Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do folks feel the need to rush to judgement on a 20 year old player?

That's the main thing he's got going for him at the moment, the fact he's young. As someone mentioned yesterday, Harry Kane looked poor at this age so here's hoping...

I suppose Koeman persists with him because he's an honest, hard worker who provides a bit of height and strength to the side. Overall though no one can really make a case for saying he belongs at a team in the top 7 of the league. I'm not convinced he even belongs in the Premier League right now. Some loan time might do him good.

He's not at a level of a team in the premier league nevermind one that is trying to break into the top four. That's not a slight on him as he's a young guy without flair and pace being played in a position where it's needed. Seems an intelligent and confident fella though. Needs some loan time next season to work on his profile.

Why do folks feel the need to rush to judgement on a 20 year old player?

He's just not showing anything in the games he's played in so far that has anyone even remotely hopeful he's going to develop into a good player.

Yes he's young and yes he's been played out of position a fair bit. But when we're a club that wants to win things and crack the top 4 in the near future we can't be persisting with mediocre-looking youngsters. You've got to show you've got a bit of something otherwise it's out the door you go to a lower team who will have a use for you.

He's just not showing anything in the games he's played in so far that has anyone even remotely hopeful he's going to develop into a good player.

Yes he's young and yes he's been played out of position a fair bit. But when we're a club that wants to win things and crack the top 4 in the near future we can't be persisting with mediocre-looking youngsters. You've got to show you've got a bit of something otherwise it's out the door you go to a lower team who will have a use for you.

This is the crux of the matter. If he's still getting regular game time next year with these type of performances then it's difficult to create an argument for us being any higher than we are now.

That's the main thing he's got going for him at the moment, the fact he's young. As someone mentioned yesterday, Harry Kane looked poor at this age so here's hoping...

I suppose Koeman persists with him because he's an honest, hard worker who provides a bit of height and strength to the side. Overall though no one can really make a case for saying he belongs at a team in the top 7 of the league. I'm not convinced he even belongs in the Premier League right now. Some loan time might do him good.

Kane at the age of 20 looked miles ahead of Calvert Lewin, and at the age of 21 had scored 21 league goals in a season.

Neither of these addressed my question. In fact, they are further proof that some people are compelled to rush to judgement on players...especially young/new players.

Kane at the age of 20 looked miles ahead of Calvert Lewin, and at the age of 21 had scored 21 league goals in a season.

I just remember watching Kane at that U18 World Cup when Barkley was playing and thinking he was the worst player in the world. Clutching at straws to try and cut young Lewin some slack.

Neither of these addressed my question. In fact, they are further proof that some people are compelled to rush to judgement on players...especially young/new players.

We're football fans on a forum, might as well shut the place down if we can't spout our nonsense opinions ;)

In all seriousness though, he's played quite a bit of football now and he hasn't shown us much. It's simply inevitable that questions about why he's continually picked are asked.

We're football fans on a forum, might as well shut the place down if we can't spout our nonsense opinions ;)

In all seriousness though, he's played quite a bit of football now and he hasn't shown us much. It's simply inevitable that questions about why he's continually picked are asked.

He's had 10 senior games...two of which he played more that an hour....7 of which were under 20 minute cameos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back