Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
....still not seeing any signs that he can positively impact football matches with a bit of magic. It's what forward players need and it might be there but I'm not seeing it yet.

Obviously the coaches see something in him as does the manager, but really watching him, he just looks a decent league one/lower championship calibre striker atm, as you say, there isn't anything that stands out as exceptional about him - pace, finishing, aerial ability, strength etc, he is just 'ok' at a few things and a few things he's weak at.

Needs a good loan spell and to develop physically before he should be anywhere near the first team

I'm afraid he just hasn't shown anything. Nothing to suggest he will go on to be a premier league player. If you look at Vaughan, he had raw pace and energy, Vic had great strength. Jeffers had pace and timing, Davies has a clear football brain.
That's before we mention anyone who has actually gone on to do anything.
DCL, just a nothing player IMO.

To me he just looks like a big, lanky CF growing into his body and trying to step up (a lot of!) divisions. People have naturally been impressed more with Lookman as his game suits being out wide a bit more. He's got pace and trickery and a low centre of gravity.

DCL probably does need a loan at a lower level, but his goalscoring record is very good (at other levels) and that says to me there's definitely something there. Never as a wide player but maybe as a CF. Might need to bulk up but given that I read he was 5'9 when he signed but he looks at least as tall as Rom does, he's probably still adapting to his body after some growth spurts. Few people are built like Rom at that age.

He Isn't rubbish he is just not ready really. He seems very slow and lightweight which is a bad combo in the premier league.

Certainly not giving up on him or anything though.

Personally think he should be out on loan, he's looked dreadful.

Why isn't Lookman chosen? He looks a threat and would've helped last night

Too early to write him off

Might benefit from a loan next season
Looks like a loan would do him some good, needs to fill Out a bit for the type of player i suspect he his a traditional centre forward, reading up an him at Sheffield unt they all comment on how good he is in the air, looks decent for England when he plays, and it a big step up at his age and experiencel, i am going to go against the grain here and say he will turn out a decent player for us.

Some sense being spoken here. He looks like a target man growing into his body and learning his role, he may well end up doing this role admirably but at the moment he looks a level below what is required. I think he'll benefit in the long run from Koeman giving him minutes but it's not really helping us much currently.

I'll put a bit of a defence of the lad and Koeman here.

He played well against Hull and scored a good goal. Koeman tends to work on a meritocracy so I can see why he kept him in for the derby.

Last night he probably wanted a more physical lad to help with set plays and take some hits for Lukaku. He lacked a bit of composure and gave the ball away.

Eggs is right to say there's no magic there. Not every player has to have magic though. Shane long doesn't, Pelle didn't and even Charlie Austin didn't yet Koeman liked all 3 of them as strikers. I see DCL as sharing some similarities with those. He is a big strong lad, takes up good positions, works hard and gets close to Lukaku and I always fancy him to get on the end of a cross.

It's funny really but after the Arsenal game when people raved of him I was more cautious and now probably not as critical as others are. I like the lad and he will be growing with each appearance. He'll always be in the effective rather than spectacular category.

I can understand people wanting Lookman. Maybe Koeman felt the game would be a bit physical for him? However my view is Koeman is not looking at it on a game by game basis. Most of the younger players are longer term projects. With most of the young players he's dipped them in, then taken them out to work on aspects of their game before giving them more opportunities. This is fantastic and brave youth development. We could all see Lookman was struggling in his last couple of games so you don't want to kill his confidence.

Anyway DCL was a little overawed last night in a game it was hard to get the pace of. Let's not right him off yet though, if he learns the right lessons from this he's still shown some promising performances and as I've said I'd rather see him than Yor Kones or Valencias who have limited long term future here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back