2024/25 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

DCL/Broja in a PSR swap deal is the only way I can see him leaving tbh. Don’t know who else needs him, really

If Chelsea, we'd be better off going for:
Chalobah
Chukwuemeka
Gallagher
Madueke

With cash in/out depending on the player.

Clubs I could see him at:

Newcastle
Spurs
United

Newcastle
West Ham
Bournemouth
United

Back up at all of them. Hes not a top 15 player.

If he goes and we brought in Gnonto and Fofana that would be decent.

If we could get a fee and sign Gnonto / Asprilla for the wing OR Kayode / Couto for RB....or of course Roque.

Then I'd be happy.

I always expected him to be sold. And I still do think it's more likely he stays than goes. But I really did expect the situation to have been resolved by now, one way or another.

If we sell now, we have no time to replace him and its not really fair on the manager either.
Until mid of August, DCL has a clear mind to ask for more money that we cant match. There is no sign he will sign a new contract. I dont understand why our club still give 1st team chance. When we lower the asking price of DCL, there must be some offers to come. Our Club and him both need to move on. We should act faster and sell him before end of August.

If he doesn't sign a new contract, but the club don't accept an offer for him this Summer, but he scores 10+ goals and we stay up, is he still a rat?
It is quite a stupid management that you give chances who likely leave in next summer. If possible, we should let Chermiti and Beto to play more. They both could have chances to increase their selling price.

What’s a ‘credible’ deal for a player in a position where the main objective is to score goals who doesn’t score goals?
And for a senior player who has had significant spells out with injury? Are you advocating that lower than required goals return and (unfortunate) regularity of incapacity is a good basis for a better deal than he’s currently on?
In our financial position wages have to be realistic, and equally the players have to be committed to the Club.

I think this is the hub really, it's very hard. He has been injured for a long time, which is a big risk.

We are led to believe the contract was on the table from circa March/April time. A time when the clubs finances were very dicey, and deals werr being offered to players on less money.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was offered a lower deal, or equivalent terms, which I doubt is going to be of interest to him, as wages have gone up substantially in that time.

Id imagine he DCL probably signs for around 100-110k p/w. Im just not sure the club wants to do that, and would prefer to let him go for free over that.

I might be wrong, but it seems pretty obvious that a deal between DCL and Newcastle/whoever is already done.

They're just waiting to come in late with lowball offer that we have to accept.

I think the latest rumours that Bournemouth were eyeing him up as a potential Solanke replacement shows you the regard he's held in elsewhere in the league. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if that's humbled him a little bit and he does now wanna stay.

Tbf, I didn't hold anything against him for wanting out, he's been here a long time and sometimes people just need a change. As a fan as well, I get bored of the same old story with him at times; "if only he could stay fit", "not a natuaral finisher", "great player on his day but not often enough" etc...

Sorry. Too late in the day to get rid now. We are much more effective when he plays. Good luck in finding someone who brings the all round game he does at the drop of a hat. This place has been like a graveyard for strikers in recent years. The last panic buy being Maupay. I rest my case.

Sorry. Too late in the day to get rid now. We are much more effective when he plays. Good luck in finding someone who brings the all round game he does at the drop of a hat. This place has been like a graveyard for strikers in recent years. The last panic buy being Maupay. I rest my case.
We've bought Beto since then.
Case dismissed

I think this is the hub really, it's very hard. He has been injured for a long time, which is a big risk.

We are led to believe the contract was on the table from circa March/April time. A time when the clubs finances were very dicey, and deals werr being offered to players on less money.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was offered a lower deal, or equivalent terms, which I doubt is going to be of interest to him, as wages have gone up substantially in that time.

Id imagine he DCL probably signs for around 100-110k p/w. Im just not sure the club wants to do that, and would prefer to let him go for free over that.

The player himself has to be reasonable as well. His goal scoring record isn’t great along with his record with injuries and when you consider the club’s situation and the teams need for more goals, there has to be a middle ground in all this.

Not good business by the club letting it go down to the wire. Need to start making sure that the only players left with one year on their deal are those that aren't important at all, otherwise if it gets to two years and they don't want to be here, get rid.

Not good business by the club letting it go down to the wire. Need to start making sure that the only players left with one year on their deal are those that aren't important at all, otherwise if it gets to two years and they don't want to be here, get rid.
Definitely the best strategy. Not always that easy if no club offers enough to enable us to replace the player, and no club offers a salary more than what they want or are on here. Can’t just boot him out.

Couple that with the fact he is the best striker we either have on the books or are likely to be able to afford/attract for the upcoming season.

As an aside, he is in the new sleeve sponsor video which looks to have been filmed in the last couple of weeks given the newly signed players are in it. Whether than means anything 🤷‍♂️

Definitely the best strategy. Not always that easy if no club offers enough to enable us to replace the player, and no club offers a salary more than what they want or are on here. Can’t just boot him out.

Couple that with the fact he is the best striker we either have on the books or are likely to be able to afford/attract for the upcoming season.

Yeah, to be fair to the club with DCL it is a bit of an anomaly due to his injuries and the impending threat of relegation. Lessons to be learnt though.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back