if we get him on a loan to buy its win win win for us.

Clubs are not queing up to buy him so we are obviously asking too much, re-jig the asking price and get rid , the offer should be taken off table, he has had long enough to mess us about, take ownership of the situation and slot him into the under 23s if he does not want to stay, he has earned enough out of the club and we need to earn from him.
That's all fair enough but I would add one other question, which is who, realistically, can we replace him with given the resources available to us? I agree that he's probably not worth what he's asking from us but none of our other forwards appear to be up to the task of replacing him as our lone forward and, if we manage to sell him for ~£20m, is there someone out there for that sort of fee that can come in and be our main man straight away? That's without considering Thelwell's seeming blind spot in terms of recruiting forwards. It's a difficult situation. I'm not sure there's any right answers.

That's all fair enough but I would add one other question, which is who, realistically, can we replace him with given the resources available to us? I agree that he's probably not worth what he's asking from us but none of our other forwards appear to be up to the task of replacing him as our lone forward and, if we manage to sell him for ~£20m, is there someone out there for that sort of fee that can come in and be our main man straight away? That's without considering Thelwell's seeming blind spot in terms of recruiting forwards. It's a difficult situation. I'm not sure there's any right answers.
For £20m Id be astonished if there wasn't someone in the French or Belgian leagues we could go for.

For £20m Id be astonished if there wasn't someone in the French or Belgian leagues we could go for.
I'm sure there is someone there that looks promising. It's whether they would want to come here rather than somewhere else and if they could hit the ground running. Like I said in my OP there's no perfect answers. What we do know is that DCL can do the job we ask of him, is there someone else out there who also could do that job, probably, and is there someone who can do that job and add more goals, possibly. It's a hard and lonely job playing up front for Everton the way we play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back