Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m quite interested in all of the Everton/Liverpool catholic/proteststant stuff. We have an Orangeman in work, proper mental Scottish fella. When he came down to work, he started following us he said that we were the Protestant Club, and they were the Catholics. I wasnt aware that there were any religious leaning from either club. We were founded by St Domingos Methodist Church after all. I love to prove this fella wrong no matter what the subject! So I decide to do some research and could find no defininitve proof either way. Loads of contradictairy opinions but nothing historically definitive. Could you please provide some links. Are we Catholic or Protestant? I’d love you to provide some facts so I can hit this fella with it!!!!

We are a football club. The stuff @davek refers to about the neighbours was from quite a few years back, and was indicitive of their owners, not their supporters.

Ergo, there is not any religious divide/affiliation at all. Hence the phrase, "The Derby that splits families as well as a City"

We are a football club. The stuff @davek refers to about the neighbours was from quite a few years back, and was indicitive of their owners, not their supporters.

Ergo, there is not any religious divide/affiliation at all. Hence the phrase, "The Derby that splits families as well as a City"
Neither would we want a religious divide it is bad enough up here with the old firm.

A blue is a blue regardless to me.

I’m quite interested in all of the Everton/Liverpool catholic/proteststant stuff. We have an Orangeman in work, proper mental Scottish fella. When he came down to work, he started following us he said that we were the Protestant Club, and they were the Catholics. I wasnt aware that there were any religious leaning from either club. We were founded by St Domingos Methodist Church after all. I love to prove this fella wrong no matter what the subject! So I decide to do some research and could find no defininitve proof either way. Loads of contradictairy opinions but nothing historically definitive. Could you please provide some links. Are we Catholic or Protestant? I’d love you to provide some facts so I can hit this fella with it!!!!
My Mum told me that her best friend's uncle was the first Catholic to play for Everton. His name was Alex Wall and he played in the early 1920s. I have zero proof of this fact. My Dad who was a season ticket holder in the 1950s and 60s told me that because of the strong Irish connection we had at that time, the main stand was usually full of priests watching their Irish, and presumably Catholic, compatriots.

My Mum told me that her best friend's uncle was the first Catholic to play for Everton. His name was Alex Wall and he played in the early 1920s. I have zero proof of this fact. My Dad who was a season ticket holder in the 1950s and 60s told me that because of the strong Irish connection we had at that time, the main stand was usually full of priests watching their Irish, and presumably Catholic, compatriots.
Certainly was, like a row of penguins. don't see it now, how times change..

Our young local priest used to sit in the lower main stand without his dog collar as he wanted those round about him to be able to freely express themselves, fair enough I thought, though I do wonder if it was so he could freely 'express' himself.

Anyone see the Shankly documentary on BBC last night? Comedy gold.

Kopites travelling up to Glenbuck in Scotland to say a few words over a memorial to him....Pete Hooton (professional Kopite) was there to lead the 'inspirational' speeches. Toe curling stuff.

There's something wrong with people who deify a football manager. They really do underline the swivell-eyed loon tendency they have when Shankly is spoken of.

One saving grace from it was the acceptance by their old guard that they were a nothing club before the mid-60s - happy to be in Division Two - who spent 80 years in Everton's shadow. You can see how much it hurt them. They can talk about what happened subsequently all they want (apart from the 80s glory period for us under HK when we knocked them off their perch before SAF did) but the gap between us and them will never ever be as great as that which existed in our favour prior to the 70s.

Christ it was disturbing, they had the memorial then played Amazing Grace as they stood around and replaced all the words to it with "shankley, shankley, shankley, shankley....." cultishly over and over and over again. I was half expecting Louis Theroux to pop out from behind Pete Hootons back and stare at the camera with his "these are madmen" facial expression....

9lFz.gif

Before their CL campaign took off early spring last season, many/most Liverpool supporters were very unhappy with Klopp. He's done nothing since to dispel that, imo. A CL run that ended in a globally-watched humiliation when they faced the first decent team they met.

If Klopp has a trophy-free season he will be gone. The Kopite's are like the Tory Party: they give 100% adulation to their leaders until they have a wobble, then they send the "men in grey suits" in to slit their throats.

It's the toxic mix of servility, racism and entitlement that links Tories to Kopites. It's a very natural mix too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back