• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being an old school fan, and dont give me loads of abuse,but gerrard was the nearest thing to the best i ever saw,Duncan Edwards.

Ahh ok. Are you basing this on the 'Match of the Day' Gerrard? The one who doesn't spray 20 60 yard balls over the wingers head and every shot is on target?

The bloke is an below average player now and even in his pomp wasn't ever world class. EVER.

I know mate but a player like Tiss needs the team to play around him.... He's what would be probably called a luxury player....it's akin to messi and Argentina... Now Tiss is no messi by a long shot but the rinciple is the same, that argie team is set up to accommodate messi.... The team fits around him. That would never happen in an England team.
Yeah but even at Southampton, if he didn't score a wondergoal, he may as well of not been there for a lot of games, very much a Berbatov style player, and when we had players like Gazza with that much skill but combined with a high work rate, it would be mad to build a team fpcused around him.

I'm not sure why Liverpool fans and the journalists covering England are so determined to retcon Gerrard into a career centre midfielder.

Benitez, who the loons laud as the best tactician of his era, wasted no time in shoving him out wide or up behind the striker where the team wouldn't be exposed by the massive gaps he leaves. Rodgers did the exact opposite and they ended up conceding 50 goals.

I'm not sure why Liverpool fans and the journalists covering England are so determined to retcon Gerrard into a career centre midfielder.

Benitez, who the loons laud as the best tactician of his era, wasted no time in shoving him out wide or up behind the striker where the team wouldn't be exposed by the massive gaps he leaves. Rodgers did the exact opposite and they ended up conceding 50 goals.

Gerrards been found out

Off Topic but as I'd be interested to know who would have played instead of Lampard & Gerrard for England instead for the last few years, or at least since Scholes retired. Neither are world class but was there better options over a period of time?
Even when he was at Villa and City, I suggested that having Gareth Barry alongside Gerrard or Lampard would vastly improve England. However no manager has had the balls to drop one of them

Where?? I knew he went missing towards the end of last season and he wasn't seen in Brazil...

is this some sort of Hide and Seek world record?

He is to be frozen and brought out in 50-60 years when the RS are in 2nd going into the last game........I still think he'll slip up though and blame the ice........

Le Tiss pretty much blew his chance when he played against Italy and got marked out of the game

It highlighted that when it came to top international sides, he wasn't really on their level

He was great in the Prem though. A real wizard at times

Many England forwards have been marked out of game after game after game.

Yet they still got/get selected. Of course, they play for 'certain' clubs.

How many caps will Welbeck get before it is deemed that he isn't 'really on their level'?

Many England forwards have been marked out of game after game after game.

Yet they still got/get selected. Of course, they play for 'certain' clubs.

How many caps will Welbeck get before it is deemed that he isn't 'really on their level'?

It was an especially bad performance mate and it just punched his England ticket for good.

Shearer, Ferdinand, Sheringham, Wright and even Cole were all more well rounded players than Le Tiss and it made sense that they'd be picked over him.

He had literally no answer for the Italians that night. He shouldn't have played really but pretty much everyone was injured and Hoddle rolled the dice on him and it didn't work out

Against the truly top international sides of the period, Germany, France, Italy, Brazil, Argentina etc, he wouldn't have been versatile enough to challenge them. At times in the Premier League, he'd be just sensational but he sadly proved that he wasn't up to it at the highest level

Le Tiss pretty much blew his chance when he played against Italy and got marked out of the game

It highlighted that when it came to top international sides, he wasn't really on their level

He was great in the Prem though. A real wizard at times
Not to have a pop at you Mikey but that's a classic problem with the England team ' he had his one or two goes and didn't do too well' so they get binned off in favour of the usual suspects. Baines is one of the current examples 'badly exposed during 1st half Italy' so let's give Luke Shaw a run in the team. Despite Barry's showing this year 'couldn't catch Ozil in 2010' so not considered.

It was an especially bad performance mate and it just punched his England ticket for good.

Shearer, Ferdinand, Sheringham, Wright and even Cole were all more well rounded players than Le Tiss and it made sense that they'd be picked over him.

He had literally no answer for the Italians that night. He shouldn't have played really but pretty much everyone was injured and Hoddle rolled the dice on him and it didn't work out

Against the truly top international sides of the period, Germany, France, Italy, Brazil, Argentina etc, he wouldn't have been versatile enough to challenge them. At times in the Premier League, he'd be just sensational but he sadly proved that he wasn't up to it at the highest level

Not having a pop either, but I think he was good enough and I don't buy it that being marked out of one game by a team that is notoriously defensive being the major reason for him getting 8 caps.

He wasn't a striker like the others you mentioned above (Cole getting only 15 caps and 1 goal being no more rounded than Le Tiss in doing what he did - Ferdinand was probably the same)

He was so much different and better than 99% of other players in the Prem at the time, yet he was shoe horned into a system, when maybe it should have been adapted to make the most of Englands best players.

I remember during Martin O'Neills time at Leicester he used Pontas Kamark as a man marker, famously marking Juninho, who was playing incredibly at the time, out of the game. He still went on to get 50 caps for Brazil.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back