Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave always maintained you’d never beat a European heavyweight if you met one in the knockout stage. That prediction was correct.
He said earlier in this thread that Liverpool would have won if it hadn't been for the fans piling the pressure on. Didn't you read that bit?

...and how does that contradict what I said?
You said earlier that Liverpool would have won had it not been for their fans piling on the pressure. When I pointed out that you'd said Madrid would win all along, you said you never said that. You're contradicting yourself so much, it's getting tricky to keep up!

Not sure that's quite right as Chelsea were back in contention for the title once they won.

Madrid were favourites for the final, despite what SOME fans and media thought.

To label that Liverpool team as "a bit of kick & rush football" is just you being a WUM or you don't really understand football.

It’s as much an overexaggwration as the Liverpool media and some fans who were labelling it the best attacking football in Europe. This was not 09-11 Barcelona scything teams open with unbelievable one touch football from some of the best attacking players of all time. This was a midfield who worked tirelessly to rush the opposition into mistakes hoping they could then get the ball quickly to three very quick front players. It was very effective particularly at Anfield against teams that played straight into your hands but your record away from Anfield to top sides showed it could be dealt with fairly normally.

Despite this the talk before the final was how it could be 3 or 4 before half time, Madrid were old and couldn’t live with your pace etc. Madrid will never have experienced pressing like this. You can say most fans didn’t think this if you want but the media and social media image you gave out (and thus what would have been picked up by the players) is that you did believe this.

So, Dav
Were Liverpool a better side than Madrid, but buckled under the pressure, or were Madrid the better side?

Make your mind up which way you want it.
That's a complete contradiction from absolutely everything you said in the pre-match about Madrid being head & shoulders above Liverpool, "first good team they've played", etc. Were Liverpool a better side than Madrid, but buckled under the pressure, or were Madrid the better side?

Make your mind up which way you want it.
davek - those are the 2 things you've said. Which one is correct?

Not sure Liverpool were defensively sound enough to do that,conceding 50 goals that season, the most out of the top 5. Liverpool were all about outscoring the opposition that season, hence scorelines like 5-3 & 6-3 during the term.

So it was arrogance that lost the title. Playing like that will only get you so far, if you want to win the league then you have to be good enough to be able to stop a team like Palace coming back from 3 down, even at their own place. You have to wise enough to know that the situation demanded a small change in mentality.

Gerrard should have been key in not letting it slip (I am not sorry for throwing that one in). If he had any brains the message should have been 'We have won the title' not the arrogance of scoring even more just because of vanity.

You should, in theory, be fuming at the way they blew the chance to win the league. I know I would be if Everton were ever in that position, I certainly would not be defending stupidity.

So it was arrogance that lost the title. Playing like that will only get you so far, if you want to win the league then you have to be good enough to be able to stop a team like Palace coming back from 3 down, even at their own place. You have to wise enough to know that the situation demanded a small change in mentality.

Gerrard should have been key in not letting it slip (I am not sorry for throwing that one in). If he had any brains the message should have been 'We have won the title' not the arrogance of scoring even more just because of vanity.

You should, in theory, be fuming at the way they blew the chance to win the league. I know I would be if Everton were ever in that position, I certainly would not be defending stupidity.
Not really no. It was attempting to continue doing what they'd done all season.

Before the Palace match, Liverpool & City were level on points, but City had a superior goal difference of 7 or 8 (from memory). Once they were 3 up, they decided to go after the goal difference and go picked off and it all went t**s up!

Just beating Palace wouldn't have been enough as City were always likely to win their last 2 matches (which they did).
And I look forward to you slating Everton should they ever narrowly lose out on the title.

Already did.

1985/86 season. 8 points clear with 12 games to go. Blew it. 0-0 at Oxford with 10 minutes to go - Lineker clean through on goal and misses. Oxford score late winner. Look it up if you don't know the details already. I suspect you do...

Didnt we contrive to lose twice to Carlisle in a season, which knackered us in the late 70's? Or have I made that up?

Already did.

1985/86 season. 8 points clear with 12 games to go. Blew it. 0-0 at Oxford with 10 minutes to go - Lineker clean through on goal and misses. Oxford score late winner. Look it up if you don't know the details already. I suspect you do...

Oh sadly , I remember that night oh so well .

Already did.

Been a fan since mid-70's, but I can honestly say I don't remember that. Don't doubt it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back