• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

England's provisional 26 man squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clyne or Wlaker really. Doesn't make much of a difference really.

I've gone no winger types on purpose. Just think there are any good ones. Sterling has lost it. Don't need them.

But here's the team I fear he will play first game:

Hart

Walker
Cahill
Smalling
Rose

Henderson
Wilshire
Alli
Sterling

Rooney
Kane

Which is horrific.
Wilshere will defo start, and in a defensive midfield role probably ffs.

Clyne or Wlaker really. Doesn't make much of a difference really.

I've gone no winger types on purpose. Just think there are any good ones. Sterling has lost it. Don't need them.

But here's the team I fear he will play first game:

Hart

Walker
Cahill
Smalling
Rose

Henderson
Wilshire
Alli
Sterling

Rooney
Kane

Which is horrific.

He will have milner in for Wilshire

Because he doesn't deserve credit!!

Under him, England were an embarrassment at the last World Cup, YET he managed to keep his job.

The qualifiers (particularly for the Euros) have a load of gash teams in each group. No surprise we got through. The first decent team Hodgson comes up against, we'll be out.

He was wll on the way to turning the RS into a potential relegation team.

"...Picking players on form from less fancied clubs..." You are joking! Wilshire? Rashford? Henderson? Lallana? Milner? Do me a favour. He's picking his favourites. Why do you think he delayed his selection until today? So he could see if his favourite Jack got through the week-end game, that's why! He wanted desperately to pick someone who has hardly kicked a ball all season!!! Wake up!

Personally, I don't give a toss about the England team, but I look to see what is going on, and time after time, favourites from the big clubs (particularly London clubs) get chosen every time. The last time England had a chance of winning anything was when they could have picked up Brian Clough, and shat out on doing so. And it has been the same ever since. The suits in the FA haven't a clue...

when you look at the selection pool, i think it's unrealistic to expect anything really.

uruguay and italy had better squads, and a much better starting XI - costa rica topping the group showed how they were certainly no mugs as well. everything else in his tenure has been very encouraging for england imo. he's given a lot of players a chance to impress in an england shirt, of course there's going to be some selection mysteries. think it's a bit early to be calling rashford a favourite of his.

Jags should be there as experience cover.
Personally think it crazy to only take three players who regularly play at CB, especially when one of them is Smalling who up until this year has an awful injury record. I know Dier can fill in there but he's looked our best option for a defensive midfield and would be a shame to move him let alone him not having much experience in the role recently.

Why would you pick Defoe or Carroll before Wilshire?

Because as mentioned, we have 8 central midfielders, whereas, we have an untested, and unworthy player in Rashford. As for Wilshere, 141 completed league minutes this season says it all, why not take a punt on someone like Antonio? Who's had a storming season at West Ham (especially given that he signed on deadline day). Wilshere does not merit a place based on his performances (or lack of) this season. Waste of a pick, especially if he starts over someone like Alli.

Carroll, or Defoe at least offer something different to the speedy and energetic choice of attackers we have in Kane and Vardy, Rashford seems completely pointless.

Easy to see why stones got the nod, international football is a different beast, and it should suit stones, for that reason i would consider carrick over obe of milner, horrenderson or drinkwater, hopefully dier plays

Aye, we have some excellent options as goalkeepers and strikers and some decent midfielders - wingers and CBs are pretty poor unfortunately.

Smalling has had a good season but can't get over my feeling he's unreliable fitness wise.
Smalling is unreliable full stop, his oggy against us was just down to poor technique, sort of defender that does well in england but gets exposed elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back