• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

Sadio Mane - "When the best goalkeeper in the world makes one or two mistakes, I think, for sure, that is strange. But it's not just him, it's the whole team.'

Even their players have to believe that they have the best player in the world in every position.
This is exactly what's so corrosive for them this season: they were getting in place (with the aid of the media) some BS myth about a team chocca with world class players and taking the mantle alongside the greatest club teams of all time with Cruyff's Ajax; Sacchi's Milan; the Barcelona Dream team, the Galacticos. Utter bunkum that's been blow to peices.

Now everyone sees them for what they are: a burnt out flash in the pan.

I actually think he leaves before he's sacked. I'll say a lot of things about Klopp, but I'm not sure hes the most money obsessed fella out there. I think he also understands, waiting to be sacked and the rep completely gets trashed is never the most sensible ploy. I just don't see a world where he openy volunteers information about him resigning and mentions "for a break" if thats not somewhere in the thinking.

As you've said a lot, he's not really a long term domination guy. A liverpool fan Rory Smith wrote a good peice in the NYT this week and essentially said that. He has plan A, eventually the players get burned out and tired from plan A so then they do plan A worse, and tumble down the league. There's no phased planning, and he needs young, fit footballers to come in, which are generally very pricey.

I don't think any of them are grasping they have probably got 18-24 months of probably treading water- trying to avoid further decline, before trying to claw back a 30+ point deficit to the top of the league, which tends to take them 4-6 years. He's not hanging around for that. This also assumes the tap stays switched on, and a Hodgson style collapse doesn't happen (which essentially set them back to being 10 years off the title).

The stars are really aligning for Gerrard, he will have won his 1st trophy (at the 9th attempt in a 2 horse race) but you can see a big push for him coming soon in the Echo/BBC old posh boy Pearce in the Athletic. In truth, it would be an awful fit currently. His experience is less than Lampards, and Lampard took Chelsea backwards with huge recruitment and a world class youth set up. They have a bog average youth set up and at best very little to spend.

His "achievement" at Rangers (essentially being out thought bey Neil Lennon on 5 out of 6 occasions) is predicated on having one of the oldest and expeirenced squads in the league, and calling in the odd favour from PL academies (specifically Liverpool) or lads like Defoe. I'm not trying to be hard on the fella, but those skills wont be whats needed at Liverpool, certainly under FSG. In a strange way, he'd have probably been better doing it the internal route, learning under Klopp, managing the reserves then the 1st team. He'd have at least got used to the structures.

I think he would be an awful fit, and I'd imagine a lot of the players who've won titles and joined after he left would grow tired of the old "Im Stevie G" chat he'd be giving every 2 minutes.

My sense is, they will go Ljinders. He probably has the best chance if Klopp vacates position before the back end of the season. Loads of their know it all guys arelike "just got to get to the summer". Reminds me of that final Rodgers season when they were on the beach. The things is, there's 3 months to go. Thats a long wait to be treading water.
Gerrard's decent record in Europe is the only thing that would recommend him to FSG. They'd be mad to employ him, for reasons we've spoken of before. But he might be a port in a storm if Klopp quit unexpectedly and they were getting blowback from a murderous fan base seeking blood.

I thought that scenario was remote a few weeks ago; now it's at least a runner.

...I know it’s unpopular, but I think Henderson is very underrated and a terrific leader. I watched games at Goodison where he hardly broke sweat dealing with the likes of Ross Barkley, he’s a big player for them.
I agree with you there @Eggs , he is a good player, not world class, but, as you say very important to the team.

AFTV estimated get £1.2m a year from adverts.
Troopz net worth in excess of £1m.

WTF is that all about ?

No wonder they are popping up everywhere now.
I don't see anything wrong here. Troopz represents the typical working class lad in London and he has the platform to share his views on his team performances, and he gets an audience. Fair play. Capitalism in pure action here.

Not for me

I've never thought Henderson was that good

The midfield has always been the weakest part of their squad

He's not a bad player by any means, but captain of one of the best Premier League sides? He's not in that bracket

He's extroadinarily lucky that he got to play in that team. He's a less interesting Nicky Butt
The midfield might not be the most glamourous part of their squad, but they performed a ball winning duty and turning over possession to the front players with a lot of efficiency. Won't make your football loving soul leap from with joy, but it was effective.

...I know it’s unpopular, but I think Henderson is very underrated and a terrific leader. I watched games at Goodison where he hardly broke sweat dealing with the likes of Ross Barkley, he’s a big player for them.

Yep dont think he's a great technical player or not one you notice, but for them he's absolutely massive. He's the one covering when TAA or Robertson go missing, he's the one who is first to press and keeps stuff ticking over. Also the most vocal and organises them

Massive for them, basically nearly the whole season. He may be back for the final game in the fight for 10th

"Ref's performance summed up in the last 30 seconds. Allowing an Everton free kick for offside to be taken 4 yards inside our half.

We didn't deserve anything, but we didn't deserve to lose either. We're cack but Everton are atrocious."
"56 Mo is brought down on the edge of the box by Digne, arm clearly around him, but no FK."
"80 Penalty Everton. Ref says that Trent tugged down Calvert Lewin. It’s a joke decision, hasn’t touched him"

"Go back to the Salah incident when there was a clear hand on him, then this get's given. The ref's judge our games totally different to everyone else's."
"81 2-0. It’s cheating essentially. VAR told the ref to go and look, he went and didn’t even look at the evidence. How much longer Jurgen is willing to accept these farcical decisions is beyond me. It’s an absolute embarrassment for officiating in this country. We’ve had some awful decisions go against us this season, but that might be the absolute worst. It’s a scandal.
88 Sadio down but nothing given. Not enough contact for a penalty, but it doesn’t seem to matter anymore.
FT 0-2. Two things we already knew have played out today; 1. Something isn’t right in our squad at the moment. 2. Crooked officiating against us isn’t being hidden, it’s in fact being encouraged."

Some crackers by those deluded clowns on rawk.
I know. Theyve got some persecution complex now. Anyone would think nearly everyone detested them or summat..an tha '...

I don't see anything wrong here. Troopz represents the typical working class lad in London and he has the platform to share his views on his team performances, and he gets an audience. Fair play. Capitalism in pure action here.
Didn’t say there was anything wrong mate.

I was just amazed by the numbers.
If that Red kid in his bedroom is trousering serious wonga and setting himself up for life by acting a tit for a couple of seasons, fair play to him as well.

I see RAWK is back. Do they think we have spent more than them ??

Its a bit over-blown our so called spending, its all from that Walsh mess.

Leeds spent £100 millin in the summer....nobody bats an eyelid.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back