Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which players have stood out for you from other clubs ? I liked the look of Gomez before he went to liverpool but he picked up that major injury.
To be honest Zat I follow Everton. My missus absolutely hates all sports but especially football. I have to therefore pick and chose what football I watch on TV, so that means Everton games at all levels, and International matches where there's Everton representation.

The England youth set up is dominated by Chelsea, and I just don't think they would consider selling any of their young stars. I really believe their youth policy is ruining the development of English players.

I really like Dominic Iorfa, a right back from Wolves and currently England under 21s. He's like a young Micah Richards. There's also a young guy at Sunderland called Rees Greenwood. A right footer who plays wide left and takes the meanest corners and free kicks. He's not a tricky player but more of a hard working type with a cracking cross/long ball on him. Had a few games for the under 20s. Bit Beckham ish but defo without the looks. Also like Adam Armstrong, the centre forward from Newcastle who's a Jamie Vardy type.

I agree Gomez was a good buy for Liverpool. Only seen him at CB for England and RS played him at LB.

The lads joining City's under 18s this year are meant to be a bit special according to reports, but haven't seen anything of them personally.

...don't think so. I remember reading an article where Dewsnip said he would build his team around Galloway, he rated him so highly.
Seems a strange things to say Eggs. Why would anyone build a team around a defender?

He probably meant to say Dele Alli and we went after the wrong player.

Glad we got Galloway anyway. Think he's gonna be boss.

To be honest Zat I follow Everton. My missus absolutely hates all sports but especially football. I have to therefore pick and chose what football I watch on TV, so that means Everton games at all levels, and International matches where there's Everton representation.

The England youth set up is dominated by Chelsea, and I just don't think they would consider selling any of their young stars. I really believe their youth policy is ruining the development of English players.

I really like Dominic Iorfa, a right back from Wolves and currently England under 21s. He's like a young Micah Richards. There's also a young guy at Sunderland called Rees Greenwood. A right footer who plays wide left and takes the meanest corners and free kicks. He's not a tricky player but more of a hard working type with a cracking cross/long ball on him. Had a few games for the under 20s. Bit Beckham ish but defo without the looks. Also like Adam Armstrong, the centre forward from Newcastle who's a Jamie Vardy type.

I agree Gomez was a good buy for Liverpool. Only seen him at CB for England and RS played him at LB.

The lads joining City's under 18s this year are meant to be a bit special according to reports, but haven't seen anything of them personally.

I tend to focus on our lads when I watch England as well. Often ignoring all the other players and just watch our player throughout.

Chelsea I think are often quite over represented at youth levels. I've always felt England coaches are overly generous towards London clubs and Chelsea seem to always create a bit of hype around their players.

The difficulty is in trying to buy players from Chelsea is that it is a business for them. Unless you start throwing silly money at it they have no interest in selling. Likewise they have no massive interest in developing them into Chelsea players, but want to generate revenue.

I tend to focus on our lads when I watch England as well. Often ignoring all the other players and just watch our player throughout.

Chelsea I think are often quite over represented at youth levels. I've always felt England coaches are overly generous towards London clubs and Chelsea seem to always create a bit of hype around their players.

The difficulty is in trying to buy players from Chelsea is that it is a business for them. Unless you start throwing silly money at it they have no interest in selling. Likewise they have no massive interest in developing them into Chelsea players, but want to generate revenue.
Couldn't agree more mate.

Chelsea tend to go after players with lots of individual flair, and they appear to continue to encourage this individuality (or some may say selfishness) in their play. Maybe this fits in with their business model as they believe it will increase the players potential future market value.

I just feel as though this is a poor strategy as regards the players development, as they don't learn the key team ethics that all the very top players seem to have. In addition, they are not getting any opportunity to test their ability at the highest level, very often going out on loan to inferior leagues where their skill set is not appreciated.

As you say, Chelsea appear to see their academy as a business rather than a development plan, and a bi product of this is that some of our nations finest potential ends up on the proverbial scrap heap. Hopefully, the longer this continues then parents will recognise it and encourage their sons to sign for other academies. Unfortunately, call me a cynic if you wish, but I suspect that the financial incentives/promises made by Chelsea will speak louder.

I've noticed that to, when an England youth squad is put up on Twitter. It's dominated by the southern clubs

When we came 2nd to Middlesbrough in the under 18's
The next England squad announced at that level. Middlesbrough had no players in and I think we had 2. We've finished above Chelsea 3yrs running at that level.

And I don't think arsenal have done anything at under 18 level
For a few yrs, but are still well represented when it comes to England.

I've noticed that to, when an England youth squad is put up on Twitter. It's dominated by the southern clubs

The next England squad announced at that level. Middlesbrough had no players in and I think we had 2. We've finished above Chelsea 3yrs running at that level.

That's because the English football team like the country itself is entirely a southern concept .

Networks are very important with you football. Coaches, scouts etc build up a level of trust. It was no surprise to me after Deanship went there suddenly our intake for the year groups he was close too shot up. We have to remember these lads are not well known and in a lot of cases not playing competitive football. The Manager of an FA age group will have people he will work closely too and will ask their opinion. That is reflected in the selections.

This will be reinforced by Scouts going to watch predominately Chelsea games and picking their players. It becomes an Echo chamber. It's amazing a lad like Walsh hasn't had a look in for England. Thats in no small part down to him playing like Scholes did though and managers like Boothroyd not having a clue how to get the best out of him.

Networks are very important with you football. Coaches, scouts etc build up a level of trust. It was no surprise to me after Deanship went there suddenly our intake for the year groups he was close too shot up. We have to remember these lads are not well known and in a lot of cases not playing competitive football. The Manager of an FA age group will have people he will work closely too and will ask their opinion. That is reflected in the selections.

This will be reinforced by Scouts going to watch predominately Chelsea games and picking their players. It becomes an Echo chamber. It's amazing a lad like Walsh hasn't had a look in for England. Thats in no small part down to him playing like Scholes did though and managers like Boothroyd not having a clue how to get the best out of him.
Yes Walsh not being involved more with England is strange. But not as strange as boothroyd being part of youth development for England. His Watford team just played long ball. He seems very similar to graham Taylor

Yes Walsh not being involved more with England is strange. But not as strange as boothroyd being part of youth development for England. His Watford team just played long ball. He seems very similar to graham Taylor
Couldn't agree more. It really does beg the question how are the likes of boothroyd and his 'football philosophy' allowed anywhere near an England youth set up. The likes of Glenn hoddle or even Dario grade who has a proven record of developing talented youngsters should be getting the jobs, not the likes of boothroyd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back