Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see where Chelsea get the motivation to put 100% in against Liverpool. A) they could use a lot of emotional and physical energy up when they'll need it for the CL SF 2nd leg, B) if they beat Liverpool it'd probably help City more...and Mourinho would hate that because he cant bare Pellegrini.

Liverpool will at least draw with Chelsea. They face their last stiff challenge against Palace. Pulis, despite all the YNWA stuff earlier in the season with Stoke (or maybe because of it) wont be letting Palace's level of effort slip despite safety. They are pretty impressive Palace. They surprised me how much quality and organisation they have.

All that said though, I dont see City winning all theirs anyway. It's Liverpool's title.

I dont see where Chelsea get the motivation to put 100% in against Liverpool. A) they could use a lot of emotional and physical energy up when they'll need it for the CL SF 2nd leg, B) if they beat Liverpool it'd probably help City more...and Mourinho would hate that because he cant bare Pellegrini.

Liverpool will at least draw with Chelsea. They face their last stiff challenge against Palace. Pulis, despite all the YNWA stuff earlier in the season with Stoke (or maybe because of it) wont be letting Palace's level of effort slip despite safety. They are pretty impressive Palace. They surprised me how much quality and organisation they have.

All that said though, I dont see City winning all theirs anyway. It's Liverpool's title.

Mourinho knows a win completely knocks the stuffing out of the hype and puts a lot of pressure on an inexperienced squad and manager. It also put's them in with a chance of winning the title on the last day. He's surprised a lot of teams this season and he could do it again.

It's a long shot but he didn't get to where he is by giving up league titles without a fight. Plus he always wins the league in his first season.

I'd agree that this season it's been lopsided because they havn't had any European footie to deal with, but that's because they were b. awful last season. Even with my blue-tinted specs on I have to admit that they've improved massively this season and, assuming they go on and win it, then they'll have more points than anyone else and will be worthy champions. To a certain extent Citeh and Chelsea are gift-wrapping it for them, which is hugely annoying but that's not the RS's fault.

Next season will be much tougher for them and will be , so you're right in that respect, it'll be a truer test. Hopefully they'll lose their next three games though.
You can only do what you can. I'd accept that. They didnt have to play another 14 games like City and Chelsea so they weren't worried about that and they just got on with winning as many of the 38 league games in front of them.

My point is that you cant leave it there. In order to make a judgment on worthiness/credibility you have to look at what was being asked of the leading three clubs each week. One week to prepare and recover for one match is an enormous advantage over having one week to recover and prepare for two matches.

It's the only way Liverpool have been able to bridge the chasm in quality that was there at the end of last season. They've also undeniably had the rub of the green on decisions at key moments. Those two factors lead us to where we are right now.

I think in their haste to avoid the 'bitter' tag some people are reluctant to factor in all that. But it's unquestionably determined the destination of the title this season. Let's put it this way: if either Chelsea or City weren't involved in the CL next season they'd win the PL by a country mile.

Mourinho knows a win completely knocks the stuffing out of the hype and puts a lot of pressure on an inexperienced squad and manager. It also put's them in with a chance of winning the title on the last day. He's surprised a lot of teams this season and he could do it again.

It's a long shot but he didn't get to where he is by giving up league titles without a fight. Plus he always wins the league in his first season.
I'd dearly love that to happen mate. But I reckon he'll be more pragmatic than that. His shot at glory this year is a CL win. He's driven by that tournament. And he's won the title before with Chelsea but not the CL. He'll reason with himself that he can come back easily enough for the PL title next season.

City will not win all there games

Liverpool could get beaten Sunday and they will still win that
Exactly. And if that happens it's then extremely likely they'll win the league once we prevent City from taking the points against us, all the while seeing Arsenal win thei remaining games and we miss fourth anyway.

The nightmare scenario is back on.

I saw us at home to Palace as well mate, it happens.

The RS have never in their history won 12 league games on the bounce.....they've been riding their luck for weeks, they're due to come unstuck imo.

A defeat on Sunday and they could easily bottle Palace away.
No chance lid. The RS win all of their remaining games easily. I also think Chelsea will be given a right royal tonking too.

However, wouldn't it be nice for Torres to return to his ex-team and net a couple of goals and take the points for Chelsea?

I'd dearly love that to happen mate. But I reckon he'll be more pragmatic than that. His shot at glory this year is a CL win. He's driven by that tournament. And he's won the title before with Chelsea but not the CL. He'll reason with himself that he can come back easily enough for the PL title next season.

Pragmatist he is he'll also know they're the outsiders in the CL. I think he'll go there to win. Why not, he's got nothing to lose.

Also, whoever is picked is playing to win a place in a potential CL Final.

I think he'll go for the shutout and hit on the break most of the other big sides have been too proud, or stupid, to adopt. If anyone's capable of it he is!

Intriguing game none the less. Would he risk a heavy defeat playing a half-arsed side at this point in the season knowing the effect it could have on the morale?

Worthy champions? Not a chance. How can that be even suggested in all seriousness?

If they do it next season having played the extra 14 games Chelsea and Man City have had to contend with this season then there's a reasonable debate to be had about 'worthy champions'.

It's like someone saying they legitimately won a race over 100 metres when their biggest opponents all had ankle weights on them.

14 extra games and realistically where would Liverpool be right now? Scrapping with us and Arsenal for 4th place. There's no question about that.
davek..do you think the plan then was not to be in europe c/l for a few seasons.if its such a hindrance with all the extra games and that why is every team ..including everton..trying desparetlly to get in it..besides the obvious money implications for the clubs surely its the fans wishes also to go and see those extra 14 games you mention..arsenal chelsea utd etc usually have the money and the squad in order to play those extra games dont they..admittingly liverpool dont possess that depth yet so yes it has helped them this season not to be in it...but dont think it was by preference do you..

Liverpool are worthy champions. It's not their fault they've played less games than their rivals who've been in Europe. Let's see how good they are next season when they're unable to field the same XI week in, week out and actually get a few injuries along the way. Unfortunately their rivals have been abysmal this season while they've found some fantastic form just when it counted.

davek..do you think the plan then was not to be in europe c/l for a few seasons.if its such a hindrance with all the extra games and that why is every team ..including everton..trying desparetlly to get in it..besides the obvious money implications for the clubs surely its the fans wishes also to go and see those extra 14 games you mention..arsenal chelsea utd etc usually have the money and the squad in order to play those extra games dont they..admittingly liverpool dont possess that depth yet so yes it has helped them this season not to be in it...but dont think it was by preference do you..
Doesn't matter whether they preferred it or not. It happened (and, to be honest, I think Liverpool avoided EL qualification last season like a it was a plague of locusts).

Having to play over a third of a season on top of the whole season is a mammoth task. It's bearable if those around you have the same burden. But when a team is in contention for the title who dont have that burden, it's a major factor that cant be ignored in judging performance and finishing position. It's not a controversial viewpoint. It's the only way of assessing the situation.

Liverpool are worthy champions. It's not their fault they've played less games than their rivals who've been in Europe. Let's see how good they are next season when they're unable to field the same XI week in, week out and actually get a few injuries along the way. Unfortunately their rivals have been abysmal this season while they've found some fantastic form just when it counted.

The first part of that statement contradicts the second part.

It's not done yet. Highly likely but it isn't done. Crowned themselves a little bit early for my taste.
stek .the only ones who are crowning it already are some pundits and definately most of the posters on here..some of whom gave it to us even before sundays close encounter with norwich..i for one will only accept it if and when they play the last game and count up the points..dont forget your own great run 8 wins out of the last 9 is pretty special imo..

Doesn't matter whether they preferred it or not. It happened (and, to be honest, I think Liverpool avoided EL qualification last season like a it was a plague of locusts).

Having to play over a third of a season on top of the whole season is a mammoth task. It's bearable if those around you have the same burden. But when a team is in contention for the title who dont have that burden, it's a major factor that cant be ignored in judging performance and finishing position. It's not a controversial viewpoint. It's the only way of assessing the situation.
maybe we should change the rules then and insist every team in the league has to play in europe..just to make it fair like..

The first part of that statement contradicts the second part.
Sorry for being thick, but how does it contradict it? I'm talking about this season, they're worthy winners. Next season they might 'suffer' from playing many more games. But that's got nothing to do with this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back