Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the lad sis taking some undue criticism. Overall this is partly why younger players don't get as many opportunities.

I felt he contributed well first half, covered a fair bit of ground and could have very easily scored. He was given a job to do that I am not sure Mirallas or Lookman could have managed (to try and mark Moses). It's all valuable learning time for him.

Talent needs to be shown in some matter if form if getting oppertunities and the amount of game time he is getting. Ive seen very little. If you look at tom davis you will know he is going to make it as a premier league player. He offers something to the everton team. Dcl may offer potential of some form but i just cant see it.

What is his position? Certainly huffed and puffed , hit the post early on , but I haven't seen anything that shows he can offer us something special.
There's lots of talk that he's a striker so perhaps we haven't seen his strongest position yet, but then I'm baffled why he's constantly out wide.

I've said it before, I'm not writing the lad off and I sincerely hope he flourishes although up to now I've yet to any real signs or sparks.

Overall you can see with him, that his best work will be in and around the penalty area. He is good in the air and looks a decent finisher. Almost a classic target man, but with an ability to play off the front and work hard.

In many ways the comparisons with Lookman are unfair. Cookman has ore magic and wow factor to him but would only ever be a poacher. Calvert Lewin at present probably covers ground a bit better and in a game with defensive responsibilities that was needed.

Against Watford and even Swansea away next week I'd strongly consider giving Lookman a go over DCL. However as with all young players it's important to look at what they can do as much as what they can't, with the assumption they will improve their weaker areas as time goes by.

I thought Calvert-Lewin had a really good first half. He won good possession, distributed it well and gave great protection to Baines . He also nearly scored as well as having a couple of not so good efforts.
In the second half he was forced to defend even more and did so quite well until he tired and was taken off.

It is clear why Calvert-Lewin is played ahead of Mirallas, his willingness to defend and help the team gets him the nod ahead of Mirallas who has at this stage become a squad player under RK.

I do believe that in time Calvert-Lewin will be a very good player in his proper position at centreforward and will have learned a lot from the games he has played this season.

I perfer lookman over this lad
This is totally fair. I just think people are writing off the lad to quickly, but I can see how some might favor Lookman. One thing about DCL that impresses me is his ability to take the ball down from the air. Maybe they are using him as an outlet in that sense as Rom hasn't been the best at competing with CB's in the air.

I thought Calvert-Lewin had a really good first half. He won good possession, distributed it well and gave great protection to Baines . He also nearly scored as well as having a couple of not so good efforts.
In the second half he was forced to defend even more and did so quite well until he tired and was taken off.

It is clear why Calvert-Lewin is played ahead of Mirallas, his willingness to defend and help the team gets him the nod ahead of Mirallas who has at this stage become a squad player under RK.

I do believe that in time Calvert-Lewin will be a very good player in his proper position at centreforward and will have learned a lot from the games he has played this season.
He really impressed me in the first. He seemed like he was going to have a big impact on the game, but the 2nd half wore on and he kind of faded and was subbed. Lookman has always does the same exact thing though. Young players have trouble keeping themselves involved in the game apart from Davies.

Put it this way, with Lookman playing you think something could happen. DCL just underwhelms... It's just meh

Maybe playing out on the wing is the problem, and he's a young lad, but I feel he's too passive. Look at Davies. Whilst playing in midfield undoubtedly helps he'a legging it round like a maniac trying things. Lookman, although he hasn't set the world alight, can go on either foot and looks to make things happen with his dribbling.

Calvert-Lewin waits for the game to come to him. I'd like to see him running in behind and interchanging with his fellow attacking players a bit more. I'm sure that'll come with time, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back