• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it borders on criminal that Carrick has won 31 caps and Peter Reid got 13......

Reidy didn't make his name with us until he was 28/29 though. There were less international games then too.

Don't see how it's relevant either. Different eras. You'd have to judge Reid's merits against the likes of Hoddle, Robson and other players from that era.

He was a fantastic player though. There's no doubting that.

Currently having a debate over on RAWK who the new number 7 will be. Someone mentioned Remy and that went down like a lead balloon as the usual emerged ' he isn't special enough to wear 7 '.

Other number 7 ' special ' wearers in the past.

Gary Ablett
Nigel Spackman
Alex Watson
Steve Staunton
Nicky Tanner
Ronnie Rosenthal
Nigel Clough
Vladimir Smicer
Robbie Keane

Keep it coming fellers

Currently having a debate over on RAWK who the new number 7 will be. Someone mentioned Remy and that went down like a lead balloon as the usual emerged ' he isn't special enough to wear 7 '.

Other number 7 ' special ' wearers in the past.

Gary Ablett
Nigel Spackman
Alex Watson
Steve Staunton
Nicky Tanner
Ronnie Rosenthal
Nigel Clough
Vladimir Smicer
Robbie Keane

Keep it coming fellers

Wow, really?

......... and we go full circle. Either was Gerrard and he played over a 100.

Yeah but I'm not arguing that Gerrard should of played that many either.

Neither were good enough in an England shirt to justify a position but you just asked how come Matt only had 8 caps. The reason was he wasn't very good. Doesn't justify Gerrard's clinging on there though.

Yeah but I'm not arguing that Gerrard should of played that many either.

Neither were good enough in an England shirt to justify a position but you just asked how come Matt only had 8 caps. The reason was he wasn't very good. Doesn't justify Gerrard's clinging on there though.

In an England shirt. We were pretty much discussing how Carrick and Reid only played bit parts in the England team, despite their obvious talents. I brought up Le Tissier because for his club Southampton, he was superb. The other names mentioned in this debate were/are equally superb for their clubs. You are selected to play for your country on form and how good you are as a player. The fact Le Tissier was only selected 8 times for his country was bizarre to say the least. As is Peter Reid with only winning 13 caps.

If Matt le Tissier was French or south American he would have been a worldwide superstar ha ha...... He was the victim of an English fa stuck in the dark ages and manager after manager who had no clue how to play him in an England team......he could have been so much more as a footballer if somebody had the balls to use his terrific skill and ability and stick players around him who would thrive off him... Sadly he never run the channels and he never tracked back so he was never gonna be an England international player of any note.

If Matt le Tissier was French or south American he would have been a worldwide superstar ha ha...... He was the victim of an English fa stuck in the dark ages and manager after manager who had no clue how to play him in an England team......he could have been so much more as a footballer if somebody had the balls to use his terrific skill and ability and stick players around him who would thrive off him... Sadly he never run the channels and he never tracked back so he was never gonna be an England international player of any note.

He was an incredible player... for Southampton, but he was given a few chances and he utterly sucked for England. I always wanted him to get his call up and when he did he was dire.

Off Topic but as I'd be interested to know who would have played instead of Lampard & Gerrard for England instead for the last few years, or at least since Scholes retired. Neither are world class but was there better options over a period of time?

Given what we have seen of Gareth Barry this past season, an England manager utilising him effectively might have been one possible option.

He was an incredible player... for Southampton, but he was given a few chances and he utterly sucked for England. I always wanted him to get his call up and when he did he was dire.
I know mate but a player like Tiss needs the team to play around him.... He's what would be probably called a luxury player....it's akin to messi and Argentina... Now Tiss is no messi by a long shot but the rinciple is the same, that argie team is set up to accommodate messi.... The team fits around him. That would never happen in an England team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back