2024/25 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

We are a club that's been fighting relegation for three seasons (ok last season was largely to do with the deduction) with little money it would be harder than people think to replace what he brings overall. The club has shown it in how many bad (ill fitting to our system) strikers they have bought in the last twenty years.

We're fighting relegation because our strikers ( including dcl ) are absolutely rubbish. It's not hard to replace 15 goals in 3 years we've been scrapping at the bottom.

Overrated astronomically on here, good on his day, his day is few and far between.

Saying that, hope hes up for it tomorrow because I'm dreading it with our rb options

I dont really understand this. Think what you like, but we signed a lad for absolute peanuts for our reserves. He's gone on to be a guy who is our 4th top scorer in the last 35 years or whatever. He would be even higher, had he not suffered several injuries, in no small part to the club pushing him back too soon when he wasn't fit.

He has fulfilled his contractual obligation to the club at the end of this season. He hasn't broken the contract he's signed. Yet you seem angry with him for not being very good, but also angry with him because he's not signing another contract. Can you not see the contradiction? If he's so bad, why would you want him to sign another contract?
Whilst I agree with a lot of what you say the original problem with injuries was due to a self inflicted injury with his big toe. Not the clubs fault by the way.
The other issues stemmed from this. We were so desperate (especially Benitez) to get him back on the pitch ASAP. Don’t forget he would have agreed to this which is commendable on his part.
He was picked up from Sheffield United reserves and Everton has done brilliant by him. He should show more respect. I’m a bit miffed with his attitude TBH.
Everton had been good to him but he signed the contract that was offered and he is honouring it. But he knows the club’s financial situation so should show loyalty IMO

We're fighting relegation because our strikers ( including dcl ) are absolutely rubbish. It's not hard to replace 15 goals in 3 years we've been scrapping at the bottom.

Overrated astronomically on here, good on his day, his day is few and far between.

Saying that, hope hes up for it tomorrow because I'm dreading it with our rb options
I agree he's not clinical but in a Dyche system he brings alot in terms of work rate, ariel ability bringing others in and chipping in. Yes I would like a prolific forward we all would, but there's two aspects to that the cost that we can't afford and the lack of chances we create. Yes DCL could take more but both our forwards feed off scraps so that when tbey get a chance they snatch at it. Finally and most crucially you know this club aren't gambling on a player who has scored goals from another league if DCL goes it will be someone worse not better it will be a Weghorst or Broja type neither fill me with confidence

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you say the original problem with injuries was due to a self inflicted injury with his big toe. Not the clubs fault by the way.
The other issues stemmed from this. We were so desperate (especially Benitez) to get him back on the pitch ASAP. Don’t forget he would have agreed to this which is commendable on his part.
He was picked up from Sheffield United reserves and Everton has done brilliant by him. He should show more respect. I’m a bit miffed with his attitude TBH.
Everton had been good to him but he signed the contract that was offered and he is honouring it. But he knows the club’s financial situation so should show loyalty IMO

How would you like him to show more respect mate? He's fulfilling his contract isn't he?

That's true, but we fight relegation because our team hasn't been very good, not just strikers.

One interesting aside, is really the two seasons we were really on a relegation dogfight were the ones Calvert Lewin wasn't fit for. Read into that what you wish.

My worry for Calvert Lewin is, if, he doesn't sign a new contract or leave on a transfer this summer, he will be in a very dangerous place with the crowd. A run of poor or goalless games would, in my opinion, lead to him being given a torrid time by the fans, this in turn would make it more difficult for him to play to the best of his ability and thus make it difficult for him to get the kind of move he wants when he is out of contract.

I feel that the best outcome here is for him to sign an extension at the club and failing that, for our sake and his, he should get himself a move. The third option, running down his contract, could be a disaster for us and him. If he does run down his contract, he will have to have a great season in order together the club he wants on the terms he want next summer.

My worry for Calvert Lewin is, if, he doesn't sign a new contract or leave on a transfer this summer, he will be in a very dangerous place with the crowd. A run of poor or goalless games would, in my opinion, lead to him being given a torrid time by the fans, this in turn would make it more difficult for him to play to the best of his ability and thus make it difficult for him to get the kind of move he wants when he is out of contract.

I feel that the best outcome here is for him to sign an extension at the club and failing that, for our sake and his, he should get himself a move. The third option, running down his contract, could be a disaster for us and him. If he does run down his contract, he will have to have a great season in order together the club he wants on the terms he want next summer.
I think if he stays for the season he will certainly have a very long goalless run, its how it goes with him, score 4 or 5 in a short run of games and then go 15 or more firing blanks. As a CF who`s not scoring and won`t at least show he wants to stay at the club by agreeing a new deal, why should he not be getting a torrid time from the fans?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back