2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the price we would keep him at and let him run down his contract if we were offered it?

By that i mean, what's the number where he is worth more to us on the pitch this season and keeping him for a year and letting him go on a free next summer - then it is to sell him this summer if a club offered money - maybe 10 mill?

I'd also take a fee that would say cancel out the fee for Abraham - assuming we could get him to come.

Its a very good point mate, last year a case a point, think people forget we started last season without a forward really and Beto only came in for our third or fourth game and the PL was an adjustment for him, no preseason etc. There is a disruption factor.

Really is a mess.

I actually think the club think he's going to sign.
I think he might too, if he’s testing the market (as he’s entitled to do I guess) the market is giving him a clear response.

Just think for once we’re in a relatively good position coming out of pre-season, for the first time in a few years he’s completed one and is ready for the season, and we’ve got extra support players like Ndiaye and Lindstrøm in nice and early to bed in, for once we might actually be relatively ready to go rather than wasting games scrambling around the market.

Replacing your starting 9 at this point jeopardises a lot of that and shouldn’t be done lightly or cheaply. And TBH it’s not like we hold the cards anyway.

I think he might too, if he’s testing the market (as he’s entitled to do I guess) the market is giving him a clear response.

Just think for once we’re in a relatively good position coming out of pre-season, for the first time in a few years he’s completed one and is ready for the season, and we’ve got extra support players like Ndiaye and Lindstrøm in nice and early to bed in, for once we might actually be relatively ready to go rather than wasting games scrambling around the market.

Replacing your starting 9 at this point jeopardises a lot of that and shouldn’t be done lightly or cheaply. And TBH it’s not like we hold the cards anyway.

I dont mind Dom to be honest, he's a fetcher and his ceiling is 7-10 goals. If you accept what he is then he wont trouble you, rather then expecting 15 goals a season. For that profile the deal we are offering and status he has here is spectacular. Be a fool not to sign it - even if he does get a move away - hes not going to thrive.

Question for us is could we do better with investing 130k a week in wages on a forward - probably. Which is why im open minded. Why have we not - simply because he cost us 1 mill - for a starting PL center forward that's gold dust - simply put it costs more to replace him then to keep him in a spectacular deal.

As you rightly say, with days measured in short weeks to the deadline - the disruption factor comes into play. So there could be a decision to make depending on the bid, he might be in the -assess his options mode, but i wouldn't be surprised if a club comes in for him and we don't do a deal if its too low and too disruptive, if an offer comes in now its clubs who have waited to test the waters in the latter part of the window to see if they can get him at a lower price.

Its going to be interesting what position the club takes. No doubt they will have sounded out deals for the like of Broja as a contingency. Depending on the bid it might give us the cashflow for a Broja and Gnonto.....and the club may see that as worth the disruption.

Last edited:

I dont mind Dom to be honest, he's a fetcher and his ceiling is 7-10 goals. If you accept what he is then he wont trouble you, rather then expecting 15 goals a season. For that profile the deal we are offering and status he has here is spectacular. Be a fool not to sign it - even if he does get a move away - hes not going to thrive.

Question for us is could we do better with investing 130k a week in wages on a forward - probably. Which is why im open minded. Why have we not - simply because he cost us 1 mill - for a starting PL center forward that's gold dust - simply put it costs more to replace him then to keep him in a spectacular deal.

As you rightly say, with days measured in short weeks to the deadline - the disruption factor comes into play. So there could be a decision to make depending on the bid, he might be in the -assess his options mode, but i wouldn't be surprised if a club comes in for him and we don't do a deal if its to low and to disruptive, if an offer comes in now its clubs who have waited to test the waters in the latter part of the window to see if they can get him at a lower price.

Its going to be interesting what position the club takes. No doubt they will have sounded out deals for the like of Broja as a contingency. Depending on the bid it might give us the cashflow for a Broja and Gnonto.....and the club may see that as worth the disruption.
I think with better service and more creativity around him he could get 15 in a season.
Judging any striker in a team bereft of any creativity as we were last season is unfair.

The signings of Lindstrom, Ndiaye as well as the bids for Gnonto and others recognises this.

As you rightly say, with days measured in short weeks to the deadline - the disruption factor comes into play. So there could be a decision to make depending on the bid, he might be in the -assess his options mode, but i wouldn't be surprised if a club comes in for him and we don't do a deal if its to low and to disruptive, if an offer comes in now its clubs who have waited to test the waters in the latter part of the window to see if they can get him at a lower price.

I’m now pretty indifferent to his contract situation, like you say I’m not totally convinced we should be committing 130k a week for 4 or 5 years to someone with his fitness and form record. I’m not even sure I’d have it on the table for the time being.

At the same time I don’t think 10-15m would justify the disruption or get us any improvement in the position. So barring a much higher offer I don’t mind keeping him for stability in a season where relegation could still present a risk, then simply shaking hands at the end of the contract.

All three scenarios risk financial loss- he signs and gets injured or plays crap and we still have to pay him 25m over the years, we sell, fail to adequately replace and go down, we keep for a final season and he leaves and we miss out on a fee. If there’s no big money offer the latter might actually be the smallest gamble.

I think with better service and more creativity around him he could get 15 in a season.
Judging any striker in a team bereft of any creativity as we were last season is unfair.

The signings of Lindstrom, Ndiaye as well as the bids for Gnonto and others recognises this.

Id take that point on board mate and certainly we have lacked creative options - i suspect he thinks that as well.

Personally i doubt it, his career has proven hes a 7-10 man with his one really good season an anomaly and certainly his proficiency when chances are created (bad misses) isn't great, hes not a finisher, never has been or will will be in my opinion thus - he is what he is - ive made my peace with it and don't think he will ever be more. People waiting for him or expecting him to be any more are in for a long wait. ;)

Last edited:
Personally think we should still sign him, even for £130k maximum (if he actually would stay), unless we can flog him now. Either option is better than him leaving for free next season.
Not that I think he’s worth that, but £27m over 4 years for a known quantity, that let’s face it, we can always sell for money in a year or two, is still better than trying to replace him with an unknown quantity that’s going to cost a similar amount to sign plus a further £15m in wages (like Beto).

I’m now pretty indifferent to his contract situation, like you say I’m not totally convinced we should be committing 130k a week for 4 or 5 years to someone with his fitness and form record. I’m not even sure I’d have it on the table for the time being.

At the same time I don’t think 10-15m would justify the disruption or get us any improvement in the position. So barring a much higher offer I don’t mind keeping him for stability in a season where relegation could still present a risk, then simply shaking hands at the end of the contract.

All three scenarios risk financial loss- he signs and gets injured or plays crap and we still have to pay him 25m over the years, we sell, fail to adequately replace and go down, we keep for a final season and he leaves and we miss out on a fee. If there’s no big money offer the latter might actually be the smallest gamble.

Its where im at as well mate.

I would have sold him earlier - but clearly there is no interest and if there is it will be backloaded late in the window - that gives us a decision to make - with the weighing up you mention as to impact be it on or off field - that will be done to a dead line and in limited time scope in the last few weeks.

I suppose the up side for us would be, we only have this window/year to manage up to the 30th of June next year, then we are into a different sphere in revenue we can plan with at BMD. So we might see him as a sticking plaster for 12 months - depending on the deal offered. The other thing is he is taking on risk if he stays - if he gets injured his value drops, he's also playing for a contract somewhere for the next 3-5 years - so he has to preform.

Awful lot now depends on the offers that come in and i think there will be some in the final weeks, think teams have been waiting, while the market will move as deals get done and money passes around.

If we have a good start to the season - there is always January as well.

Its where im at as well mate.

I would have sold him earlier - but clearly there is no interest and if there is it will be backloaded late in the window - that gives us a decision to make - with the weighing up you mention as to impact be it on or off field - that will be done to a dead line and in limited time scope in the last few weeks.

I suppose the up side for us would be, we only have this window/year to manage up to the 30th of June next year, then we are into a different sphere in revenue we can plan with at BMD. So we might see him as a sticking plaster for 12 months - depending on the deal offered. The other thing is he is taking on risk if he stays - if he gets injured his value drops, he's also playing for a contract somewhere for the next 3-5 years - so he has to preform.

Awful lot now depends on the offers that come in and i think there will be some in the final weeks, think teams have been waiting, while the market will move as deals get done and money passes around.

If we have a good start to the season - there is always January as well.

That's it, nobody has bid. Newcastle showed an interest but pulled out when they couldn't sell Wilson.

They were interested in it as a workaround for PSR though. It would be like if we didn't sell Dobbin pre June 30th the same bids would come in. They wouldn't.

I don't think the club have any interest on making an offer that he would entertain. We have been cutting back on wages. If a bid comes in, he will go. But if it doesn't, I'm not convinced we will be offering a contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back