Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should have signed Lewis Cook but he went to bournemouth. Rather than bolasie we should also have gotten Nathan redmond but he went to southampton.

One ive been told is very good is Rico Henry. Hes a rapid left back and capped at u19 level but playing for wycome i think. Another is the centre mid at sheffield united but looks like weve swerved him as we signed this forward from them yet werent in for him.

Theres solanke at chelsea as well who looks devastating.
I like both Cook and Redmond and would have been happy if we'd gone after either of them. The lad Grey who joined Leicester last year looks tasty too. Will Hughes has a lot of experience considering that he's been blighted by injury for the last 2 seasons, but if he does get back to previous levels I reckon he'd go for some silly money in the current markets.

I do follow the youth football and try and watch all England development internationals whenever I can. I've never come across Rico henry before so I googled him. Interestingly, he's in the same age group as Callum Connolly who has been the regular England left back since the under 17s, so he must have been keeping Rico out of the frame. Doesn't mean he'll go on to become the better player as you never can tell at this age.

As regards Solanke, I'm not sure where I stand on Chelsea players. Over recent years they've had what appears to be a never ending conveyer belt of talent (especially attacking players) and the England squad has been littered with them. Some of them have been absolutely outstanding at their age group, and I include Dominic Solanke in that group. But they very rarely get an opportunity in the first team and very rarely do Chelsea sell them. They tend to send them out on loan and invariably those loan spells are not very successful either. Eventually they are released when aged 22/24 and not heard of again (at the top level anyway).

One criticism I heard levied at Chelsea is that they encourage their players to be individualistic, rather than team players. This is something I have indeed noticed at International level.

As you mentioned Zat, we have been very successful in recent years shopping in the lower divisions in the 17/19 age groups, and I'd prefer us to continue concentrating in this area, introducing them to our development squad where Unsy is doing a fantastic job by all accounts.

We have missed out on a few too. How did we miss Dele Alli when we were scouting Galloway, and Patrick Roberts for £7m was a no brainer.

, Matty Foulds is another who appears to be doing very well in the development squad.

Indeed, could be a good signing. However, he was bought for less than £1mil. I think weve seen that alot of these small fee kids are punts and dont make the step up...although he could prove to be the exception.

Now we have money id like to see us pick up the best english talent u21 in the lower leagues.

I like both Cook and Redmond and would have been happy if we'd gone after either of them. The lad Grey who joined Leicester last year looks tasty too. Will Hughes has a lot of experience considering that he's been blighted by injury for the last 2 seasons, but if he does get back to previous levels I reckon he'd go for some silly money in the current markets.

I do follow the youth football and try and watch all England development internationals whenever I can. I've never come across Rico henry before so I googled him. Interestingly, he's in the same age group as Callum Connolly who has been the regular England left back since the under 17s, so he must have been keeping Rico out of the frame. Doesn't mean he'll go on to become the better player as you never can tell at this age.

As regards Solanke, I'm not sure where I stand on Chelsea players. Over recent years they've had what appears to be a never ending conveyer belt of talent (especially attacking players) and the England squad has been littered with them. Some of them have been absolutely outstanding at their age group, and I include Dominic Solanke in that group. But they very rarely get an opportunity in the first team and very rarely do Chelsea sell them. They tend to send them out on loan and invariably those loan spells are not very successful either. Eventually they are released when aged 22/24 and not heard of again (at the top level anyway).

One criticism I heard levied at Chelsea is that they encourage their players to be individualistic, rather than team players. This is something I have indeed noticed at International level.

As you mentioned Zat, we have been very successful in recent years shopping in the lower divisions in the 17/19 age groups, and I'd prefer us to continue concentrating in this area, introducing them to our development squad where Unsy is doing a fantastic job by all accounts.

We have missed out on a few too. How did we miss Dele Alli when we were scouting Galloway, and Patrick Roberts for £7m was a no brainer.

What i have always wanted to see is the first eleven being full of top players, then the backup /rotation options arent Valencia or Lennon types but English u21 players who, if developed could push the first eleven players to improve and possibly dislodge them.

For me, the best example of this at the moment would be Holgate/Coleman, Davies/Barry and next season Galloway/Baines.

If Coleman was fully fit now i still couldnt see a way back in the team for him unless holgate loses form. Then if Holgate took his place next summer we sell coleman and have holgate as first choice and kenny behind him.

We could have half a team of u21 players and the other half of established players. At the moment i think the young defenders should be given opportunities to get minutes as well as one or two others like davies.

For me, we shouldnt have gone for valencia or bolasie and instead gone for a potential star like we did with deulofeu who could push mirallas at LW. Likewise it seems daft to get valencia when we have kone already and should have gone for a young forward to push lukaku and develop.

Will hughes is a strange one. Used to be linked everywhere for £10mil but never moved and had that bad injury.

One other point, i like the way stoke bought butland for sizeable money and loaned him out till he was first choice. We should have done this but always sign cheap kids who never progress leaving us with 10 youth keepers.

Indeed, could be a good signing. However, he was bought for less than £1mil. I think weve seen that alot of these small fee kids are punts and dont make the step up...although he could prove to be the exception.

Now we have money id like to see us pick up the best english talent u21 in the lower leagues.
£225 k. Thought it was more to be honest. Hopefully more of a bargain than I thought.

Fully agree. Said in a later post we should have gone after Dele Alli (who we must have seen loads of when we were scouting Galloway) and Patrick Roberts.

£225 k. Thought it was more to be honest. Hopefully more of a bargain than I thought.

Fully agree. Said in a later post we should have gone after Dele Alli (who we must have seen loads of when we were scouting Galloway) and Patrick Roberts.

Snag with roberts is that hes a dwarf...so its hard to tell if he would suit the prem. Hes gone for the money at city so he is set for life yet doesnt show confidence to me.

Absolutely stupid not signing Alli. When we got galloway literally all the papers were raving about alli. I cant believe we missed him. With him in the side now with Barkley we could have Englands centre midfield for years to come especially if davies fulfills his potential.

What i have always wanted to see is the first eleven being full of top players, then the backup /rotation options arent Valencia or Lennon types but English u21 players who, if developed could push the first eleven players to improve and possibly dislodge them.

For me, the best example of this at the moment would be Holgate/Coleman, Davies/Barry and next season Galloway/Baines.

If Coleman was fully fit now i still couldnt see a way back in the team for him unless holgate loses form. Then if Holgate took his place next summer we sell coleman and have holgate as first choice and kenny behind him.

We could have half a team of u21 players and the other half of established players. At the moment i think the young defenders should be given opportunities to get minutes as well as one or two others like davies.

For me, we shouldnt have gone for valencia or bolasie and instead gone for a potential star like we did with deulofeu who could push mirallas at LW. Likewise it seems daft to get valencia when we have kone already and should have gone for a young forward to push lukaku and develop.

Will hughes is a strange one. Used to be linked everywhere for £10mil but never moved and had that bad injury.

One other point, i like the way stoke bought butland for sizeable money and loaned him out till he was first choice. We should have done this but always sign cheap kids who never progress leaving us with 10 youth keepers.
Holgate was good at RB, but he's a natural CB, isnt he? Anyways, to think he will be good enough to nab Colemans spot in a year is pure dreaming. Coleman is a lot better than him. A couple of months with Koeman, and the 'best attacking back in England'-shouts will return.
Holgate taking Jags spot in a couple of years is a lot more realistic. Then agan, he might never make it, like most young players.

Finding the right balance is always the hard part.

Without Europe we don't need a large squad anyway. I just hope Koeman gives youth a chance from the bench rather than some of the deadwood. I know you don't have high expectations of this Zat.

Agree with your GKs point. Problem is really good young English GKs come through so infrequently. Apart from the lad at Sunderland I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Holgate was good at RB, but he's a natural CB, isnt he? Anyways, to think he will be good enough to nab Colemans spot in a year is pure dreaming. Coleman is a lot better than him. A couple of months with Koeman, and the 'best attacking back in England'-shouts will return.
Holgate taking Jags spot in a couple of years is a lot more realistic. Then agan, he might never make it, like most young players.

Hes looked better in every game than coleman has for 2 seasons. Also coleman cant defend

Finding the right balance is always the hard part.

Without Europe we don't need a large squad anyway. I just hope Koeman gives youth a chance from the bench rather than some of the deadwood. I know you don't have high expectations of this Zat.

Agree with your GKs point. Problem is really good young English GKs come through so infrequently. Apart from the lad at Sunderland I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Woodman at newcastle seems to be the next one. I think for us griffiths has been in an international youth squad but surely there must be one coming through who looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back