• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from us, like!

Take your point though. It does seem he has quiet games against elite teams in the PL. I'd like to know what the stats are in terms of goals per game played against Chelsea/Arsenal/City/United and goals per game against the other 15 PL teams. I'd expect it to be significant in difference.

Just had a look, this season he has scored 4 goals in 9 games against the top 7. He also has 7 assists in them games as well so he doesn't go completely anonymous.

As much as I hate to say it, Suarez is a fantastic player and you're in denial if you can't admit that. I'd love to give him a slap, firmly, with a cricket bat, but he's been the standout player in the league this season, and he missed the first 6 games.
99% of players have quieter games when up against the "big" clubs or better teams, but as adamefc above has said, his record in these games is far from poor.

Does my head in that the RS always seem to have one class player to keep them afloat.

I'm talking about him being a top player though. You would think the way he is talked about this season he is being made out to be one.

I'm not writing off his assists to the games, sure he is still contributing and whatnot.

But i ask, what value is hatricks against Norwich and goals against the bottom half of the league if when the big game actually comes and you are fighting to be the best team in the league/europe your 'star striker' gets snapped in the 90th minute and you dont get that penalty, that opportunity you have worked all game for because the daft sod as flipped over on his head when he went down?

I'm talking about him being a top player though. You would think the way he is talked about this season he is being made out to be one.

I'm not writing off his assists to the games, sure he is still contributing and whatnot.

But i ask, what value is hatricks against Norwich and goals against the bottom half of the league if when the big game actually comes and you are fighting to be the best team in the league/europe your 'star striker' gets snapped in the 90th minute and you dont get that penalty, that opportunity you have worked all game for because the daft sod as flipped over on his head when he went down?

He is a top player though.

His hatricks against Norwich and the likes, and slotting past West Brom, or Fulham or whoever with ease is the exact reason they are currently looking certs for top 4 and we're not.

I would lick a goats bumhole for us to have a player of his quality to kill off teams in the lower half of the table.

Yes, his play acting has cost them, but you can't blame the lack of result solely on him. To beat the bigger teams you need a combined team effort, not just one player destroying them. Even Ronaldo and Messi would struggle against the better clubs if the rest of their side where having an off day / were as crap as the rest of the RS.

Last edited:

His hatricks against Norwich and the likes, and slotting past West Brom, or Fulham or whoever with ease is the exact reason they are currently looking certs for top 4 and we're not.

I would lick a goats bumhole for us to have a player of his quality to kill off teams in the lower half of the table.

Yes, his play acting has cost them, but you can't blame the lack of result solely on him. To beat the bigger teams you need a combined team effort, not just one player destroying them. Even Ronaldo and Messi would struggle against the better clubs if the rest of their side where having an off day were as crap as the rest of the RS.

@MoutsGoat

Just had a look, this season he has scored 4 goals in 9 games against the top 7. He also has 7 assists in them games as well so he doesn't go completely anonymous.

But in the games I asked about (against the traditional elite clubs) he's scored no goals this season.

United home (still suspended)
Arsenal away 0
City away 0
Chelsea away 0
Arsenal home 0

So:

his ratio is zero goals per game (thus far with 3 games to go) against those four clubs
his ratio is 1.3 goals per game (with the ten match suspension taken into consideration) against the remaining 15 other clubs.

He's an excellent finisher, no question. But I can see how the accusation of being a flat track bully might take hold.

Yes, his play acting has cost them, but you can't blame the lack of result solely on him. To beat the bigger teams you need a combined team effort, not just one player destroying them. Even Ronaldo and Messi would struggle against the better clubs if the rest of their side where having an off day / were as crap as the rest of the RS.

But its the big games that matter. Yes they will finish top 4 but if the difference between winning the league this year and not winning it is simply down to his play acting and costing them decisions in the big games then is that not a hinderence? He is that good yet him biting someone last year could well have cost them a champions league place. Forget its just another league game but imagine if that was the game to win the title, or the european cup.

Would you really want a player to fire you there only to cost you the win because of a dive/stupidity/play acting?

But its the big games that matter. Yes they will finish top 4 but if the difference between winning the league this year and not winning it is simply down to his play acting and costing them decisions in the big games then is that not a hinderence? He is that good yet him biting someone last year could well have cost them a champions league place. Forget its just another league game but imagine if that was the game to win the title, or the european cup.

Would you really want a player to fire you there only to cost you the win because of a dive/stupidity/play acting?

But if he wasn't there, then they wouldn't be competing in the first place

But if he wasn't there, then they wouldn't be competing in the first place

If they had sold him and bought someone else then that player could be the one that wins them the big trophies.

Ifs and buts by all means, i am just saying he is not a top player because he is a liability when it really matters. Ronaldo or Messi dont have a good game then they dont have a good game. they never cost their team a result though either and that is the difference.

The same could be said of Rooney this season too, btw. I think he only has one goal against the big clubs this season. I remember similar nonsense being said against Ronaldo during his United days.

Fair point @davek, although I can't imagine his 0 ratio staying the same if he had Silva, Toure, Oscar etc around him rather than Henderson and Sterling.

The role of flat track bully is underrated IMO anyway - it's an almost guarantee of winning the games you should.

I'm bowing out of this thread for now anyway. I'm not gonna sit here any longer and praise the best player of our rivals just coz some can't see how good he is.
Sometimes, some blues are as desperate to disprove the abilities of RS players almost as much as the RS fans try to prove the same players are of world class calibre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back