• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC" part 3

Scouse Manc rivalry aside i think older Evertonions and City fans have similar traits and a mutual respect for each other as we have always been dubbed the 'second club' in the city. We have a similar dark northern self depreciating sense of humour too. I've always liked Everton, i used to like Liverpool too when they were top dogs back in the day because they denied united a lot of success. Since they trashed our team bus in a pre planned attack i hold them in disdain now. I despise them more than united and that's saying something!

At our lowest point of being in the old 3rd division we were still selling out (reduced capacity) Maine Road which was about 33500, we mocked ourselves way better than united fans did, we even started the inflatable craze. We took thousands to away games. We got 13000 tickets for Stoke away around Christmas on 88(iirc) with 10000 3 foot bananas in the crowd, such fun and banter.

United fans constantly took the p*ss calling us 'massives' or 'little' Citeh'. They had a '30 odd years' banner hanging from the Stretford end mocking us. They constantly sang songs mocking us, they still do, almost as much as singing about their club which is just plain weird. Was water off a ducks back to most of us blues.

ONe thing i wanted to mention on this forum is cherish your Goodison Park memories and take some photo's whilst you can because you'll miss her fondly, no matter how beautiful your new stadium may be.
Overall City fans are good people. Just wish it had been Liverpool (the city) that had got awarded the Commonwealth Games. We might have got a free stadium and rich owners. I can't begin to imagine what it would have been like to have messed up the RS's last 7/8 years.

Thing is, its no longer true as their squad has gotten older. Its pure refereeing decisions now for the most part, and to a lesser degree squad size in being able to rotate fresh players in from the start, and utilize the 5 subs during the game.

These are the stats from this season (well to Nov 11th at least). Scroll down to the team distance covered. They're 6th from bottom, we're second from top. Team presses? they're 8th, we're second. Granted in sprints they're third, we're 6th, so they do short sprints rather than being a pressure and distance team. Look at average age of the starting 11 though, even after 180M of a new midfield and shuffling off the likes of Henderson and Milner during the summer, they're still 8th oldest. They're not going to be able to keep spending at the same rate every summer, so that team is going to continue getting older and probably continuing the distance decline for whoever the new manager is. Whoever the new manager is is probably going to have some success before they allow them spend anything in a summer like Klopp has done too.
I'm not very clever but I'm assuming that you are American.

Thing is, its no longer true as their squad has gotten older. Its pure refereeing decisions now for the most part, and to a lesser degree squad size in being able to rotate fresh players in from the start, and utilize the 5 subs during the game.

These are the stats from this season (well to Nov 11th at least). Scroll down to the team distance covered. They're 6th from bottom, we're second from top. Team presses they're 8th, we're second. Granted in sprints they're third, we're 6th, so they do short sprints rather than being a pressure and distance team. Look at average age of the starting 11 though, even after 180M of a new midfield and shuffling off the likes of Henderson and Milner during the summer, they're still 8th oldest. They're not going to be able to keep spending at the same rate every summer, so that team is going to continue getting older and probably continuing the distance decline for whoever the new manager is. Whoever the new manager is is probably going to have some success before they allow them spend anything in a summer like Klopp has done too.

2nd in distance covered because we're like a dog in a park chasing an imaginary ball he's never gonna catch

Scouse Manc rivalry aside i think older Evertonions and City fans have similar traits and a mutual respect for each other as we have always been dubbed the 'second club' in the city. We have a similar dark northern self depreciating sense of humour too. I've always liked Everton, i used to like Liverpool too when they were top dogs back in the day because they denied united a lot of success. Since they trashed our team bus in a pre planned attack i hold them in disdain now. I despise them more than united and that's saying something!

At our lowest point of being in the old 3rd division we were still selling out (reduced capacity) Maine Road which was about 33500, we mocked ourselves way better than united fans did, we even started the inflatable craze. We took thousands to away games. We got 13000 tickets for Stoke away around Christmas on 88(iirc) with 10000 3 foot bananas in the crowd, such fun and banter.

United fans constantly took the p*ss calling us 'massives' or 'little' Citeh'. They had a '30 odd years' banner hanging from the Stretford end mocking us. They constantly sang songs mocking us, they still do, almost as much as singing about their club which is just plain weird. Was water off a ducks back to most of us blues.

ONe thing i wanted to mention on this forum is cherish your Goodison Park memories and take some photo's whilst you can because you'll miss her fondly, no matter how beautiful your new stadium may be.
I have always had a respect for City, with the way they were still getting massive crowds in the lower divisions.
My best mate is a City fan and he always says the most fun he had was going to away games in the 3rd division.

Hope we smash you this afternoon though šŸ‘

To be honest, I liked them way back. I like the way your fans stood by the team when they went 2 leagues down and still got decent crowds. I liked Peter Barnes as a player when I was a kid. I also like how you now miff off the RS.

I hope you lift the title again, just get beat tomorrow though.
They didn't support them when they came back up. 800 fans they had at Goodison the season Micah Richards scored that last minute equaliser. Massive 30 mile journey.

Ā£400 season tickets now and the Etihad only sells out for the Spice Girls.

Hope they win the league though.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back