Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are times when I despair of my fellow Evertonians ( and I'm not referring to Darth Toffeeman here, who make a decent point )
Over in the Morgan thread I see

.. and yet, here we are, in the Calvert-Lewin thread, and people are saying he's not good enough / championship player at best / being played out of position, all of which may turn out to be true like, but he's making a big step up and is being given game time by Koeman. I actually thought he was half way decent today and showed some promise. For sure, he hasn't totally hit the ground running and doesn't look like a world-beater at the moment, but he plainly has something about him and may well come good, but it does seem there is an element of our fan base who just likes to moan, which, ironically, is what I'm doing about a minority of our fan base.
We've got some utter biffs who are raging because we've just dropped our first points at home since last year against the likely champions. Easily as bad as geordies and kopites.

There are times when I despair of my fellow Evertonians ( and I'm not referring to Darth Toffeeman here, who make a decent point )

.. and yet, here we are, in the Calvert-Lewin thread, and people are saying he's not good enough / championship player at best / being played out of position, all of which may turn out to be true like, but he's making a big step up and is being given game time by Koeman. I actually thought he was half way decent today and showed some promise. For sure, he hasn't totally hit the ground running and doesn't look like a world-beater at the moment, but he plainly has something about him and may well come good, but it does seem there is an element of our fan base who just likes to moan, which, ironically, is what I'm doing about a minority of our fan base.

Seeing Kone come on sent me full on apocalyptic.

How in God's name did he get the no9 shirt.
DCL did ok in parts but visibly tired.
I would sooner have seen Kenny, Baningime, Dowell get minutes than Arouna.

Was only able to see the first half but thought he did ok. Had a few good moments. Was a threat. Can't comment on second half

Not really. He's in the team, and people can pass opinion on him.
Unlike Davies and unlike Barkley when he broke through, and also unlike Holgate and Galloway - he just doesn't seem to have anything about him at all. Nothing to suggest he will ever be a Premier League player.

I may be wrong of course, but on an Everton forum, on a thread about him, surely people can express that opinion.

He's Koeman's Cleverly.

I'd "dislike" that comment, but I think you're enjoying being top of the Disliked Members board so I'll just stick my tongue out at you instead.

:p

We've got some utter biffs who are raging because we've just dropped our first points at home since last year against the likely champions. Easily as bad as geordies and kopites.

Say what you mean mate, don't hold back.
Geordites would be a good term for such people though.

surely people can express that opinion.

Of course they can mate, and equally I can despair of people who aren't able to see the situation whereby a young player is being given game time so he gets some useful experience. We're not exactly brimful of alternative players to throw in upfront, so I think what Koeman's doing makes a lot of sense.

Not really. He's in the team, and people can pass opinion on him.
Unlike Davies and unlike Barkley when he broke through, and also unlike Holgate and Galloway - he just doesn't seem to have anything about him at all. Nothing to suggest he will ever be a Premier League player.

I may be wrong of course, but on an Everton forum, on a thread about him, surely people can express that opinion.
Think that's being a little harsh. I think the lad has been unlucky with injury this season and with hindsight maybe a run in the under 23s scoring a few goals, would have done his confidence the world of good. Maybe a loan back to Sheffield Utd or some other championship club (like Chelsea have done with Abraham) would be even more beneficial to the lads development next season.

He's not really being played as an orthodox winger though Joey, he plainly has licence to come inside and support Rom, and Koeman is hardly going to stick Rom out wide and play Calvert-Lewin through the middle, so what would you suggest ?

Yeah..he's a wide forward in a front three with license to come inside. Hell at one point Valencia and DCL were on the same side.

I'd "dislike" that comment, but I think you're enjoying being top of the Disliked Members board so I'll just stick my tongue out at you instead.

:p

Say what you mean mate, don't hold back.
Geordites would be a good term for such people though.

Of course they can mate, and equally I can despair of people who aren't able to see the situation whereby a young player is being given game time so he gets some useful experience. We're not exactly brimful of alternative players to throw in upfront, so I think what Koeman's doing makes a lot of sense.

He should be getting that experience on loan. Not at Anfield, Old Trafford or against Chelsea, where he is out of his depth and not really helping the team. He's had enough minutes for the first team for me. Loan him out for whole of next season IMO.

That would be the bigger help to his development.

Still not changed my mind on him needing a spell out on loan in the championship.

You can see there is something there, good pace, good touch, works for the team but doesn't look skillful or effective enough to be a winger and certainly doesn't look ready to be starting games at this level, would like to see him loaned out and played more centrally then see how he does from that sort of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back