2024/25 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Nowhere is it actually explained here what qualifies as a "run challenging the backline".

The expected passing stat is bizarre.

Dudes agent is playing a blinder.

How's his XG SKY.

Actually it's a stat from second spectrum data according to the sky sports graphic and I cannot find a definition of what it means anywhere on the internet.

The only place it seems to have ever appeared is on previous sky sports graphics for Ollie Watkins and Nicholas Jackson last year.

Make of that what you will.

Ok, but I'm not sure how they relate to Calvert Lewins agent

Ollie Watkins does it, Lukaku did it, Haaland does it, do I really need to name the people in the same position that get on the ball and make something happen??
The vast majority of their goals are directly assisted. Haaland possibly has the least touches of the ball in the league
Watkins does more than the other two but isn't as good a finisher and besides that, they all play in teams that have other attackers making clever runs and making space. Dom has 2 CBs on him every game with the closest to him an absolute donkey on the ball and wingers playing FB. Just like Chris Wood, he would score more not playing for Dyche. Is he perfect? No. Is he our best striker? yes

Nowhere is it actually explained here what qualifies as a "run challenging the backline".

The expected passing stat is bizarre.
A cursory glance at the "top 5s" for those stats shows how pointless they are.

And why is he 1st for expected pass completion? They say it slthemselves that he's the worst player in the league for pass completion. He should be bottom of the list.

The vast majority of their goals are directly assisted. Haaland possibly has the least touches of the ball in the league
Watkins does more than the other two but isn't as good a finisher and besides that, they all play in teams that have other attackers making clever runs and making space. Dom has 2 CBs on him every game with the closest to him an absolute donkey on the ball and wingers playing FB. Just like Chris Wood, he would score more not playing for Dyche. Is he perfect? No. Is he our best striker? yes
Watkins movement is excellent, but agree he's not Messi. I don't think Lukaku has led a counter attacking charge for about 5 years, like the goal he got vs City fir us. Haaland as you say doesn't go on mazy runs, but his movement is streets ahead of Dom's in the box.

Have to agree, not one of them is usually left as isolated as Dom either, no matter their respective merits.

Watkins movement is excellent, but agree he's not Messi. I don't think Lukaku has led a counter attacking charge for about 5 years i don't thibk, bot like the goal he git vs City fir us. Haaland as you say doesn't go on mazy runs, but his movement is streets ahead of Dom's in the box.

Have to agree, not one of them is usually left as isolated as Dom either, no matter their respective merits.
In relation to the 'create your own chances' which was what i replied to originally it is clear as day he doesn't get the service. Those players movement in the box is better but they also know their team-mates will find them. We clearly don't work on a range of attacking patterns of play. Each of those players would struggle in Dyche's team and would definitely want to leave.
I'm not saying Dom can do what Haaland does, of course not, but it is weird when somebody compares goal scoring stats in teams with completely different styles of play.
I'm beginning to think that Dom would sign if Dyche were gone. Who would enjoy his role?

In relation to the 'create your own chances' which was what i replied to originally it is clear as day he doesn't get the service. Those players movement in the box is better but they also know their team-mates will find them. We clearly don't work on a range of attacking patterns of play. Each of those players would struggle in Dyche's team and would definitely want to leave.
I'm not saying Dom can do what Haaland does, of course not, but it is weird when somebody compares goal scoring stats in teams with completely different styles of play.
I'm beginning to think that Dom would sign if Dyche were gone. Who would enjoy his role?
No mate, I knew you weren't comparing Dom to Haaland. Was just agreeing the post you responded to was waffle.

But agree, being the lone striker, with this manager, and set of players must be beyond dispiriting.

I don't think any of you are understanding "creating your own chances." That means when you get on the ball, which Dom gets on the ball like many others I listed, he does not go for goal, he tries a turn in the box, or takes too many touches. (the turn against Tottenham and trying to draw a penalty is what I'm talking about, the others would have hit that instead of over playing and then trying to win a penalty when his touch took the ball away from him) The others I listed, swivel their hips and turn on the ball and put it on frame or in the net. I said nothing about them getting service, runs, etc. I said when on the ball, taking and creating their own chances which the three I listed all do.

This has been discussed many times, horrible one on one (creating your own chance). Anything further than 6 yards out requires a little more skill and ability and he lacks that. Headers and tap in's he's not horrific but still no where near what we need in that position.

It's been proven when DCL has players around him he scores goals, ie James Rodriguez Digne Richarlison Gomes, with Carlo as Manager

He now has McNeil Harrison and Doucoure with Dyche as the manager, Dyches teams even with Burnley don't score goals, he plays not to concead and that's it
So you’re saying he should go then, because if he can’t do it with them players then we have to get someone who can. McNeill, and Doucoure will be here longer than Dyche will.

I don't think any of you are understanding "creating your own chances." That means when you get on the ball, which Dom gets on the ball like many others I listed, he does not go for goal, he tries a turn in the box, or takes too many touches. (the turn against Tottenham and trying to draw a penalty is what I'm talking about, the others would have hit that instead of over playing and then trying to win a penalty when his touch took the ball away from him) The others I listed, swivel their hips and turn on the ball and put it on frame or in the net. I said nothing about them getting service, runs, etc. I said when on the ball, taking and creating their own chances which the three I listed all do.

This has been discussed many times, horrible one on one (creating your own chance). Anything further than 6 yards out requires a little more skill and ability and he lacks that. Headers and tap in's he's not horrific but still no where near what we need in that position.
Maybe if we spent more time in the opposition box there would be less riding on it and he might be better at making the right choice.
Watkins can try things because there will be other chances, and he missed two sitters against Arsenal btw. When Dom messes up, it might be our only real chance in the game and it is magnified as a result. Imagine if he had the opportunity to try something different because the defender is wise to one thing. Imagine a style of play that the no9 can be told don't worry about missing, you'll get plenty more chances in the game. Would that no9 relax? You gave 3 players as an example that all play in teams that provide opportunities. Name one in a team that doesn't create a lot of chances that do what you think he should

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back