2024/25 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Oh.

Well, I like his flair, his balance, his composure in the box. However...

two things:

1/ Can he actually reach the box in most PL games to get a shot off? I'm doubtful he has the pace carrying the ball or that he's robust enough to take a challenge.

2/ Do we get any defending from him or is he that luxury player we cant afford?

I have some of the same musings about Lindstrom too, btw.
He worked very hard v Donny

Much more concerned about Lindstrom

We'll see by the end of the day, but I always thought it was more likely that he stays than goes, regardless of the contract.

At the moment, he's worth more to us than to another club. A 15 million fee won't adequately replace him in the short term, and we only care about the short term while Moshiri dithers.

We'll see by the end of the day, but I always thought it was more likely that he stays than goes, regardless of the contract.

At the moment, he's worth more to us than to another club. A 15 million fee won't adequately replace him in the short term, and we only care about the short term while Moshiri dithers.
I said at the start of this, keeping him is by far the worst decision we can make.

But as you say, it makes the most sense from a business POV.

The weird things that our last 4-5 managers have all forgotten how to play football and chosen to go long to DCL - it is killing us an him

Lampard never.
But thats another story.
According to many on here we're actually playing to his strengths as a big number 9 target man. Even taking that into consideration about goals. His career stats for assists are one of the worst ive seen.
Its a struggle to find what he does well.
Is there a possibility he's an average mid to lower level table forward.

I was being kind and comparing career stats.
We'll see about top clubs. Lets just say i'll be amazed if any do. He hasnt got enough in his locker.

He was in the England squad and doing well. If he stays fit, in the right environment, he can be a threat. Not world class, but a reliable CF.

In 12 months, I think Fullkrug will have bombed and West Ham will need a new CF. Isak might leave Newcastle if they don't kick on this season and they'd need a new CF. If Chelsea don't get Osimhen over the line, they might yet come back in for him as a back up to Jackson. I wouldn't be surprised to see Emery consider him for Villa when Jhon Duran eventually leaves. I think those sort of teams are what he was hoping for and they aren't showing enough interest right now.

If they didn't have to pay a fee, I think those teams would take a look at DCL coming in as a rotation option. He might even fancy reinvigorating his career by going abroad like Smalling, Loftus-Cheek and Abraham did. If Oli McBurnie can outshine Mbappe as we saw last night, anything is possible!

He worked very hard v Donny

Much more concerned about Lindstrom
They both need more competitive minutes, all the new players do, but that’s on dyche.

Ndiaye started slow and grew into it, Lindy had flashes but stamina looked an issue - both need to play.

O’Brien the same, but looked comfortable and composed. Bigger tests to come but still needs competitive minutes.

More to come from them all if he and we gives them a chance.

Lampard never.
But thats another story.
According to many on here we're actually playing to his strengths as a big number 9 target man. Even taking that into consideration about goals. His career stats for assists are one of the worst ive seen.
Its a struggle to find what he does well.
Is there a possibility he's an average mid to lower level table forward.
Exactly this. He's not as bad as many make out, he's just not that great. A 1 in 4 striker who got worse after injury. Sadly, he's the best we've probably got, or will get, for the foreseeable.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back