Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

ECHO Comment: "Fears of Witch-hunt Against Liverpool FC"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Van Dijk in is a good buy. But 75 million?!? It's a pity the rest of their defensive unit stinks.

As many have mentioned, this sounds like the money being spent from the sale of Coutinho. The fab four turn into three and they're one injury from their attack turning sour.

High risk strategy from Klopp et al. They might be in for Fat Sam next Christmas if it goes belly up.

I suspect that is the likely outcome, you can spend what you like on defenders, the defenders they have there now aren’t bad ones they just have a manager incapable of organizing a defense, it’s really that simple.

Just look at the difference in our defenders in five games, it’s all about ability, organisation, I don’t think VD will make a blind bit of difference.

I feel a bit sorry for him to be honest, his reputation is going to take a hiding and he won’t win anything, if he moved to City or Chelsea he could become one of Europe’s most respected defenders.

Also feel it’s in terrible taste the way he and Liverpool are disrespecting Southampton, pictured with a Liverpool jersey before the signing is complete, they really are utterly classless.

Bad luck Virgil.

As it's a world record fee for a defender.

Is dijk world class? If he isn't and doesn't become one then it is a terrible deal.

You have to question whether the issue Liverpool will have also following this is whether they have a poor defence and this is fixing the issue or whether they have a poor defence tactically and therefore no matter who plays there will not change much.

Take us for example, we were leaking goals , 9 in 4 days if I recall at its worst. Now we have a manager who has conceded 1 goal in 7 games is it? Now our defenders are not good enough to keep so many teams out , we do need to replace 3 of them and Martina isn't a left back let alone good enough and yet we have stopped conceding. We have won enough games in that time and had enough opportunities in others (that we threw away) that this defence who were poor only a few weeks ago has given us a potential platform to actually get somewhere. If we stopped hoofing it all the first half and played on the deck , as well as with players to come into the team like bolasie, probably Barkley, a new striker (I hope), there is real potential there to form a good team again. It won't get us anywhere league wise, we have threw that away. But again like ore Martinez it could be a platform for the club to build on. .

So going back to the kopites here, is throwing 75 million at a defender going to fix the obvious defensive issue considering how constant they have them? Our season suggests they have a deeper issue than the players they have and the only way really 75 million will prove to be good value is if klopp goes and they get a man in to sure up the team into a unit rather than 4 players.

Williams would walk into their current defence and be world class. He’s an upgrade no question about that and don’t worry about the price. £50m and above is standard for a premier league defender.

Kyle Walker for one example. Danny Rose, the next?

Williams would walk into their current defence and be world class. He’s an upgrade no question about that and don’t worry about the price. £50m and above is standard for a premier league defender.

Kyle Walker for one example. Danny Rose, the next?
Williams is shot mate. Sorry but he is, looks good sitting deep in all out defend but most defenders in a block of 9 would look half decent.

Also feel it’s in terrible taste the way he and Liverpool are disrespecting Southampton, pictured with a Liverpool jersey before the signing is complete, they really are utterly classless.

Bad luck Virgil.
A local website has a picture of the goon in front of a Christmas tree holding his RS shirt with the caption that he has completed his move. How is this legal? I cannot stand their special treatment. I hope that he is a complete and utter flop there.

As it's a world record fee for a defender.

Is dijk world class? If he isn't and doesn't become one then it is a terrible deal.

You have to question whether the issue Liverpool will have also following this is whether they have a poor defence and this is fixing the issue or whether they have a poor defence tactically and therefore no matter who plays there will not change much.

Take us for example, we were leaking goals , 9 in 4 days if I recall at its worst. Now we have a manager who has conceded 1 goal in 7 games is it? Now our defenders are not good enough to keep so many teams out , we do need to replace 3 of them and Martina isn't a left back let alone good enough and yet we have stopped conceding. We have won enough games in that time and had enough opportunities in others (that we threw away) that this defence who were poor only a few weeks ago has given us a potential platform to actually get somewhere. If we stopped hoofing it all the first half and played on the deck , as well as with players to come into the team like bolasie, probably Barkley, a new striker (I hope), there is real potential there to form a good team again. It won't get us anywhere league wise, we have threw that away. But again like ore Martinez it could be a platform for the club to build on. .

So going back to the kopites here, is throwing 75 million at a defender going to fix the obvious defensive issue considering how constant they have them? Our season suggests they have a deeper issue than the players they have and the only way really 75 million will prove to be good value is if klopp goes and they get a man in to sure up the team into a unit rather than 4 players.
No he's not a world class defender. I'd he was he'd be playing in Spain and Holland would be going to Russia. The cult identified him as the solution and Klopp played that up and used it as an excuse while throwing his current defenders under a bus.

Quite why Van Dyyk is going to them, despite apparent interest from City is strange. There may already have been a contract signed last summer between the player and club that was potentially awkward for both.

He is very good footballer, of that there is no question but he's not an instant remedy to their ills.

If he stays fit he is an upgrade on what they have at present.
They are good going forward and the defence gets a lot of stick, but I can't help thinking its the midfield that let's them down at times , the balance just isn't right , maybe a new player or lallana getting fit and back on form might help them.
They are getting a good team together , the yanks will more than likely cock it up by selling a few of them hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back