Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Zatara

Your whole point falls flat on its face due to the fact that you haven't got a clue what DCL is capable of as you have never really seen him play, unlike the manager who sees him daily and i'm pretty sure has an idea of his capabilities.

You think he chucked him on there for a laugh? You think he is making it up as he goes along?

He maybe thought the lad could offer a bit of something and take a bit of the pressure off us and perhaps try and worry them and put them on the back foot for a while.

It didn't work, you live and learn.

Exactly

Nothing wrong with saying it didn't work and moving on, it's the tone of the way Zat has addressed this whole matter which is the issue

He's presenting it as some sort of major screw up, when really it was just a sub that didn't pay off, and probably didn't really effect the game

Would we have won with Kev on? I personally doubt it

I'm hardly head of the Koeman fan club, but fair is fair, and having a go at him for this is nothing but counter productive, especially if you're someone who purports that you back the kids, as Zat says he is. And Zat chucking his toys out of the pram for being called on it is most unedifying IMO

We need to create an environment where a manager feels he can experiment and pick kids, even out of position, if he thinks it will work. What we don't want is to have the knives ready every time he plays a kid and it doesn't work

Anyone who really wants the kids to be given a chance would see that

I thought he did ok the lad, he held the ball up well again and showed a few neat little touches. Think he has definitely got something and showed more close control than Lukaku who looks badly out of form and whose first touch was even more erratic than usual.

Can see the merits of what both Mikey and Zat are saying. Im glad he is giving the youth a chance, to me Koeman is proving the people who said he has no interest in the youth wrong. At that time yesterday with no more subs to bring on and us under the cosh he wasnt the sub I would have made. I would have loved us to have been in a position to bring Deulofeu on against a tiring Milner but alas the two injuries put paid to that. He quite obviously rates both DCL and Holgate but unlike other on here isn't sold on the dream that Davies is the second coming yet. Lets just leave it at we are all glad that the youth are getting a chance to play but it probably wasn't the right sub last night.

Id be interested to see Koeman start with Calvert-Lewin up top over Christmas with Valencia alongside him and drop Lukaku for a game or two. He just doesnt look interested and maybe if he cant play and earn himself his dream move he might take stock of what we want from him as fans - work hard and keep your control close.

@Zatara

Your whole point falls flat on its face due to the fact that you haven't got a clue what DCL is capable of as you have never really seen him play, unlike the manager who sees him daily and i'm pretty sure has an idea of his capabilities.

You think he chucked him on there for a laugh? You think he is making it up as he goes along?

He maybe thought the lad could offer a bit of something and take a bit of the pressure off us and perhaps try and worry them and put them on the back foot for a while.

It didn't work, you live and learn.

Can you give any example of a similar situatiom where the player has been successful?

You know, derby match on the back foot, being dominated and throwing on a young centre forward as an auxillary RB to turn the game in a teams favour?

Its just pure insanity from koeman.

Playing young players is great...playing them massively out of position in these circumstances is not great...

Again, you need to look at koeman....we had 2 players to play defensively on the right side sat on the bench and 1 more attacking player there too...instead he plays a striker there.

Can you give any example of a similar situatiom where the player has been successful?

You know, derby match on the back foot, being dominated and throwing on a young centre forward as an auxillary RB to turn the game in a teams favour?

Playing young players is great...playing them massively out of position in these circumstances is not great...

Again, you need to look at koeman....we had 2 players to play defensively on the right side sat on the bench and 1 more attacking player there too...instead he plays a striker there.

How do you know it's "massively" out of position?

He's an attacking player, he will have definitely played on the wing before

I thought he did ok the lad, he held the ball up well again and showed a few neat little touches. Think he has definitely got something and showed more close control than Lukaku who looks badly out of form and whose first touch was even more erratic than usual.

Can see the merits of what both Mikey and Zat are saying. Im glad he is giving the youth a chance, to me Koeman is proving the people who said he has no interest in the youth wrong. At that time yesterday with no more subs to bring on and us under the cosh he wasnt the sub I would have made. I would have loved us to have been in a position to bring Deulofeu on against a tiring Milner but alas the two injuries put paid to that. He quite obviously rates both DCL and Holgate but unlike other on here isn't sold on the dream that Davies is the second coming yet. Lets just leave it at we are all glad that the youth are getting a chance to play but it probably wasn't the right sub last night.

Id be interested to see Koeman start with Calvert-Lewin up top over Christmas with Valencia alongside him and drop Lukaku for a game or two. He just doesnt look interested and maybe if he cant play and earn himself his dream move he might take stock of what we want from him as fans - work hard and keep your control close.

Personally dont think he should play Valencia...he looks atrocious to me.

Id stick DCL up front with lukaku though and see how it goes...

We wont know much about DCL until he plays up front....totally unfair to play him out of position like that.

I wanted to see him play... just not out on the wing. I don't think he really affected the game negatively as much as he just didn't really add anything to that position. Davies should be given a shot if anyone.

Let's agree to disagree. He wasn't an auxiliary right back at all, he was thrown on to try and get us going forward instead of being on the back foot.

Yes he could have brought Mirallas on, but really, he's had his day and his chances and I am at the stage where i'd rather see new blood rather than the same tired old failures.

Let's agree to disagree. He wasn't an auxiliary right back at all, he was thrown on to try and get us going forward instead of being on the back foot.

Yes he could have brought Mirallas on, but really, he's had his day and his chances and I am at the stage where i'd rather see new blood rather than the same tired old failures.

Mirallas can go for me...

Im just mad because DCL looked (as i said before) like he was in a trench in the somme...

If he had been shoved up front and we lost 3-0 at least its a logical move...or kenny/holgate coming on...its clear what the reasoning is.

I bet DCL is feeling abit 'blue' today.

I can get on board with the idea of dropping Lukaku but not for the two players you mentioned. As fans we always want a change if things aren't going well but do you really think Valencia and a kid are going to help improve things?

I agree with seeing new blood, but this was probably not the occasion to do so. Mirallas probably should have been the call to make in this situation (with consideration to how he used DCL).

Mate, I was in the stadium, he was on the wing

Wing to me is hugging the touchline above or around the halfway line ahead of the RB.

On the TV he looked like a RM out wide but covering for coleman...

I was actually watching him for 2mins just standing in the RB position and doing nothing wondering if id got him mixed up with someone else...then it panned to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back