2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
A fit and firing Dom is hard to replace. But we’ve seen that in about 10 games over the last 3 years.
Even on his good days he’s not a natural finisher, can’t strike a ball or create a chance for himself.

Thelwell picking out Beto terrifies me though.
I'd imagine Thelwells hands were tied with finances so probably had a very limited option of forwards to chose from considering we couldn't pay a penny at the time. Il give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do with the shackles off somewhat

I'd imagine Thelwells hands were tied with finances so probably had a very limited option of forwards to chose from considering we couldn't pay a penny at the time. Il give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do with the shackles off somewhat
Yeah we were basically looking to buy someone for £0 up front last season! Might see a better calibre of player coming this time round. It is what it is. It would be foolish to lose DCL for nothing next summer if we can take the money and reinvest wisely. That’s up to Thelwell but fingers crossed.

To be honest, if he hasn't shown any indication of extending his contract, then it makes sense to sell this week. We can't allow this to drag towards the start of the season and deadline day.

Make the deal before the financial year end to help PSR, bring in some funds, and then go and replace him with a good player.

The last part of that process is by far the toughest though.

Scored lots of goals when we had decent attacking options under Ancelotti. Hasn't scored many goals since we sold most of the team and he's had injury issues. It's weird that people slag him off.

If he's over the injury issues he'll be a really good player again. He obviously doesn't want to stay at Everton, which hurts, but it's another symptom of us being ran woefully for so long.

14 in three seasons. Injured a bit.

My concern is replacing him wisely.
Absolutely, if we do replace wisely, we should have someone with a much better return than that. That stat suggests less than 5 a season, a few of those have been penalties too.

Speculated fee for those numbers and injury history is too good to pass up.

We have a summer of trading ahead, pre and post 30 June. Selling DCL does/does not make sense depending on what we do with the £. If it means Minteh or Adebayo or Ndiaye or maybe even Broja (though his injuries worry me) in then it probably does providing they perform. We have to try to add pace and creativity. Selling DCL and Onana to do that is better than selling Branthwaite and Pickford IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back