2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s only three types of people who don’t rate him:
1. Those who “know a player lad” who wrote him off and seethed when he developed into a good striker.
2. Those who “get what Tommy Robinson is saying lad” and seethed at a young confident lad taking an interest in fashion that threatened their insecure sexuality and very limited intelligence.
3. @davek who of course is correct and I stand with him to the death on all points.
You missed Point 4: Those who are Director of Football or Manager at 19 other Premier League Clubs - based on the lack of genuine interest in signing him.

I will be very happy if he goes. He has been a very expensive luxury that has delivered little for our investment. He is not the only one, but he is the one who is in the Everton news at the moment, and this is probably becoming a distraction to the rest of the squad.

I have no confidence that his performances or his availability to actually play might suddenly change for the better if, God forbid, he signs a new contract.

Please move him on, and the very best of British luck to him in the future.

You're entitled to your view. I don't think at 1.5m he has been either expensive or a luxury though.

He has provided enormous value to us, specially when compared to 90%+ of signings that have followed.

He has been a very expensive luxury that has delivered little for our investment.
He was signed for 1.5m.

I reckon hes on about 80k at the moment, but before that, he was on much less.

So over the last 7 years he has cost us between 20m and 30m, an average of around 3m a season.

In that time he has scored 56 Premier League goals.

A luxury, ok.

I think it's a very tough question to answer. Like it's not an easy situation any which way.
what would you do? the kids done nothing wrong in reality but gets treated like dog pooh based on his fashion and injuries etc and even when putting his body literally on the line ie breaking his cheekbone gets booed but yet has been a pivotal part of all good and also bad of the last few seasons but has been a stalwart and saved us without docoure vs bournemouth levels

Still feel this is a contract length issue for both us & potential buyers.

There’s a decent chance Dom’s first choice here til January.
I read that he was a bit concerned regarding the ownership issue and didnt really wanna commit to a club that is sailing alongside icebergs with no Captain to steer it.

But people have this idea that hes greedy.

All moves that have fallen apart have been down to Everton seeking too much money, but it suits people to read made up stories and paint him as a greedy.

what would you do? the kids done nothing wrong in reality but gets treated like dog pooh based on his fashion and injuries etc and even when putting his body literally on the line ie breaking his cheekbone gets booed but yet has been a pivotal part of all good and also bad of the last few seasons but has been a stalwart and saved us without docoure vs bournemouth levels

I honestly don't know how serious his injuries are mate. That's what makes it difficult.

Id probably meet him close to his demands, but only want to extend for 1 more season with perhaps a club option. No idea if he takes that.

There's no market for Toney currently, so hard to see one for Dom. If he stays I can fully understand the manager using him for the rest of the season and shaking hands at the end of it. He will be motivated to try and do his best to get the best contract he can, and his goals could get us into the top half.

It's a tough spot, but not sure we can commit to a long term deal with him. He made a hide difference to us last season, with him in the team we were closer to top 6, and without him we were bottom 5.

Take away the contract situation and the never going away feeling I have that at any time the thigh will just go again, then I'd be happy as Larry with having him as the striker for the next 4-5 years.

Problem is that thigh....

That's fundamentally my concern. We all have no idea what the medical view of him is.

Watched something on Michael Ball recently, where the club withdrew a contract and tried to flog him to Liverpool and then Rangers, largely off the back of concerns with his knee. It all seemed very odd at the time we didn't get him signed down, but it felt the right thing with hindsight.

I love DCL and have backed him from day 1, but even I can see you can't be giving big contacts to lads who might have injury issues. If an offer comes in, we would have to look at it, but I'm not convinced one does.

Worst case scenario, we probably have to get what we can from him, and probably let him move on. Is it a risk we ultimately want to have?

Like it or not, Dyche and Thelwell have really prioritised fitness, and it's the right thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.