Dynamo Kyiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
QUOTE="Khalekan, post: 3401998, member: 7226"]I recall we had an away European game in Ireland circa 1978.

Against a team called Finn Harps from County Donegal.

A busload of us went over to Belfast on the ferry and proceeded to make our way north.

In those days the Irish Troubles were in full swing and the coach was stopped at an army roadblock and these Jock soldiers came on.

There was a bit of bantz when they let it be known they were Rangers fans......until someone started singing "to hell with Liverpool and.....etc..." and everyone joined in.

Then the chant "Celtic, Celtic, Celtic" went up and it all kicked off.

There was murder on the bus and it spilled out on to the road.......all these Jock soldiers and Evertonians.

The locals at the roadblock were looking on in amazement.

I wouldn't mind but the soldiers all had rifles and were waving them around yelling "yiz feckin' English Fenian c**ts yiz"

lol

Looking back now, nearly forty years on, it was a hilarious scene but for a few moments on that road in Northern Ireland I thought we were all going to be shot.

The officers came on the scene and got their men under control and we went on our way :confused:

But the point I an making is that you need to just be careful when going into war zones or politically volatile situations.

Any little incident can lead to a much greater confrontation.[/QUOTE]
According to the foreign office kiev is as safe or dangerous as any other big European city

Why the drama about it all ?? a bit of crowd trouble, so what.

Its not like its fine coming to Goodison for some fans.
Drama? Have you seen the gang of cut-throat neo-nazis who support that lot? They are paramilitaries. There should be no truck with that lot. UEFA need their heads testing if they agree to let them hold this fixture as normal.

The foreign office say don't travel to crimea, to compare crimea to kiev is like comparing dubai to Yemen

The comparison was already implied by the statement. How can somewhere be "as safe as any big city in Europe"? Thats a huge span of places. It's an ambigious and vague statement that doesn't seem to provide a rational verdict on the safety of Kiev.

Think there is a bit of perspective needed on both sides of the argument. People are calling Keiv a warzone etc which is not exactly the case, but then comparing English crowd unrest these days to what happened last week is also a bit ridiculous as well. I've been watching since the mid 90's and have never seen home fans fighting past stewards to get to the away fans and them being asked to leave the stadium. Or our fans kicking eachother whilst someone is on the ground at the side of the pitch!

I think UEFA will do their usual and do very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back