Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't really stood out, he seems like a good lad and certainly has some qualities - but I think a loan would suit both parties
The lads a striker. He's the sort of player you'd put up front if Rom was injured, or put up front alongside Rom if we were chasing the game for an equaliser or winner. Early in in the U23s Niasse benefitted greatly from his hold up and link play and I've seen it for the England U20s too. The lad has qualities and he knows where the goal is too.

Last nights game was totally inappropriate for him. We needed somebody who could be the link player in our counters and that just isn't his game. It was a surprising decision by RK given the impact both Valencia and Lookman have had in previous games. But we shouldn't be blaming DCL for that.

Be interesting to to hear what Ron asked him to do
Without being to disrespectful he looked like a Sunday league sub who only gets a game when only 11 players turn up someone breaks a leg or he's the coaches son

The lads a striker. He's the sort of player you'd put up front if Rom was injured, or put up front alongside Rom if we were chasing the game for an equaliser or winner. Early in in the U23s Niasse benefitted greatly from his hold up and link play and I've seen it for the England U20s too. The lad has qualities and he knows where the goal is too.

Last nights game was totally inappropriate for him. We needed somebody who could be the link player in our counters and that just isn't his game. It was a surprising decision by RK given the impact both Valencia and Lookman have had in previous games. But we shouldn't be blaming DCL for that.
If he's a striker he looked like he was pulling a piano and was easily brushed of the ball

Yeah I thought he looked a little lightweight and unsure last night; i would've loved to have seen Lookman give them something to really think about on the counter but I guess he can be wasteful with the ball and usually DCL is very strong with the ball at his feet

If he's a striker he looked like he was pulling a piano and was easily brushed of the ball
I didn't say he's the finished article and I didn't say he had a good game.

What I am saying is that he literally turned 20 weeks ago and was brought on to a high pressure situation to do a job he wasn't used to or capable of. If you want to hang him out to dry that's up to you.

Yeah I thought he looked a little lightweight and unsure last night; i would've loved to have seen Lookman give them something to really think about on the counter but I guess he can be wasteful with the ball and usually DCL is very strong with the ball at his feet
He didn't play well when he came on and you can't get around that. But he's barely 20 and was asked to do job, in a very pressurised situation, that he wasn't suited to and dare I say capable of. I just don't think he should have been put in that situations and doesn't deserve some of the stick coming his way on here.

I'd say he's a James Vaughan level of player. He's ok, but not the required standard. On the evidence so far he wont make it here.

I didn't say he's the finished article and I didn't say he had a good game.

What I am saying is that he literally turned 20 weeks ago and was brought on to a high pressure situation to do a job he wasn't used to or capable of. If you want to hang him out to dry that's up to you.

There was probably more pressure on Pennington after the weekend

There was probably more pressure on Pennington after the weekend
Wouldn't argue with that mate. But Pennington hasn't had an OTT reaction from last nights game that DCL has, probably because he acquitted himself reasonably well, in a game that suited his defensive attributes a lot better than the weekends game. He took a lot of stick after the derby and I defended him too in the post below.
I agree mate.

Pennington is not long back from a long injury lay off and since he's been back he has been playing second string football where, overall, he's looked comfortable. He's then thrown in the deep end against the most mobile front 3 in the league, one of which has been one of the best players in the league this season and the other 2 are Brazil Internationals. He was way off the pace and I'm not surprised.

Mobility is not Pennington's strong point and sadly not Jagielka's and Williams's either. Our back 3 on Saturday were all too similar. Plus Pennington, as far as I'm aware, has absolutely no experience playing in a back 3 in a competitive game.

I don't doubt he has a good career ahead of him in professional football, hopefully at premier level. Not sure whether it will be with us given our recent ambition since Moshiri joined us. I think Holgate is slightly ahead of him and he has stiff competition from Browning and Galloway too and I can only see perhaps one of those three still being here by the end of next season.

Absolutely no need for some of the stick he's had on here though.

I don't think it serves any purpose to jump on a young players back as soon as they make a mistake, especially when they've been put into a situation that they shouldn't have been. I think it was a mistake to play Pennington at the weekend and it was a mistake to bring DCL on last night (and play him from the start at the weekend for that matter). But that's not the players faults and I don't believe the level of criticism both have received over the last few days has been warranted.

Looks like Pennington will have to play again at the weekend now and it's going to be a very difficult game for him against the pace of a recharged Vardey. But I think we'll sit deep against them with Barry holding if Schneids isn't fit, and I think that set up will suit both Pennington and Jags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back