• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

This story was on the BBC Red Button service,after the final whistle of the game if by magic it disappeared.?

I don't think anyone is denying there were fake tickets.

People are just saying that the claim that 30,000-40,000 turned up with fake tickets or without them is absolutely ridiculous.

Yet that's what the French interior minister claimed.

I'm not from Liverpool. I can't stand the club, and most of the fanbase, it's like a cult, but ultimately I've seen images of those days when Everton were successful, like @MikelsGoat shared earlier. I've heard stories from my dad in the 80s when he used to go to every away game, and there'd be fans getting in on the terraces without tickets. I've seen what happened in Lille, when I don't think our fans were to blame one bit, at the hand of the same or very similar police tactics...

So no, I'm not 'waving my red pom poms'. I don't like them. But I'll call out twisted tribalism when I see it too. Liverpool, unfortunately - for many different reasons - provide big stories and with that comes media clout. We can hate it, but it is what it is. Doesn't mean that they're all angels - and there definitely isn't enough room to call some of their behaviour out because of what happened at Hillsborough - but also doesn't mean that every journalist reporting what happened is obsessed with Liverpool. It's more likely that actually, they were just caught in the crossfire and provided their account of it.
I would hazard that 80-90% of the journalists there to report on that game, on duty or off, were r/s supporters and the 'sympathetic' narrative was adhered to.
You've been rational in your posting and took some unwarranted stick, but you have to accept there's a huge bias in promoting their 'side of the story'?
This narrative begins with chinese whispers and becomes official quite quickly on the ground. The fact this is being run through national agencies and government is telling. You've mentioned Lille, and I can't remember any 'intervention' by any agencies on our behalf, or Chelsea or Spurs, who've had similar incidents.
I don't deny for one minute that the police behaved appalingly and unnecessarily, most probably to the more innocent and less aggressive supporters there, but as is patently clear there were many incidents that are major contributing factors, not excuses, that are not being reported this side of the water. The question really is 'why'?

You got ahead of me there. Well caught up.
Hahaha. It's all good. Slippy just slipped up again! At least there won't be a quad.

Still worried as the brains trust of Owen, Aldo, Carragher and Lawro can't see past a rs win against Real. Looks like they'll have a Champions (League) parade after all. Probably on bank holiday weekend so they can remember the sombre events of Heysel the day after.

I don't think too many caused trouble.

There was issues in the Madrid end too - these have been reported. The police also weren't present at FT when needed to stop people getting robbed and mugged. Both Madrid fans and Liverpool fans have said this.

I think some caused trouble, some of those being Liverpool fans by having fake tickets - but not 40k worth.
It's about doing a little bit of homework,I lived in Paris for a couple of years and now in Spain. French and Spanish police don't take the crap the English police have to. The Madrid support will know this,the rs think they can act as they do at the pit.

View attachment 168323
View attachment 168322
African gangs indiscriminately assaulting, stabbing and stealing from fans, an eye opening sample of diversity that Paris is famous for.

Two years after the death of George Floyd they still have the BLM logo displayed which makes you know it must've been really bad.
I have no doubt that local gangs caused trouble .I’ve seen some of it on the tele .But any actual evidence on all these slashings ?

I said not a lot wrong.

CajwE6JWIAAiEHI.jpg

Heres a picture of Everton fans bunking into Wembley.
Remember standing watching three or four of those lads get in that way! Every time one got in through that window a massive cheer went up!

But the French police tear gassing people is normal behaviour apparently.

So don't go causing trouble at an event with French police there otherwise you shouldn't be surprised when you get tear gassed. I'm not arguing the rights ot wrongs of it but what did they expect?
Unfortunately this seems to be the case especially in the big cities.
Look back to my posts from last week, I warned that folk had better behave or they'd get gassed.
Now they've got to believe me.

The phone in after 9am this morning on Radio Merseyside should be interesting .

A Professor of Sociology of football and football fan culture has had the absolute temerity to aportion some blame to the RS fans who knowingly went to the match with fake or no tickets ........ the phone in after 9am should be fun !!!
We all know kopites can't take criticism

I don't think too many caused trouble.

There was issues in the Madrid end too - these have been reported. The police also weren't present at FT when needed to stop people getting robbed and mugged. Both Madrid fans and Liverpool fans have said this.

I think some caused trouble, some of those being Liverpool fans by having fake tickets - but not 40k worth.
2700 never got in with genuine tickets. There were people on the stairwells.

A minimum of 3,000 caused trouble. That's nearly one sixth of the official allocation. Even if half were locals you are looking at a minimum of 1500 reds.

If that many got in it's a safe bet more than that didn't.

The 40,000 might be an over estimate but that doesn't give a pass to those who bunked in.

Last edited:

But you insisted fans turned up late, which UEFA have now said not to be the case?

So you are believing your government minister's clear lie about up to 40,000 ticketless fans turning up at the stadium? Which all the major outlets in France are questioning?

You are saying there's no responsibility to the police or UEFA or the authorities at all?
You keep repeating 40k ticketless fans . It was 30/40k ATTEMPTS at gaining entry . you are making any argument you have null and void by repeating this

After seeing evidence from over the past day, it looks as though all parties share some of the blame for what happened.

There’s a fair amount of evidence that suggests fake tickets were being used (on what scale we don’t know, but the 40,000 does seem unrealistic).

Seeing the videos of the kids who’d been tear gassed is sad and I haven’t seen enough evidence of misbehaviour to say it was absolutely necessary to use tear gas on the fans.
I don't read the 40k as referring to the number of fake tickets - the French statements include ticketless fans. Before the game I read reports of 60k Liverpool supporters having travelled, but their allocation was 20k, so someone has simply done the maths to arrive at the overall numbers who shouldn't have been there.

All this “I didn’t see a fake ticket” garbage on Sky is making me laugh.

The idea of a fake ticket is that it’s indistinguishable from a real ticket you absolute clowns.
I imagine that the only ticket most people saw was there own.

If you had a real ticket you would be a fool to wave it around. If you had a fake ticket the same.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back