Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont blame him too much for his performance yesterday, I just think he was the absolutely wrong person to bring on. Now I thought his work rate was really poor considering the game and the situation, but the reality is he never should have been on the pitch. It was blatantly obvious that United were pressing too far, allowing us to break, and that everyone was tired. This game was screaming for Lookman, pure pace. If hes on, we might score 2, because his speed on the break against exhausted defenders would have taken those opportunities we squandered and turned them into real threats. DCL is just the type of player you want in a more technical, slower paced game.

I'm not sure this lad's earned the right to an acronym at this point. Aren't they usually handed out to people of repute?

He didn't play well when he came on and you can't get around that. But he's barely 20 and was asked to do job, in a very pressurised situation, that he wasn't suited to and dare I say capable of. I just don't think he should have been put in that situations and doesn't deserve some of the stick coming his way on here.

Yeah i agree; from what I've seen in general though I still think a loan would benefit him

Wouldn't argue with that mate. But Pennington hasn't had an OTT reaction from last nights game that DCL has, probably because he acquitted himself reasonably well, in a game that suited his defensive attributes a lot better than the weekends game. He took a lot of stick after the derby and I defended him too in the post below.

I don't think it serves any purpose to jump on a young players back as soon as they make a mistake, especially when they've been put into a situation that they shouldn't have been. I think it was a mistake to play Pennington at the weekend and it was a mistake to bring DCL on last night (and play him from the start at the weekend for that matter). But that's not the players faults and I don't believe the level of criticism both have received over the last few days has been warranted.

Looks like Pennington will have to play again at the weekend now and it's going to be a very difficult game for him against the pace of a recharged Vardey. But I think we'll sit deep against them with Barry holding if Schneids isn't fit, and I think that set up will suit both Pennington and Jags.
Very much a voice of reason

Let's hope the negativity stays on here rather than from the stands on Sunday

Nothing against DCL, but he's not ready for the first team. I strongly think that he needs to be protected now and have a spell in the under 23's for the forcseeable.

...encouraged by his display in last nights U23 victory. As we know he looks like he has really good technique to play a back to goal, target man role. He's more than decent in the air and can link play well. What we haven't seen yet at first team level is the ability to produce a moment of magic that creates a goal or a chance.

Sake

C94ppBSWsAAla9M.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back