• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

I remember, back in the Suarez days, having a fairly normal conversation with a kopite and I mentioned their style of play. Basically, saying that it was a very simple but effective way of playing. I got the full barrage of bitter comments. I certainly did not mean it as a negative and still don't. As you said, it was an accurate description. What I will say is that I did actually watch them a bit, as I did watch a lot more football and even if they were on, it was still football. If they do indeed play exactly the same way nowadays, then I am of the same opinion, which is fair play, if they play to their strengths then it could easily be deemed as 'good' football, in the simple but effective definition.

There are many ways to play this game and I have never been into the arrogance of fans talking about the 'right' way to play the game. It has always been win first, for me. If Everton win playing scrappy long ball stuff then I am happy, if we lose playing 'beautiful' football then I am unhappy, it really is as simple as that.
It's the deceit that gets me. The co-ordinated attempt to package what they do as something it very much isn't: football that involves complex combination.

A pundit like Redknapp will ALWAYS and in a patronising and negative way describe what football Everton play (as if it's all been one style since he played us like) as 'up and at 'em' football, but cant call what's in front of him at Liverpool as peak 'up and at 'em' football. We play more through midfield than they have in the last few years, that's for sure.

I've not heard of any, id be curious to know what they were actually singing
Just seen a 15 second vid on Twitter recorded from the home end. Looks like it was taken either pre-game or half-time. You can vaguely hear a very small handful of City fans singing what sounds like “the S*n was right, you’re murderers”.

To me that seems more of a reference to Heysel.

Just seen a 15 second vid on Twitter recorded from the home end. Looks like it was taken either pre-game or half-time. You can vaguely hear a very small handful of City fans singing what sounds like “the S*n was right, you’re murderers”.

As time goes on songs like that will be the norm, just like Munich 58 banners all over Anfield, im sure it wasnt until the 70s they came out.

Not like Liverpool FC to use the tragedy of Hillsborough for their own media spin.

Horrible horrible club and if there were any justice every set of fans in the league would sing murderers at them every week for Heysel.
It's basic (and base) politics: trying to deflect from their own fans acting like killers in their own stadium trying to slice the heads of the City coaching team by putting a big lie out there.

They are a toxic criminal organisation that should have been ended when they ensured 39 people wouldn't be going back home to their loved ones after a football game back in 1985.

It's the deceit that gets me. The co-ordinated attempt to package what they do as something it very much isn't: football that involves complex combination.

A pundit like Redknapp will ALWAYS and in a patronising and negative way describe what football Everton play (as if it's all been one style since he played us like) as 'up and at 'em' football, but cant call what's in front of him at Liverpool as peak 'up and at 'em' football. We play more through midfield than they have in the last few years, that's for sure.

Yep, spot on.

I think that is also indicative of all the modern 'stats' that come out as well. Trying to overcomplicate a very simple tactic (game). Trying to overcomplicate everything to make it sound like they have this superior football intelligence.

They have to feel special; they have to feel like they are the only ones that have ever thought about playing a ball over the midfield into the channels for a pacey player to run onto and that this indeed is the cleverest thing that any football team has ever done. I am not saying it won't take time on the training pitch to perfect, to the point you are the best at doing it, but it is a simple tactic that a thousand teams have employed over history.

On a sort of related note, it is like all this comparison business and always seems to involve them lot. Arsenal Vs Liverpool, let us have an article to compare Wenger & Klopp, didn't read the article but I assume Klopp won this battle. We are not playing well, let us have a comparison of Jesus (also saw Rashford thrown in on one of them as well) and Nunez to make it out that Nunez is actually so much better than these players.

The steau flag at the derby was a clear heysel reference yet swept under the carpet...a bit like the racist altercation last week.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back