Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't make the game today but everyone I've spoke too has reiterated the opinion I've had of him when I have watched him. That he offers absolutely nothing and looks way out of his depth in the Premier League.

Think it would be best for all parties if he was sent back to the lower leagues in the summer.

He should be getting that experience on loan. Not at Anfield, Old Trafford or against Chelsea, where he is out of his depth and not really helping the team. He's had enough minutes for the first team for me. Loan him out for whole of next season IMO.

That would be the bigger help to his development.

If we had a squad full of forwards who could walk into the first team, then I'd agree with you. But we don't, so he's getting game time. I don't think he looked out of his depth today though, but would agree that was the case ( along with the rest of the team by the way ) at Anfield.

I wouldn't judge him on the ten minutes or so he was on the pitch at Old Trafford though.

He's not strong nor particularly quick. But isn't he meant to be a more central striker? I've not been impressed with him but I'd still give him next season to see what he can do, especially with Europe

He's not really being played as an orthodox winger though Joey, he plainly has licence to come inside and support Rom, and Koeman is hardly going to stick Rom out wide and play Calvert-Lewin through the middle, so what would you suggest ?
The lad even filled in for Baines today at times today it's reasons why we sent players out on loan with a thin squad !

The lad even filled in for Baines today at times today it's reasons why we sent players out on loan with a thin squad !

He was playing wide left, covering for Baines would have been part of his remit mate.
I don't understand the
it's reasons why we sent players out on loan with a thin squad
bit at all though.

Anyway, as I asked previously, given our lack of options up front, what would you suggest we do ? We could have signed Calvert-Lewin and immediately sent him out on loan, or, do as we have, and thrown him in at the deep end. I'm watching him during the game, and his head isn't dropping, so I don't think we're doing him any harm, plus, we've been nailed on for seventh for ages so, literally, have nothing to lose by playing the likes of him.

I know everyone would like us to be able to play four of five youngsters who all slot into the first team perfectly straight away, and all end up being great players, but they're not all going to be like Tom Davies and fit in straight away, some will take longer, and might never fully make the step up, but if you don't play 'em, you'll never know.

He was playing wide left, covering for Baines would have been part of his remit mate.
I don't understand the bit at all though.

Anyway, as I asked previously, given our lack of options up front, what would you suggest we do ? We could have signed Calvert-Lewin and immediately sent him out on loan, or, do as we have, and thrown him in at the deep end. I'm watching him during the game, and his head isn't dropping, so I don't think we're doing him any harm, plus, we've been nailed on for seventh for ages so, literally, have nothing to lose by playing the likes of him.

I know everyone would like us to be able to play four of five youngsters who all slot into the first team perfectly straight away, and all end up being great players, but they're not all going to be like Tom Davies and fit in straight away, some will take longer, and might never fully make the step up, but if you don't play 'em, you'll never know.

Nothing against playing younger players, I would have given Lookman more game time. Even Dowell.

At least by playing him Koeman can see what parts off his game need worked on. It's not like any of the other options have been brilliant. Mirallas has had his chance and flattered to deceive. Kone is gone in the summer, Valencia not worth the price so I doubt we'll buy. Hopefully they'll find him somewhere to learn his trade next season and he'll come back a more rounded player with the clear shortfalls sorted. Some players take straight to 1st team football, this lad needs some extra support.

Credit to RK for developing youth but I've not seen anything in DCL to suggest he'll ever be Prem level. His goal return as a forward for an u23 team that won the league is poor.
It's a little baffling why Del was dismissed so quickly but DCL is getting so many chances. If DCL does eventually make it he'll owe a huge debt of gratitude to RK.

He is not a wide player but the manager sees something in him. Kev better option today. Must be doing nought in training!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back